Return to the Building a Home Forum

o
It's December 2013. How is your build?

Posted by aries61 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 9:25

November had a lot of activity that flowed into a second posting. Let's see this month. Hard to believe it's December already and the last month of the year. Time does fly by.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's December 2013. How is your build?

No pictures to show but the foundation walls are filled, water-proofed and just backfilled. Just trying to tie up the rest of the loan so we can have cash on hand to start framing. Snow possible this week so I feel like we are getting into the dodgy weather season around here and want to get this thing up and closed off! How's everyone else doing?

o

Lot more progress end of this week with the insulation and sheet rocking. There have even been people over there working this weekend. They also put a temporary heater in the house just to keep it warm enough inside. We've already had temps close to zero here in MN and got a few inches off snow this week.

o

We are getting close, supposed to get our CO in 2 weeks. It seems like there is a lot of work left, we will have to see how it goes. Tile and hardwood floors have gone down, base cabinets set, granite template done, painters started.

photo P1040164.jpg

photo P1040149.jpg

photo P1040162.jpg

photo P1040157.jpg

o

After an extremely slow start, we finally have walls! Waterproofing and backfill will be done this week and framers will begin at the end of the week. I don't envy them working in the cold. The structure in foreground is the outbuilding. Since it is built into the hill, we are doing poured walls on 3 sides, scheduled to pour those today.Hopefully things will speed up now.

Really enjoy seeing everyone's progress!

o

No Pictures to post. They are currently working on HVAC and Plumbing. We are supposed to have inspection for the rough plumbing and electrical and mechanical tomorrow. And on Wednesday we are supposed to receive windows. This should be a eventful week if everything goes well.
Hoping that by end of December we have roof and electrical and insulation completed so we don't have to worry about rains.

Hope everyone can make progress in December.

o

Update time... November was a very productive month. We made much progress in all sorts of areas. I haven't been doing a very good job of getting pictures of everything but I'm doing my best. So far we've got our water well in, ground source wells in, electrical in, plumbing in, blown-in-blanket fiberglass insulation is in, septic is almost done (they will finish tomorrow), drywall starts tomorrow...

Here are a couple of pics... I know how much I enjoy seeing everyone's pictures.

Our GC spec'd an electric fireplace in our new build. I didn't want a "fake fireplace" so we thought we would just take a pass all together and save the allotted amount, however; a buddy came in and suggested we put the fireplace in a small framed in corner and it actually made all the sense in the world... I made the contractor install a B-vent unit instead of an electric one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

When I showed up tonight the drywall was being delivered. I've never seen such massive sheets of drywall. There were two younger guys there and I am very impressed with how they got all the rock into every room. You can see the blown in blanket along with some soundproofing we've done around the master bedroom...

I decided against having a normal retaining wall in front of our house. Due to the topography and how the house lays, we need a very large wall in the front of the house. I wanted to keep things as natural looking as possible and decided to build a Rossetta Outcropping wall. We chose Ozark Blend for our color. I had to show the driver where to offload half of the stones...

These blocks vary in size and some weigh in at close to 2000 lbs. The guys at the plant where I bought them were pretty skeptical when I told them I was going to install this thing myself. I did my homework and invited some pretty talented buddies to help out...

All the prep work was done by myself and my 16 year old son. He kept asking why we didn't just pay someone to do it. I think he thought I might have bit off a little more than we could do as well...

After a day of prep to get the leveling pad laid out, and a day of actually laying stones, we went as far as we could with the blocks they delivered. I have to get the rest of the blocks delivered and one more day should get this project behind me. The guy from the brick plant drove out to the site today and inspected our work. He was very surprised at our progress and complemented our work.

The last picture is of our screened in porch. The floor is stained concrete and it was poured last week. The forms will be stripped tomorrow and then our patio will be formed and poured. I cannot begin to describe how incredible the view is from the deck. We are so blessed to be able to build in this spot. I've tried to take pictures but everyone who visits tells me the pictures don't come close to showing how great the view is.

More updates later. I'm hoping to get our brickwork done and then get some flooring in.

Good luck to everyone on their builds...

Saftgeek-

o

Windows and doors are going in today. Hopefully siding will be next. Supposed to be rainy, snowy and cold later this week.

o

saftgeek - loving your comment re your son: "He kept asking why we didn't just pay someone to do it. I think he thought I might have bit off a little more than we could do as well...
You have come so far! Love seeing the insides with drywall and insulation. Moving right along!

pfieff-you are on to the 'pretties'. Sigh. Looking good....looking just about livable!

rb-you too! More and more definition to the spaces. :)

loessismore-nice view!

kelli-that will really change how it looks! I hope you post a pic!

Shingling has started. I didn't get a chance to get out there yesterday to take a picture. Definitely hope to tonight. It's a wintery mix this week, rain and snow. Crossing fingers the roof is complete by Friday.

I ordered faucets and sinks from the site neroselover posted last week. They are enroute - saved about $300. Yay! Door sample is not in yet so I haven't ordered kitchen cabs. And I have not done Christmas cards or gift shopping or....this is going to be one whirlwind of a season this year! I am sure you all are feeling the same. Ho-ho-ho!

Lisa

o

Not much to make "pretty" pictures right now, but here are some anyway...

Electrical is winding down...Definitely a custom job, still have whole house audio to go.

Talking to ADT about security system, but thinking I'll go wireless...

Ready to see some siding & stone, which I kinda thought was to be happening.

