Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

It's December 2013. How is your build?

aries61
10 years ago

November had a lot of activity that flowed into a second posting. Let's see this month. Hard to believe it's December already and the last month of the year. Time does fly by.

Comments (150)

• gingerjenny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

NickC33 can you tell me what granite that is? I really like it. I was also wondering if you had posted a layout of your kitchen anywhere on the forums? It looks like a great size and good for inspiration. Thanks

• hoosierbred
    10 years ago

I have to say, our electricians were the messiest of any crew we've had. They were great as far as getting all the wiring done in one day. They came Wednesday with a crew of 6-7 guys. DH wanted me to come down to check a change they made on can lights above our island. Glad I went down because I found two other things that were installed incorrectly. We have very tall mirrors for the vanities and they had placed the wiring for the vanity lights 6 inches too low. The exact measurement we wanted was on our spec document. And, they placed the light switches for the window seat sconces right where my back would hit them. They got all those changed before they left.

Yesterday it was in the single digits so too cold to be in the house but for a few minutes. So this morning DH and I went room by room to see if all the outlets and switches and lights and fans and doorbell and cable wires and cat5 cables were all in the right places. They missed two outlets on the outside and one in the laundry room. And, after doing more research on under cabinet outlets, I decided to change where they wired for that in the corner section of our kitchen. That is where we plan to keep the coffee pot. I was reading where most people prefer to have an outlet in their backsplash for appliances that are kept plugged in all the time instead of seeing a dangling cord all the time. We called the electrician earlier today to ask about the above things and he is coming back Monday to fix them.

But the mess they left drove me nuts and I spent a little while picking up tons of wire pieces and those nickel size metal pieces and all the other stuff they threw around. I swept the garage. The drywall guy is coming this afternoon to put up some sheet rock in the garage so they can insulate one of the walls. I wanted him to have a cleaner space to work. DH said he'd sweep and clean more this afternoon. DH is going to run speaker wire today.

DH and I went to pick out a color for our garage doors yesterday. We thought we were going with Chi raised panel, no window steel insulated doors. After looking at some more options we kind of both really liked the Chi steel mahogany accent carriage house doors with the Stockton windows. We thought it would look great and match our mahogany front door. They emailed us a price yesterday but it is not consistent with the pricing they gave us when we sent out bids. Waiting for a phone call back to see if we want to go over budget. :-)

And, we also picked out our stain yesterday for our stained trim and interior door package. Our painter wanted to use Zar stain and one Benjamin Moore paint store carried it. After talking with the paint store owner and the painter, DH might use the same stain on the kitchen cabinets instead of the stained Danish oil he was going to use.

The siding guys are supposed to come back around Christmas week. We hope we can get our front porch poured before they come. We were told by concrete guy that since we are having a tinted concrete the temps should not be below 26 degrees four days/nights in a row to avoid the blanketing. He said the finish on colored concrete is better if the temps are above 26. We'll see how that goes. We have another storm system coming in tonight with either freezing rain or 2-4 inches of snow depending on who you listen to.

• dutty
    10 years ago

Peony 23 So sorry... I just saw this! The tile is Atlas Concorde Calacatta. :)

• dutty
    10 years ago

NickC33
    Beautiful pictures! I love your granite, too!!

What color white are your cabinets? I know all monitors are different but it looks so soft and perfect in the picture.

So, everything seems to have ground to a halt on my end. The tile guy did start tiling our tub deck and I'm hoping it's not too busy. I wanted the hex to give it an older vibe but it's still looking too modern for me. I wanted real marble floors in a mosaic but DH and the GC bullied me into porcelain and won. Funny thing, pushing me into the "calacatta" floor tiles has now made the counters exponentially more expensive. Carrara would have been in budget but calacatta... like 3x the price. Sigh. Not sure what I'll do yet. Maybe quartz but then I'll be even MORE modern. I'm sad about it.