Doors still need to go in. Getting lots of orders in from my build.com order, and ready to get this thing done! :)

photo 20131201_144933_zps015d0ca2.jpg
 photo 20131201_144919_zps3a2b2aab.jpg
 photo 20131201_144915_zpse7ca34f4.jpg
 photo 20131201_144847_zpsb1de462c.jpg
 photo 20131201_144839_zps8c3ab92b.jpg
 photo 20131201_144833_zps8ead6a63.jpg
 photo 20131201_144757_zpsd6de3028.jpg
 photo 20131201_144750_zps1ff5395c.jpg
 photo 20131127_171147_zps32ab3b09.jpg

o

We are almost done with framing (just a few interior things left). Lots of things happening in December, hopefully before our 6 months of rain set in here in the NW! We have really lucked out on weather this fall! Roofing and rough plumbing start tomorrow. The back deck framing will start on Thursday. Windows and siding will be installed in the next couple weeks. Concrete for basement, back patio and front porch will be poured sometime this month also.

I finalized the cabinetry yesterday--so much work but I am really happy with it! :)

Took advantage of some Cyber Monday deals and ordered lots of my lighting online yesterday.

Plumbing fixtures are coming along, though I am a bit over budget so need to find a way to cut that back. I went to our local showroom picked out all my fixtures without knowing real prices (they give wholesale prices to plumber who then marks it up). Our plumber gives us just one total for fixtures and labor without providing my price for each fixture, so hard to know what I am overspending on! I have asked for a breakdown of pricing for each fixture, but am told he does not generally do that. I don't think it is unreasonable to want to know how much I am paying for each fixture. Surprises me that most people don't ask for this....In any event, he has agreed to give me a breakdown of prices for the last group of fixtures I added to the list which is what bumped me over budget, so hopefully I can make decisions based on that and stay within budget!

Here are pictures of the front and back as of this morning.

o

Everyone looks great!

rbattaglia - When you say you're at freezing temps, it makes me happy I'm not living up north anymore!! Sheet rock was the most fun stage for me because it finally looked like a house. Congrats!

pfieff - I LOVE LOVE LOVE that gray tile. Gorgeous. Congrats on being so close.

loessismore - OMG. That is positively a BEAUTIFUL site. I'm green with envy.

saftgeek - love the fireplace. I, too, didn't want a "fake fireplace" so we put in a real one with a gas starter. I'm hoping it'll be worth it! And, I'm LOLing about your son saying, "why didn't we just hire someone?" I'm trying to teach my kids about sweat equity but they just roll their eyes and they're only 7 and 8 years old. They've about had it with my trips to the house to "take care of something."

Loribug - Hahaha! LOVE the pup tied up to a stud. We did the same thing quite a few times. He did NOT like climbing the framed stairs so he stayed downstairs. So, I'm freaked out by how CLEAN your site is. Wow. To say ours was a MESS is an understatement and I had a feeling it wasn't exactly "normal."

How great that you were able to use build.com... our GC is very old school and wouldn't even consider it. We've been in many fights over sourcing materials. Grrrr.

o

mommytoty - You posted just before me so I missed you. :) Your plumbing nightmare is the EXACT nightmare I'm having currently. Funny thing is, our original plumbing bid had what I thought was a reasonable markup but when we switched to Grohe and Toto, suddenly the markup grew to 100%. It's so transparent what these guys are all about and I'm pissed. They "can't touch" online prices and are giving the whole "online retailers are selling factory seconds." Do they think I was born yesterday?! But, I'm so tired at this point I almost don't have any fight left in me. I hope you can resolve yours better than I have mine!

o

So, I know I loved seeing pics so I'm posting here but if these are too big or too many, let me know and I'll pull them down.

A lot has happened since I last posted! I've been avoiding even thinking about the house for two months because it was giving me heart palpitations. It's been so stressful but we are finally in the home stretch. We were supposed to be in by Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then by the end of 2013 but now it seems as if it'll be the end of January. Sigh.

Kids bathrooms are tiled:
Untitled
Untitled
photo

Master shower walls are tiled:
Untitled

Walls are being painted and my piano room is BLACK! :D
Untitled

My laundry room is blue but almost everywhere else is monochrome with molding and walls the same color:
Untitled

Much to my GC's dismay, the largest IKEA hack in history is underway. :D This is one of TWO storage units with everything in flat packs! They are starting on the uppers, and we will have stacked uppers on top of those to go to the ceiling. I know it's gonna be AWESOME no matter how much my GC disapproves!
Untitled
Untitled

Fitting the Stages 45 sink in the island
Untitled

Florida Joshua came and put in the smaller pieces of soapstone in the dry bar and butler's pantry and tomorrow he comes to template the kitchen and laundry room! He's the greatest!
Untitled
Untitled

o

Dutty- what color are your interior wall? And are you doing ikea doors also or just boxes?

I ended up using west highland white on our outbuildings all because of you! Id never seen it before and I love it:)

o

Dutty- what color are your interior wall? And are you doing ikea doors also or just boxes?

I ended up using west highland white on our outbuildings all because of you! Id never seen it before and I love it:)

o

I'm so thrilled to check in here and see so many pictures and so much progress.
We've been gone for a week. Went to see my kids and grandkids for Thanksgiving in Michigan...and had the added bonus of getting to meet Autumn from this board.
Loved the snow, but admittedly we get to come back to mid-70's weather today.

Went out to our build site today, and WOW, we have much of a second floor framed, and it looks so BIG!
When it was just the first floor it looked too small.
Framer on site told us that they are waiting on custom order of boards, so the back of the house roof framing and the ridge pole haven't been set.
I'll get pictures later and post.
I also realized today that I read the plans wrong and misunderstood the builder, and all of a sudden my studio space is Twice what I'd thought I was getting - it's the finished room over the garage. And my view from the window at the end of the room is going to be the best room in the house!

Dutty, love the floor tile on your kids bath - you've got me rethinking my choice for the guest bath. I love all your bath choices.

Lori, interesting to hear your preferences on lighting. I'm not at all certain I've got adequate lighting, and of course I'm over budget. I'd like to hire a consultant, but probably won't happen.
I also am not at all sure that I'm consistent in my style choices. Need to get all this sorted out soon.

Mommytoty, I'm amazed they won't give you a breakdown. We're dealing with Fergusons here, which isn't known as the most cost efficient, but they are widespread, huge in fact. And they've given me a folder for each area they're supplying, with pictures and prices for every single item. I've got a great rep I'm working with at Fergusons, and she's dealt with my zillions of questions, and pricing out various alternative. And she's suggested similar products at a lower price point for me several times - given me the opportunity to decide on higher or lower price for similar items.

o

dutty - love your bathroom floor tiles. They are so cool! Love your soapstone too - to bad it's not Michigan Joshua, lol!

mlweaving-70's? Really? You made it out just in time - another cold front is coming and it has rained all day long today! The studio room being the best view in the house is a pleasant surprise! Glad it didn't turn out to be the other kind of 'surprise' we are so sorry to tell you....ugh!

I will definitely need lighting help - meeting the decorator at the house on Monday for some tips. No pics again today - gray and raining when I got home so really quite dark. Shinglers only worked a half day due to weather.

It was fun to meet and talk build stuff with mlweaving. It is a small world. :)

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 19:41

o

saftgeek, Your moving along fast. Your retaining wall and brick look great.

Loribug, I have to agree you have such a clean build site. You are moving along fast. Looks like all rough plumbing and electrical is done. When is your expected move in date?

Mommytoty, I agree the kitchen cabinet and layout is hard. Your house is looking good. So many of you have such privacy.

dutty, love the soapstone and kids bathrooms. What is the size of your sink cabinet. We will have 46"sink cabinet and hoping we can fir the kohler stages 45 in it. KD things it should be ok as we have frameless cabinets.

Mlweaving, its great that you got to meat Autumn. You are doing a good job being ahead in all the selections

Autumn, Hope you receive the door soon and can order the cabinets done. Hope you can finish the roof shingles as planned by Friday.

o

The showroom I went to was Fergusons. They have "showroom prices" for all their items on display, which is something less than retail, but my sales person did not keep a running tab of my total as I was making selections, so when I left I had no idea what my total would be even with showroom prices. My plumber then decides how much I actually pay, depending on his up charge. Presumably, I pay less than showroom prices, but who knows when all I get is a total that includes labor and materials. I asked my GC this was typical and he said most people do not ask for a breakdown. I guess I am the only one on a budget around here!!

dutty--I love all your tile selections! That was another hard one for me. So many choices! I am supposed to be getting samples of everything I selected soon so that I can see it all together and make sure it all works and that I still like it!

o

Dutty, your home is gorgeous!!

What type of windows did you use? I love them!!

o

Marji "I also am not at all sure that I'm consistent in my style choices. Need to get all this sorted out soon."

You know I'm a firm believer that if it's something you like, who cares if it's consistent. I have this thing about "matching" fixtures, but on the flip side if it matches your taste, and you like it, go for it!!

Thank you so much for the compliments on my clean site. I do have some really anal workers lol
My electrician has been there a week & a half, and his helper sweeps the house at least twice a day. I think I'll hire him to clean after we move in!!! ha!

I should have taken a picture of the boxes of stuff in my current entry way last night. More coming today, and the refrigerator is to be delivered at our farm.

So exciting to see every one's pictures, and good to see you Dutty! I absolutely love your house!

o

It is DRY today (not sunny but DRY). I am smiling...... :)

Door is in - I pick it up on Friday and will hopefully place my order by Monday. I am antsy to see the door - it is our hopeful island selection.

Re style-I have yet to figure out what mine is. Our lifestyle is casual for sure but I do like sprinkles of more refined like the one cupboard that will have seeded glass doors and the mantle which will likely be constructed with crown molding and a light fixture here or there. I am counting on my ID to pull that mix of styles off! I have been gathering paint chips and they are all over the place too. Our last home was a lot of earth tones and I'm finding what I am pulling now has a lot more splashes of color. Time will tell!

dutty-the floor, the tile floor....I can't get it out of my head! How did you determine grout color for the basket weave and hex tiles? It is amazing. I'd love to use a small format tile for our master bathroom somehow. What is the hex tile you have chosen if you don't mind? I'd like to pull it up in a close up pic. Is it similar to this at all?
Small hex tile pic photo hextile_zps206aa096.jpg

We don't have a tile shower but want to tile above the alcove kind of like this:
 photo alcovebathtilepic_zps632ed125.jpg

lori-ditto here - your job site is spic and span. That is awesome! Have you sharpie'd out your kitchen yet? Unfortunately much of mine has washed out because it was wet when he drew it and it's gotten wet since so fading. I am determined to draw it out again once the roof is shingled and we can expect it to stay DRY!

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 12:20

o

For those thinking about hiring help with lighting: for our last remodel, we hired a lighting consultant. Her hourly rate was 100.00, but we didn't need a lot of hours and she passed her discount along to us, which ended up essentially covering her services. Plus we got a much better design that if we'd just kept winging it. We're getting her help for our new house, too. Email me if you are in the Seattle are and want a recomendation.

o

Autumn...I did sharpie it, but most of it has been swept away by my little cleaning fairy... lol

Here are a few pics of my kitchen layout..a few things have changed, but not much.