• NickC33
    10 years ago

Autumn- I ordered about 5 samples of glass tile backsplash, but we are still deciding which to go with. They had our granite covered up until Tuesday so when we close next week we will be able to make a decision. I'm so excited to get that and the hardware done.

gingerjenny- I had to get the granite the sneak because it wasn't one of our builders options. I think the guy told me it was Magnesium White, but it looks just like Meera White granite when I searched for it online. I will post our floor plan below so you can see the kitchen

dutty- Thank you. I love your tub. The cabinets are by Merillat and the color is Chiffon

• thisishishouse
    10 years ago

NickC33: Love your dark wood floors, and the kitchen granite as well.

Can you share any details on each?

• mommytoty
    10 years ago

dutty--If you do quartz on your vanity and want to make it less modern, you can do a more traditional edge like ogee. Just an idea! :)

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

dutty, Love your tub surround. I have never seen a surround done with the small tiles.

Hoosier, Wow all the electrical wiring done in one day is great. We have one guys doing it room by room and it is taking long time. When is you expected completion date. Glad that you have selected the garage doors. We need to do that still.

Autumn, So glad you got the blum hardware for drawers with no increase in price :)
    Have you decided on the granite?

On our front the electrician is slowly chugging along and our front door is scheduled for deliver when ever we want it. Roof is supposed to start on Monday. Need to decide on the counter top and bathroom vanities soon.

• mushcreek
    10 years ago

What do you do when you're hosting Thanksgiving and your house isn't done yet? Have everyone over anyway! The first shot is the set table in our unfinished basement, and the second shot is our range in the even-less-finished kitchen. If you look closely, you'll see a big loaf of bread in the oven, though. The dinner went off without a hitch, and we'll have stories to tell forever!

• mommyto4boys
    10 years ago

Duty....it looks wonderful!!! The hardware and decorations can help get the look you vision too. I think I'm going to steal your tub deck layout. We have a place for our tub between the toilet closet and shower for our tub. A free standing unit would look awesome. I was torn because I would miss the deck and a place to set towels, magazines candles, etc. and now I can have both!!!! I just didn't think I wanted a large rectangle taking up all the space....love what you did! Thanks for sharing :)

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

duty-no help here - I think it looks wonderful. I can't even decide on light fixtures without help. Ack!

hoosiers-snagged a 'spare' one hour between kid running to start on electrical placement. We didn't get very far but thankfully agreed on most everything. We do a walk through with the electrician tomorrow morning.

nickc-I have yet to decide on any of those. Ready to get started though. I hope to make some of those decisions over Christmas break.

akshars-no, not yet. I am thinking DH should go with me to see them in person. Sometimes he has a good eye on things I may not be thinking about...although I don't admit that often. ;) We did get pricing on Friday - the spread is $700 from the choices I had him price so not terrible. Oddly the quartz was the very least expensive, I wasn't expecting that. We are also waiting on final framing bill to see how much wiggle room we have to decide how much we'd want to use for counters.

mushcreek-that looks great! What a great attitude and wonderful memories as well. Kudos to you! Saying that on the heals of nixing Christmas at the rental...but then again I don't even have enough seats for everyone right now so it would have been a memory but not a very comfortable one.

Windows are all in. I haven't taken a picture yet though - or rather the one I took had work vehicles parked in front so not a great view. It definitely is shaping up into a house looking structure. :) HVAC continuing to go in.

• mommytoty
    10 years ago

We have a finished roof (see pic taken a few days ago)! HVAC and rough plumbing are almost done. Siding has been delivered but waiting on the windows that come in tomorrow. They started some siding on parts of the house with no windows and it looks great (even though the yellow primer is not particularly pretty)! We should be close to buttoned up by the end of the week (exterior doors not ready but they are putting in temporary ones). Yay!!!

I bought cabinet hardware for everything except my daughter's vanity last Friday (took advantage of Restoration Hardware 20% off). It was a tough choice, but decided on oil rubbed bronze finish for the kitchen. I wanted to make the space more casual/beachy and thought this would help achieve that. Crossing my fingers everything will come together as I envision!