Appliances are SS, walls are NOT that weird color of green, but you get the jist.. :)

photo WALKERREV12-4-13_Pic3D2_zps512f3d19.jpg
 photo WALKERREV12-4-13_Pic3D1_zps2185fc50.jpg

o

Dutty, I, too, want to know where you got those pretty, slim windows from? Your build is looking good!

o

Our home has been finished for a couple of months and we finally got the last of the boxes moved out of the garage yesterday and my wife and I put epoxy pain on the garage floor today. Really made it look brighter.

photo DSC093041280x8531024x682_zps397dd44c.jpg

photo DSC093071024x683_zps9b15f981.jpg

o

LOTO: What kind of epoxy did you use? It looks great!

o

mrsfireman Yes... Westhighland White is so gorgeous. Nothing compared to it on the exterior. :) I'm happy you're loving it! The interior white is SW Pearly White. I love it... not to harsh, warm but still "white".

We are doing custom wood doors. We have too many hacks to use the IKEA doors. Then they'll be painted on site.

akshars mom The Stages sink is actually fitting in a 36" and 18" cabinet put together. We have a trash pullout in the 18" so we have the shallow ledge sitting over that and the main basin fits within the 36". If you're doing frameless cabinets, I definitely think the sink would fit... even if you had to trim a bit off the top edge/side it wouldn't effect the integrity of the cabs. We obviously had to trim the top edge to make the sink span the cabinets and the installers didn't seem to think it was a problem at all.

Untitled

aktillery and sanctuary girl I'm in SW Florida so aluminum windows are kinda all you can get due to hurricane codes. Vinyl and wood are either too much maintenance or ridiculously expensive. These are PGT impact rated windows. We actually used only three sizes across the whole house 24" x 76" (the ones you like), 48 x 76, and little 24 x 24 portal windows. They are single hung (I was bummed we couldn't swing double hung in the budget) but I really like them. Here you can see them from the outside… our architect was worried that the single windows would look too much like a commercial building but I'm glad I stuck to my guns cause I love them.

Untitled

o

Autumn THANK YOU!! Would you believe that I've been stressed for three days that I picked grout that was too dark! I'm so glad you told me you liked it. We picked the grout because we wanted to be sure that we could see the hex pattern and it wouldn't fade away in a sea of white. There actually weren't that many samples to choose from and it was the best gray without being too dark and it matched some of the gray swirls spot on. I think it's called Sterling Sliver. My son's bath with the basket weave had the same carrara marble so we went with the same grout. We used Calacutta in the master bath hexagons and went with porcelain look-alikes for the floor. I wanted real marble floors but hubby was set against the maintenance in our bath that's much larger.

All our marble came from MS International. Our hex has a lot more white and more variation than the one you pictured (we have some solid white, some solid gray, and a mix of everything in between). Yours is more uniform in color and darker overall. If you like the one you pictured, you might go lighter in the grout to highlight the hex shape! I'm such a fan of hexagon. :)

o

Thanks dutty for the details on the installation of Kohler stages sink. I wish I had done what you did with two cabinets instead of one big one. But glad you think it will fit. Waiting to see your Kitchen completed. What color are you painting the custom doors?
Love the exterior of your house. When Ever I see it I go Wow :)

o

Dutty, we too are going with aluminum. Can you share the manufacturer? They look great!!

I adore your house!

o

Sorry Dutty, I just retread your post and now see you shared the brand of your windows. Thank you!!

o

buildingsoon....The epoxy is made by Valspar and comes in a box with the 2 part epoxy and a container of cleaner/floor prep. An important part is making sure the floor is VERY clean. I've used this product several times and had good results but you have to follow the instructions or it will no adhere properly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage Floor Epoxy

o

Loto-great idea to apoxy. It looks bright but I think it will hold up and clean well. A friend did hers last year and hasn't regretted it. I think I shall add that to my list...

dutty-growing up my Mom had this white tile put in the bathroom - small pattern but not a standard hex or penny round, I have no idea what it was. Anyhow - tile was solid white and the grout was dark. I think it was perfect, it gave the tile shape definition (which is opposite of my thinking that the grout would stand out) and it was easy to clean. :) Every grout I have ever chosen ended up being lighter than I wanted once it was installed. I hope I learn this time! Your home is breathtaking inside and out. So crisp - love it. I don't think it was too many pics at all. Post away!

lori-send your sweeping fairy this way! Nice kitchen layout. I don't have any 3D renderings. He printed out the layout but on large paper for the installer (which would be me and my husband, hahaha) so I don't have it electronically.

Countertops-so every time I see a stone and I think oohhh I really like it, it ends up being Bianco Antico. Go figure. I need to look at it in person and get pricing. I think it would go well with BOTH white and stained cabs that I have chosen.

One of my orders from overstockdeals has arrived, no damage but they were faucets. The sinks are enroute. I hope they arrive safely. This is kind of a crazy time of year to order stuff with the holiday's and all.

Speaking of the holidays - anyone else a little more stressed (grouchy) with all of the house stuff PLUS Christmas lists, parties, shopping, cards, programs, ugh! I am feeling a little like this:
 photo thegrinch_zpsaa45b0bd.jpg

Here are pics from yesterday. Inspired by saftgeek I took a pic of our covered porch - well actually it was just build yesterday so I was pretty excited to see it! Rain arrived round 3:30 so they quick picked up some and took off. We haven't been there to clean up either so not a clean job site, excuse the materials strewn about. In the back you can faintly see stacks and stacks of wood my dh cut down while clearing off some trees from the perimeter of where we built. We have PLENTY of wood for campfires. :)

Porch
porch photo photo32_zpsa9b262ae.jpg

shingles photo photo13_zpsb790b83c.jpg

o

LOTO! Love that garage! :) I've been telling myself we need to do that in the new garage. But our concrete is so pretty! lol

o

LOTO, love that garage floor. How will it stand up to abrasive sand?

Dutty, your house pics are gorgeous! I love that Kohler sink you're using. I looked at it but don't have enough of a run to make it work. love the built in drainboard.

Autumn, your house is looking really nice. I like your front entry roof line.

OK, I'm about to ask for some input from those of you here.
I posted over on the Home Dec thread asking for feedback on lighting choices.
There is that adage to only use what you love. Well a lot of what I love doesn't necessarily play well together.
And I have the added challenge of owning a bit of stuff that is lots more formal than our retired life and build-style warrant. But I love it. ...
Anyway, if you get a minute will you go look at this thread and voice an opinion if you have one?

Thanks. And This thread is dealing with my powder room lighting dilemma

o

mlweaving....there is no such thing as sand of any kind in my neck of the woods (Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri)....only rocks, clay, and more rocks :)

o

I love seeing everyone's progress!

Slow week this week - but there is always something to do. We are waiting on our electrician. Phone call from him today said he'd start Monday and will get us done next week. We have lots of things waiting until we get the electric done.

Our high-efficiency fireplace was installed on Tuesday. This is the only photo I got while they were installing. As you can see, they had to do some offsetting to get it out through the roof. :-)

photo IMG_2974_zps80c77061.jpg

Our trim/beam/interior door guy also came Tuesday for a walk-thru. He's great. He was able to advise us with how to transition from the 9 ft ceiling of the entry into the vaulted 14+ ft ceiling of the family room. Also gave us some ideas on how to trim out the fireplace, too. Here is our inspiration photo for the beams in the family room. We will be adding beams at the bottom where the vault starts, so it kind of looks like a coffer ceiling.

We did go through the pain-staking chore of deciding where every outlet and switches we would like installed. And, we either marked them on walls or stapled labels with arrows and switch information. We have the electrical plan, but we didn't have the outlets/switches on there. That takes a lot of thought. I guess we'll see how good a job we did after we move in and live with it!

We were hoping the front door would be installed today but I guess it's not gonna happen. DH is going to staple up some heavy plastic over the door opening since we have a winter storm system coming later today with snow predictions of 5-9 inches. Yuck! The front door opening is pretty protected (south facing with a covered porch) but we definitely don't want to take any chances if the wind kicks up and starts swirling that snow around.

We just sent in our December bank draws. Boy was that a big one with framer, lumber, windows, exterior doors, roofer, roofing supplier, plumbing rough-in, fireplace, well hook-up, and HVAC rough-in. Plus we ordered (and will pay for) our geothermal unit so we could get the tax credit for 2013. Whew!

o

Update on my plumbing bid issues: I got the breakdown of pricing for the list of fixtures I added/changed that put me over budget and it wasn't making sense to me that I was being charged for new fixtures without getting credit for the fixtures that were being replaced. So, I sent an email to my plumber basically saying that I didn't think his numbers added up and showing the math as I thought it should be and he came back and agreed on most things, plus went out and got a lower price on my tub from another supplier and at the end of it, I saved about $1,000!! Goes to show that it really plays to pay clost attention to what you are being charged and not just pay it blindly. I totally get running out of steam and energy through this process, but it feels good when putting in the extra energy pays off!!

o

Mommytoty - Good idea to always check bids. I am a numbers person and checked every line item on every invoice. It saved us over $1300! Not a lot of money overall, but it was nice to get it back!

o

Loto, Great idea on the epoxy floor. We may borrow the idea also :)

Mommytoty, It is always good to souble check the bids and measurements you have control over. I just caugt a misunderstanding between the KD/Interior designer.Glad you saved 1000 dollars

Mlweaving, will check out the other threads you posted.

Hoosierbred,
You are moving along fast. Nice to see the fireplace installed.
On our front they could not finsh the plumbing on time for inspection :( so anothe rone scheduled for tomorrow. Hopefully they finish on time.
The cabinet orders were supposed to be placed today and the factory was supposed to sign off on th final order. I found something wrong last night when we got the final drawings :( and now we have to do the changes which will delay the process by two days :(.
I think today has not been to good with work stress and all these issues with the build. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon.

o

hoosiers-slow? I think you'd have to move backward for any of us to catch up! ;) Your window seats are going to be lovely! I was running around doing bank draw #2 myself today. Not quite as much stuff in it as yours but still hefty with shingling, lumber, framing, windows, exterior doors, pest control and exterior cement. Yikes.

mommytototy-a happy ending and $1,000! That is tremendous. What a great feeling!

akshars-I haven't ordered my cabs yet either and I'm afraid when the time comes we'll be waiting on them. :( What was the lead-time you were quoted? Ours was 7 weeks. I am heading that way tomorrow and hoping I love the door sample. Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully a better one for you.