We had our walk through with the electrician about a week ago and are in the process of finalizing that plan. I've ordered most of my lighting, but am stuck on a couple wall sconces and vanity lights for the kids. Plus, I didn't realize we had to pick out the under cabinet lighting and that it comes out of the "lighting fixtures" budget instead of "electrical" budget, so now I need to squeeze those in the budget and don't even know what kind to get. Any suggestions???

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Mommtototy-wow you have a lot done! We are hoping to be that far by Jan 1. I am trying to figure out kitchen/dining lighting because it's so open and I am not a style expert! UCL-we just ordered WAC LED tape. We put them in our last house and loved them, dimmable too. I think I posted a pic of them at one point in kitchens. I'll try to find the old thread and link it.

edit to add link

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on UCL

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 17:31

• mommytoty
    10 years ago

[Deleted duplicate. Not sure how this happened!]

Autumn--Thanks for the suggestion on the UCL. I will definitely look into those!!

This post was edited by mommytoty on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 18:46

• dutty
    10 years ago

mommytoty - Wow. With all the thinking and stewing over this issue, it NEVER occurred to me to put an old fashioned edge on the quartz. In my mind "quartz=modern" and I couldn't get past that but your suggestion opens things up for me. :D

mushcreek Awesome! You weren't gonna let a little matter of no kitchen and no dining room stop you from hosting dinner! I bet it'll be one of the most memorable and best memories you'll have.

mommyto4boys Oh, I'm so glad you like it. Like you, I was going to do a freestanding tub in that space. I was supposed to have a steam shower but when that got nixed I decided I had to have one "luxury" in the bath and decided on a Jason Hydrotherapy tub and it needed a deck. This "freestanding deck" was my attempt to still keep a bit of freestanding mojo... I wasn't sure how it would look/work.

As for your undercabinet lights, I'm getting LED tape online. You can plug it into a normal outlet so I just put an outlet inside one of my cabinets and I can run the led tape whenever I feel up to it. ;)

autumn.4 Uggh. Tell me about it. I did no cans upstairs and very few downstairs so I've needed to pick A TON of fixtures. The builder WAAAAY under-budgeted lighting and we're at least 10K over so we've been agonizing over lighting decisions. At least for lighting though, I can do it myself without going through the builder and being on a time crunch. I'm placing the final lighting order today. It will be a sigh of relief to say the least.

• dutty
    10 years ago

Autumn.4 - Awww... your post tugged on my heartstrings about your 8 year old. I tried to convince the kids to skip the tree this year since we will be packing. My 8 year old son said, "that's a good idea mom" but I could see on his face that he was dejected. So, we went and got a "small" tree. We couldn't get to any of our ornaments though so we bought a giant tub of target red and white ones and said it's a "Cat in the Hat" tree. :D

When do you move in? You're on HVAC now, right? At the rate we're going you'll probably beat us to the punch! LOL. We were supposed to be in by Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then December 15th but it looks more like January 31st if I'm lucky. So, we are living in boxes and counting the days but my GC will only schedule things when he's taken a draw and has funds so it's taking forever!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Just finished electrical walk through - it took about 2 hours. I think it went well and I hope we didn't forget anything. Electrician had some helpful suggestions as well and dh and I are still talking so it's all good - haha! We had a couple of give and takes but we ended up even steven. They anticipate being finished before Christmas - WOW! It is snowing like crazy - can barely see so yet again no pics but I am loving going out there. I am not loving using hand and foot warmers and still being cold. Septic guys arrived as I was leaving - the snow is coming down so hard I wonder how long it will take them to do their thing.

dutty-there is NO WAY I could pick out that much lighting and stay sane. We have a fair amount of cans. I think I have to pick out literally less than 10 fixtures and I am struggling. If my style only had a name....... Eee gads - that is quite an overage. :/ At least it's with something pretty - our hefty overage was with excavating - and dirt isn't all that exciting to me.