I didn't get out there to check it out but the framer said the roof is on and 100% complete, yay! So relieved. So so relieved! We are supposed to have Lake Effect snow kick up this weekend. Crossing fingers it dissipates but it is December now.

o

Autumn,

Glad to hear that your roofing is done. It think you can worry less about the snow and other stuff. Are your windows in?
The cabinet lead time was 8 weeks from the order time. The KD did tell us be prepared for a delay of 1 week due to the holiday season. So we are anticipating 9 weeks at this point.
I think your build and our are in the same time frame. They "should" start roofing next week for us.
Good to hear you got what your ordered on overstock with out any issues. We have yet to receive ours.

o

akshars-I should expect a holiday delay for cabs also then. I need to place the order and I am ready but still a little nervous about it all. Windows are 'in' but not installed. Next week I hope. They are waiting at the lumber yard until we give the word to have them delivered to the job site. We are supposed to have temps in the teens - so cold! HVAC and plumber are coming on Monday to take a look and get started? We bought a heater that runs on propane to try to dry out the basement. It's wet and we really need it dried out asap. It should be easier now that the roof is on. We are still hoping to be in by spring break but I don't know...first things first. Our new build phrase is 'we are closer than we've ever been'. :)

overstock-all faucets have arrived. Sinks are supposed to arrive next week Tuesday. I am most concerned about those as they are more fragile. One of them is a pedestal.

o

We are now at paint prime. Went to check on house today and all the walls were primed a bright yellow, eeeekkkkk! The painter messed up as all our walls are supposed to be a beautiful silver grey color scheme. So next I guess, they are repriming the proper colors.

o

akshars_mom,

Who is doing your cabinets? What area are you in?

o

Autumn,
I too am a little nervous with the cabinets part as that is such a big expense for us. The biggest single item we are buying but at this point I have to pull the trigger or we will never get the house done :). Like you slogan for the build process. I should keep that in mind.
Good idea on the portable heater. Hopefully it will dry out soon.

Xc60, wow Yellow Prime :)

Nancy.ramos, Our Cabinets are being done by AS designs. We are in northern California.

o

Autumn,
I too am a little nervous with the cabinets part as that is such a big expense for us. The biggest single item we are buying but at this point I have to pull the trigger or we will never get the house done :). Like you slogan for the build process. I should keep that in mind.
Good idea on the portable heater. Hopefully it will dry out soon.

Xc60, wow Yellow Prime :)

Nancy.ramos, Our Cabinets are being done by AS designs. We are in northern California.

o

I did it - I signed on the design and the order. Been awake since 4 worrying about it but it's done. Photobucket (or my connection) is giving me grief so I can't post pics at the moment. I stopped at a granite yard on my way home from the 'big decision' and took a few pics of my samples with some slabs. I have no idea how much they cost yet of course but it was kind of fun to browse with an actual door sample.

The picture in my head shows a mild but colored backsplash but I don't think it will work with many of the granites I took pics of. I do not at all envision a variation of a white subway tile...??? Next decision.....ugh!

I will try again in a little bit to get the pics up.

xc60-that would be bright! Are you not still wore out from your last build? I don't know how you do it. Really, I don't. Are you building with similar materials/styles as last time or going completely different?

o

Autumn, Yay!! One major decision done :). I think we will be placing the order today also. So are you going with the Alder or Cherry for your island?
I hope to decide on the granite soon also. So I can move on from Kitchen to Bathrooms tile selection :)

o

Hahahha! Well...great question - I ended up with HICKORY for the island. The alder sample looked 'muddy' to me and the cherry I was afraid would pull red out of the flooring but it was really pretty. So I went with hickory (gray stain with black glaze) which I had also requested a sample of. Go figure! I am going to futz with photobucket and see if I can't get them to upload.

o

Here goes - finally got photobucket to download but had to move them all to the proper bucket.

So these are the correct colors (the white looks washed out or something in all the pics but you can get the idea) but NOT the door style:
Shiloh soft white for perimeter, Silas with Black Glaze on Hickory for Island and the floor is a pre-finished Hickory:
Silas Black Glaze & Soft White photo cabcolorswithflooring_zps1579adac.jpg

Here are some of the granites that I liked although I KNOW which one is Bianco Antico I am not positive on the others? I took pics but couldn't remember the names!

BA:
Bianco Antico photo photo34_zpsb01cb1b9.jpg

Bianco Antico photo photo33_zpsf00f2887.jpg

Azul Platino?
Azul Platino photo photo24_zpsab9cb834.jpg

Monte Cristo?
Monte Cristo? photo photo4_zpscb8c8ed4.jpg

Ivory Cream?
Bianco Romano? or Ivory Cream? photo photo25_zpsf2ce0e9e.jpg

Oyster Shell Quartz:
Oyster Shell Quartz photo photo14_zps321cfa1c.jpg

I took a pic of Bianco Romano too and I liked that but I missed it in my download. I will try to find that one.

More decorating things to ponder...

o

Exterior finished; driveway and sod just installed. All cabinets are up, floors are in, tiling is done. Now lots of trim work, painting, and of course my basement bar :)

Here is a link that might be useful: CH Home Build blog

o

Exterior finished; driveway and sod just installed. All cabinets are up, floors are in, tiling is done. Now lots of trim work, painting, and of course my basement bar :)

o

o

Hi Autumn, the bright yellow paint was very shocking, lol

I really love your cabinet samples with all the stones, wow! That would be a hard decision. My advice is to follow your heart, which one makes it sing! You can't go wrong with any of them.

Despite all the mistakes trades keep makIng I love building homes. We really loved our last home we built on the acreage, but there were a few things that made us decide to move back to town. Most of all, we missed all the conveniences of town life. Such as always having water, not having to have it hauled out to you, not driving on dangerous icy country roads in the winter, Our boys being right in town for activities, friends ... And I really missed my two story and walkout lot.

Our last house was a 2400sqft bungalow fully finished on both levels on two acres, witha triple pull-thru garage. Our new one is a 2900sqft two story walkout on a pond with a double garage, eeeekkkkk!

We are going with slightly different materials, some similar. One thing I changing is almost no white or light grout, lol I learned I can't keep it clean no matter what I do. Going with more silvery, white, grey and black palette instead of the more beigey one in last home. Adding white perimeter cabinets in kitchen instead of all espresso. Still doing espresso throughout rest of home as we really like it. Adding coffered ceiling in living room.... Lots of new exciting features. Our new house is not as grand looking on the outside due to city lot size and architectural guidelines, but the inside will be gorgeous! :)

Here is a picture of our last home I'm not sure I posted one here when we finished building.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And our new one, the crezon board still needs to be painted, trim will be commercial brown like soffits and the vertical parts will be painted same as siding, front door will be a dark wine like purple.

And a view of the little pond:

o

Autumn,
Love your island Cabinet color. I expected it something different when you said Grey stain but this looks great.
I remember you saying there is no fee for the glazing correct? That is a great option. Just curious was there a price difference between the Hickory/alder and cherry with Shilloh?

I think of your Granite choices I am liking the Bianco Antico or Monte cristo with your Island cabinet choice. I think since you are drawn to Bianco any way you have an easy choice :)

o

Renton,
Your house looks great.

Xc60, Like the stone you used on the house. Great view. It looks like a Pond/lake views are popular in many parts of the country. We have no such luxury here especially with city lots.

o

Thanks for the nice comments on the granite slabs. I was really kind of concerned the soft white would be too creamy to match much and I don't really like the caramel/gold/pink tones that are in some of them. Waiting on estimates now...that will determine A LOT.

renton-very nice. I love the stone and that great front porch. Sounds like you are on the home stretch. Do you have a move in date?

akshars-thanks. Now that the decision is final I am feeling good about it. Yep - glazing or highlighting was no extra charge, but brushing, distressing was. Cherry was more but I'm not sure how much (10%?). Not enough that for the island it made much of a difference but the gray on the cherry made it much less gray. I love the grain of cherry though - so pretty. I think aries knows so maybe she'll add her knowledge if I'm off on that. We ended up with the gray stain because I felt like it didn't fight with the tone of our wood floor. Some made it look more red or the floor made the samples look orange? Anyhow - that's how we arrived where we did. It's a color without being painted. I think it goes well with our current fireplace stone selection too since we have an open plan. I'll get around to posting that maybe tomorrow.

xc60-they are both very nice, I love your angle on your ranch and your front porch - looks familiar. ;) I really like your arches in your new home too. We are changing from a ranch to a 1 1/2 story. I think we'll like it! I have looked at espresso or java (I think it looks good with BA too) and like the look but something made me feel like it was too dark even though obviously it's not. We did go darker for our master bath but still not quite that dark. We are building in the woods which is opposite of what I am used to so I keep having thoughts of the house being darker and that is effecting some of my choices too.

That's great that you are more in the city AND have a pond. We are actually moving out of a sub and more into the country. :) Although I hope we like it because I cannot imagine doing this again real soon. Hehe!

o

Autumn: Cherry is a 5% up charge. Painting is a 10% up charge and brushing is another 10%. Hickory is a 4% deduct.

Just a little correction. It's not she'll know, but he'll know. My name is Jeff and my user name is my zodiac + year I was born.

I'm happy that you made your selection, just 1 of many.

o

aries-I did pause before making that sentence gender specific - 50/50 shot. Sorry about that. I knew you would know. :)

edit: and I do wonder why hickory has fallen out of grace and is less (not that my pocket book minds). It's a harder wood than alder and has some character in it's own right IMO. ?

I am happy too and content now with my selections. It was a relief. Have you decided what you are going to do in your kitchen?

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 5:45

o

Autumn, I love the monte cristo! That is one gorgeous slab!!! I also think ivory cream would go quite nicely with your cab colors!

o

Autumn and Aries, Thanks for the info on how pricing works with Shiloh Cabinets. It is to late for me and I did not find a local dealer for shiloh but was curious how it was. With my cabinets the Hickory was a 5% up charge over maple and cherry was 10% up charge. So it could be how different brands charge,

On to moulding selection today. We need to finalize the ceiling treatment for our living room as the electrical work has began and we need to tell them what direction we are going.

o

Renton, I'm loving your house. And xc60, can't wait to see the inside!
Autumn, it's great that you got your decision made re cabinet. If it comes to it, you don't need to make a bs decision before you finish the house and move it. If you look at the kitchen board here there is an entire cadre of folks that call themselves ABB - all but backsplash!
I love the movement in the monte cristo stone, but you'd really have to think about how you were templating before you selected that stone.

I have been really really struggling with the most minute of design decisions - the lighting, because the lighting sets the tone for the decorating. And I'm trying to make the switch to a low-country casual style. I'm finding it's a real bear to switch my thinking from what I've always been drawn to to what my vision is for this house.
I'm getting there.

o

Autumn- I like the Ivory Cream a lot, but I think I may be biased because it's close to the granite I selected.

Renton- Your home is really nice.

o

Dutty--what tile did you use on master bath walls? Your baths are all beautiful

o

Trench Warfare Continues Unabated:

Years from now, when Junior is a bit older and asks me, "Daddy, why can't we have nice things?" I'll look at him and solemnly say, "Change Order #1".

The whole house is torn up now and the ugly truth is laid bare. I *think* we've gotten through most of the "surprise!" moments[1], but I don't want to speak too soon so I'm knocking wood as I type this.

On the agenda for the remainder of this month: concrete work, waterproofing, french drains and maybe some framing if I'm lucky.

[1]You know that moment when the structural engineer and the contractor are standing over your retaining wall, looking at it and laughing, yeah... not good)

This post was edited by caben on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 1:20

o

I love watching everyone's progress! Its so fun to see the plans come to life. Autumn and akshars mom, I think we're at about the same stage. We (I think) should be getting windows delivered next week. Builders have told us mid July for completion, but I'm adding about 4 weeks in my head :).