• dutty
    10 years ago

Autumn.4 hahahaha! No, dirt isn't that exciting. Well, it's exciting the first day they break ground and then... not so much!

Yes, quite the overage. I sorta get that the GC didn't anticipate me choosing not to use cans. That said, even if I had used cans he still WAAAAAY WAAAAY under-budgeted. Cans are cheap compared to light fixtures for sure. I'm over 100 fixtures/fans in the house at last count so you can imagine. Thankfully I had already planned for lighting money in our household budget but not THAT much. I could do it slowly over time but I'm so done with the process that I don't want to spend the next year slowly shopping for ANYTHING. LOL

Your style not having a name will make it infinitely more interesting! Try not to worry too much. I've mixed styles, metals, finishes... I hope it comes out as "interesting" as I imagine and not fugly. :) Care to share your dilemma or what you've picked?

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

dutty-so the little tree a friend let us borrow - the 8 year old HUGS IT...daily. I am sure to plug it in right away when I get up so when he comes downstairs it's lit. He has so much Christmas spirit he could be an elf. ;)

lighting-the electrician said he was just at a house that went 30 cans over what was originally planned and quoted - all on the OUTSIDE of the house - easy $5 grand right there. Yowsa! I am sure it will look awesome though.

Sure - here is a link to a post I started in Kitchens and just now cross posted in home decorating. I added a bit more to the new thread so I'll link that one and the kitchen one is linked in it as well. Any thoughts - please do post them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighting Help Post

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

Lisa, I really think you need to match your "metals" finish first. So stick with the brushed nickel.
    Really past that, you just need to go with something you really like. It is your house darlin' :)

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

lori-you are right - it is isn't it?! Way to point out the obvious. ;) Thank you for the clarity. I have never claimed to be a fashionista so I guess as long as I like it it works!

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

Mushcreek, Love the way you went about the Thanksgiving dinner. I am sure everyone will remember it.

Autumn, Glad to hear your 8 Year old is loving the tree. My son just turned 8 on Saturday. I love this age :). I am no lighting expert but will be watching the thread to see as I have to start on that once I am done with the bathroom vanities and the counter top selection.

Dutty, wow 100 light fixtures. No wonder you went over the budget :) I think i need to start making a list soon. I am sure I underestimated he lighting budget as well.

Things moving slowly here. electrician is the only one working on the house. Hopping roof will be done before Christmas but let us see.

Are any of you giving Christmas gift to the contractor or sub contractors? Did not even think about it until I saw a thread in a different forum.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

NP Lisa, that's what I'm good at...lol

akshars, not so much gifts, but I am planning on having a party/BBQ for them after it's all said & done. :)

• dutty
    10 years ago

Autumn.4 - I posted a diatribe to your thread in kitchens. I'm going farther and saying, you don't even need to match metals! Mixing finishes is tres chic.You need to find what you love! You need to swoon over your choice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisa's lighting thread

• dutty
    10 years ago

Are any of you giving Christmas gift to the contractor or sub contractors? Did not even think about it until I saw a thread in a different forum.

Oh gosh, really? Crap... is that a thing now?

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

Dutty,
    I am also not sure about the Gifts part. I may give a bottle of wine or something to the GC.
    The link below is the discussion I saw.

Here is a link that might be useful: gift to contractor

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

dutty-okay so yes, I have run into those instances where I like the light but it's not in the finish I wanted but swoon - no. I have not gotten there yet at all. I will have to revisit the lights I liked that were different finishes and see once. Most times though it's more than I want to spend! I'd rather go over on a nice sink or something. I will do more searching and post some options here. I do kinda like (not over the top love) this one but it's about double what I want to spend:

Speaking of sinks. I think I may have shot myself in the foot with the sink base. I went with a 33" because I wanted the extra 3" in a my 4 drawer stack. I didn't realize it would be that limiting. I am leaning toward this one though: Blanco Precis Cascade

It fits in a 33". Of course that would require me to choose a granite so I could choose a color!

akshars-so I skipped countertops for now thinking lighting would be easier... I am hoping my indecision will pass once Christmas is over. :(
    8 is fun and mine is such a snuggly boy. Love it!

Gifts - well since dh is the GC I could get him a bottle of the wine I like, hahaha. Seriously, I still have a couple of relatives, Sunday school terachers and stocking stuffers to buy. No way do I have room in my brain to think about contractor gifts, ugh! I have brought pizza and donuts out several times. I hope they know how much we appreciate them but that said I haven't thought about Chrsitmas gifts at all. :(

• holcombe3
    10 years ago

Got our floors down this week. I am in love!

• NickC33
    10 years ago

Oops DP

This post was edited by NickC33 on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 23:22

• NickC33
    10 years ago

holcombe3- Pretty floors and wall color

oicu812 - The granite is Meera White and the floors are Shaw 00511 Lambert's Cove.

mommytoty- I wish I had gotten to that sale at Restoration Hardware. Sounds like you got a good deal. I hope I can catch a sale on some cabinet hardware too.

MushCreek- That looks like a lot of fun. If I could've done the same thing I would have.

I took some more pictures today when I went by the house. We closed yesterday and I am really excited to move into my first home. I know some people on this forum will hate my bedroom and bathroom because they are so massive, but I will share anyway :)

• NickC33
    10 years ago

Owners Suite

• NickC33
    10 years ago

Owners Bath

• mommytoty
    10 years ago

NickC33--I think the sale goes through today so you may still be able to get online tonight and order! Otherwise, if you sign up for their emails, they will notify you the next time they have a sale. I got 20% off and free shipping :)

• zkgardner
    10 years ago

Loribug: I love the style of your home, have you posted your floor plan? I don t recall seeing it:)

Dutty: I promise I'm not as obsessed with your build as it may seem ( ok , I am a little):)) what are the brand/style of your windows?

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

nickc-no worries, to each their own. If you love it then that is what is most important! I think I could manage in that SHOWER (we are shower and not bath people so tubs don't do much for me)! But I must say - I might just never come out so it's probably good that ours isn't as luxurious. ;) Looks like a great view out of the master. Ours is similar - woods and with any luck maybe a few deer. How exciting that you are finished and nearing move in and it is awesome for a first house. Thank you for finding and sharing your granite name. I like it also.

We ordered a couple of arches and those arrived yesterday. They are subtle vs. dramatic but I think will add a nice element. We are putting one over the stairwell, one over our shower alcove and then we have 2 half arches that flank the fireplace. I am excited about those.

Exterior window trim is starting. Other than that framing is complete! Siding is to start after the new year and insulation once the electrical and plumbing wraps up which should be before Christmas. I think there will be a lot of activity right after the holiday.

Dh likes 'any of the granite pictures I have showed him' so I am on my own there (good and bad). I will have to go back and get samples, so I can stew on that a little bit. I am not sure how much movement I want in a surface area that large. Hmm.

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

Nickc, Congratulations on Closing. What a great Christmas present :). Love the shower in the master bath :)

holcombe3, Floor looks great. Is that a window seat you are having built in the bay window? We are also going to have one. The window seat and the builtins around the fireplace are one my splurges for the house :)

Autumn, Can't wait to see your arches when they are installed. I understand how you feel about the granite selection :). my DH feels the same on most of the Kitchen stuff.

I am also hoping for lot of activity after the holidays. We are almost at the end of the electrical. Should be completed in a day or two and should have electrical inspection next week followed by insulation.
    Roof material is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. So hopefully they will begun the roof soon.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

•Posted by mrsfireman

Loribug: I love the style of your home, have you posted your floor plan? I don t recall seeing it:)

Thank you!! :)I love it too, my dream home!
    I think I posted them a way back, October or November thread...but here they are again.
    I started sketching, and putting rooms/dimensions together where we wanted and my dad took those & did my plans making it all buildable.