This morning:

photo image-2.jpg

This is our 2nd custom build; the first was in 2006 and we sold it in September. Learned LOTS of hard lessons!!!

o

Caben, Looks like you are moving along. Understand change orders can be hard as you have not planned for them.

Jackson, Glad to see you post. Yes we are around the same stage. We just had windows delivered on Friday and installed on Saturday :). We hope to start the exterior wrapping and the roof in the next few days. Wow we are in the same phase and your are expecting July/August finish. How big is the house. We are told March 23rd and I am expecting mid to late April at this point.

o

Akshars, that's funny that there's that much of a difference in schedules, the house isn't really huge. We're anticipating 9-10 months total. We should be starting mechanical rough ins later this week or next. I'll be able to live vicariously through y'all finishing up several months before me!!!

o

caben-so true so true! It looks liek you are coming along just the same - maybe just a few more gray hairs and a lighter pocket book!

jackson-I am with akshars - I hope we are in before summer! We are *hoping* for April...beginning of April during spring break would be great!

askshars-pics with windows? Make sure you post some! Our are supposed to go in today or tomorrow and I cannot wait. We need some light in there! Thanks for popping over to kitchens. :) Now you can truly see my analysis paralysis is REAL.

o

Autumn,
I was so excited to see the windows go in on Saturday. With the delays we have had I did not expect them until some time this week.

Not too many great pictures due to lighting and using phone to take pictures but here is one.

I do understand about the Kitchen. It is hard to make so many decisions and sticking to budget.

o

akshars-very very nice! So refreshing to see light. :) Dh said the windows haven't been delivered yet so it looks like tomorrow instead. :/ Yeah, budget shmudget. Sigh. I don't feel like I have a lot of pretties that add cost. But if I go back to square one - the item I did not want to compromise on was the full extension drawer glides. I lost sight of that when he broke out the numbers. I am crossing fingers that I can work something else out to keep costs contained but have good hardware. I am going to see what LWO's suggestion would save too.

o

photo IMG_0436.jpg

photo IMG_0438.jpg

We are almost done with our upstairs bathroom. Right now we are working on the kitchen (stucco'd the interior walls and installed the floors).

o

Jridh, beautiful floors! And love the bathroom.

Electrician was supposed to have started today but no show. HVAC guys came back and re-did exhaust section for our chimney exhaust fan above the gas cooktop. It was installed incorrectly. DH had to temporarily mount the fan to prove they installed incorrectly. Glad it got fixed. They wanted to wait until drywall was done! Ummmm, no! They ended up removing a stud and moving it over. Yeah that would have been a lot of fun to fix after drywall. :-)

I am thankful we are under roof. I wouldn't want to be doing the footers and framing in this weather.

o

We are coming to the finish line. We had our inspection today, have our walk through with the builder tomorrow and will be closing next Tuesday.

I managed to snap a couple of pictures. I am very pleased with everything. We still have some projects to work on once we close.

o

Family Room

o

From office to entry/dining

o

The granite is my favorite. When I walked by it I had to have it.

o

Y'all are starting to make me really nervous with the delayed move in dates, and summer times. I HAVE to be done by March 1.
I'm NOT going to renew my construction loan...I really hope I don't have to eat those words, Please pray... :)

I love all the white, while not my style, It is very beautiful! :)

my latest love picture...and yes we still have no siding....

photo IMG_20131207_163300_zpsb6000d5a.jpg

This post was edited by loribug26 on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 10:19

o

jrdh, Beautiful floors. What are they?

Hooiserbred, Great that your DH and you caught the mistake on the vent hood. Being very hands on and catching these things early is going to make things go smoother for you. So you have all your appliances delivered to you already? Hope the electrician is here today.

NickC, Great news that you are almost there. everything is looking great. Love the Granite with your dark floors and Island. What is the color of your perimeter cabinets?

Loribug, What a beautiful scene. You should may be frame it and keep it in the house :). Don't worry about the delays. You are ahead of us and your Crew seems to be on schedule so I think you will make the Match 1 deadline. When are you supposed to finish when you started?

There was no one working on our house this morning. It is only the electrician doing the work now so may be he will be in later. We are supposed to start on roof soon. So hope they start soon.

o

jrdlh-very cool sink wall. :)

nickc-what granite is it? I really like your kitchen windows - so much light and a slightly different view with that angle.

lori-those are so picturesque - one in fall and one in winter. I can't wait to see spring (we'll all be moving in by then of course right?!)! Rooting you on to March 1 girl!

hoosiers-good catch! That would have been a frustrating mess to say the least. Agreed on being under roof and this weather. We had 2 unusally mild winters in a row and I think this year we are going to be paying up! It's horrible right now - awful slippery roads and no visibility due to the snow.

akshars-framers are planning on being done by this Friday...that means the windows will be in (YAY) and the stairs (double YAY) and whatever else odds and ends there are! Electrician comes out on Monday for a walk through for lighting placement. I really wish I knew more about 'things'. ID was out there with me yesterday and I truly am clueless about lighting sizes, structure possibilities or impossibilities (stairway). She had some good ideas for us and I at least know what size and how many pendants I need.

So with all of these meetings here and there - not much J.O.B. work is getting done. Good thing I saved some vacation days for the end of the year - always pad it in case the kids are struck with the flu but so far I have had to use them all for house stuff, but even thought its vaca there is guilt as I'm not in the office as much as usual and I am part-time as is!