A few changes & tweaks since these, but nothing major.
    There are actually 4 windows across the front large-small-small-large to make it more symetrical.
    We took out the fireplace. Kitchen Island is LARGE rectangle now...single bowl vanity in up bath, since girls fight over counter/storage space more than sink space.
    Eyebrow above lower garage windows, to fix a water catch-all, making gutters work better.
    {{gwi:1510067}}
    {{gwi:1510068}}
    {{gwi:1510069}}
    {{gwi:1510070}}
    {{gwi:1510071}}
    {{gwi:1510072}}

• hoosierbred
    10 years ago

We are insulated! Well, as much as they can do now.

We had soundproofing insulation installed on the family room wall where the TV will be which is our bedroom on the other side. And the wall between master bathroom and master bedroom.

And also along the dining/kitchen wall with the laundry room on the other side.

They'll come back and blow in the attic insulation after drywall is installed.

And we had a window of warm air this week so the concrete guys came back and poured our front porch.

We had to cover our front door as we didn't want to take any chances of concrete splattering on it.

We have a recent college grad student who is helping DH and he is supposed to be doing the vapor barrier today in the crawl. I hope that gets done.

The siding is supposed to be installed right after Christmas. Then drywall. Then stone. Moving right along.

• NickC33
    10 years ago

Thanks akshars_mom and Autumn. I really find the massive shower so obnoxious, but it came with the owner's suite so I'm sure I will learn to love it, but just not love cleaning it. My husband on the other hand loves it.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

nickc-I can see your point about the cleaning - that would be quite a chore. Did you get the coating on the glass that helps avoid water spots? I definitely want that to help - we are on a well so I can use all the help I can get! Are you a reader? You have room in your master to put a nice cozy chair to have some quiet time (as if I know). A girl can dream though right?!

holcome-what kind of finish did you use? Very nice medium color. It really lets the character of the wood show through.

lori-we ended up with the same situation in our kids bath. I kept the linen cabinet and one sink but they each have their own drawers on either side. They will share a 54 inch vanity and a 18" linen.

hoosiers-I love that you are just a few steps ahead so I can see what we have to look forward to. :) We are planning insulation for a few interior walls to help control sound as well. Woohoo on having a warm snap to finish off your porch. We have that yet to pour as well as the driveway approach to the garage. I think our insulation and siding might be happening at the same time. Progress is progress!

akshars-I will be sure to take pics of them. I can't wait to see them either! They were really much less costly than we had initially thought. Granite-I really hope it's not as difficult as the kitchen cabinet choices were. When I envision the kitchen I can picture a backsplash but not really a countertop. I think it may be that the backsplash is a vertical surface and the counter is horizontal. ???

Anyone using light motion sensors? Maybe that's old technology now but I'm pretty excited to have it in the pantry, laundry room and locker area since my hands are normally full in those spots.

We have to get out there and take our screens out of the windows (and label them) to make sure they don't get damaged.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Holcombe, love your floors! are they Hickory?
    NickC, that's a great master bath. A lot of GW'ers don't care for large master suites, but personally I've always loved having a private retreat. I even had one in my house that I lived in in the 80's, and it was built in the 20's.

I'm still behind most of you here.
    We went out to the house today, and we are 95% done with the framing and sheathing. It's looking more like a house now. Windows get delivered tomorrow. So now we are looking at the upstairs bath and it's ludicrously narrow and small. It seems crazy since the hall on the other side of the wall is feet wider than necessary. So now we're debating asking the GC to have the framers move a wall. On the side of not having it moved, the upstairs is approx 600SF and includes 2 guest rooms that will be used a handful of times a year and the bath. On the side of having it moved, if we don't do it now we will regret it forever, and we don't intend to move again. This bath is unbelievably narrow. i guess I didn't realize it from the plans. And there is no reason it had to be that small given the space available.

Other than that, we've been busy with non-house stuff. Our youngest graduated from Grad school over the weekend. So we drove to NC for her graduation, and took an extra day and stopped at the furniture outlet in Hickory. Sensory furniture overload. We were able to sit in a number of leather chairs with ottomans. Unbelievably enough, the ONE that dh likes and thinks sits best is the BY chair that I picked out from pictures quite awhile ago. Doing the happy dance, because now he's on board to order what I wanted to start with!!

Lisa, yes, I've got my lighting picked out. The pic below shows just the primary pieces for the main floor because I was trying to establish a mood board to see if my choices are consistent from a design POV. I already own The dragonfly lamp which is going over the kitchen table in the bkfast room, and the crystal chandy pictured is something that is similar to mine. Mine is a vintage crystal chandelier from the 1920's and has been in every house I've owned since 1980.
    I do also have cans in the kitchen, and eyeballs throughout to spotlight artwork on walls, plus 10 ceiling fans. Dutty, I'm overwhelmed at thinking about 100 light fixtures. Think I might count mine now. ;-)

I got an email today that our custom color cabinet door is in, so dh should be able to pick that up tomorrow. I've got to go in for a complete cardio workup. :-(

I hope to get some pics this weekend, and will be back to post.

• uponthehilltop
    10 years ago

NickC- Would you happen to know the dimensions of your kitchen island? Love your home!

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

hoosier I am so envious!! I want insullation!!!

• uponthehilltop
    10 years ago

Hi everyone! We are just beginning our home building process. Well, just beginning the build. We have worked on the floor plan and details for almost 2 years while waiting on our old home to sell.
    We are building "up on a hilltop" and are planning for this to be our home until retirement, Lord willing!
    We wanted the land for 3 years but it was tied up with the builder and then with a bank. All together, the 2 lots together come out to just under 4 acres.
    Today, the foundation is being poured!
    I will try to attach a couple pics.
    Looking forward to this journey and seeing how everyone's homes progress in the months to come!

• uponthehilltop
    10 years ago

Duplicate

{{gwi:1516107}}

This post was edited by uponthehilltop on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 15:14

• uponthehilltop
    10 years ago

Triplicate :(

{{gwi:1516108}}

This post was edited by uponthehilltop on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 15:15

• uponthehilltop
    10 years ago

Quadruplicate ?!?!
    Sorry everyone!

{{gwi:1516109}}

This post was edited by uponthehilltop on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 15:17

• uponthehilltop
    10 years ago

Wow, not sure how that posted 1x with pic and 3x without!
    Is there an easy way to delete the triple post? So sorry everyone!

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

uponthehilltop, Good luck with the starting after a long wait. As far as I know you can delete a post entirely but can edit your post and delete the content and just say Duplicate post instead.

Autumn, I think you could be right in regards to visualizing the counter top. I know what I like the best with the counter top but may be over budget so that is the problem. I hope to do this in the next few days.
    In regards to motion sensor light we are doing on the exterior of the house and may be laundry and pantry.

Hooiser, the insulation looks great. Would love to see a closeup picture of your front door when possible.

mlweaving, Lights look great, love the blues you have going in the house. Don't worry about being behind I am sure you will catch up soon. Hope everything is ok with the doctors visit today.

Taking the day off today and will finalize the Vanities for the bathrooms and may visit a couple of granite places.

• rbattaglia24
    10 years ago

Uponthehilltop - congrats on the beginning. That was an exciting part because the changes were so major.

Autumn- I didn't even think of the motion sensors, but now I'm kind of wishing I would have for the laundry.

Holcombe3- the floors look great!

Sheetrock was complete this week and painting was started. We were told by our GC that painting would be completed and we're only sitting at about 40% complete so that is a little frustrating. I a positive note - I love the colors so far.

Some of the flooring also started today.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA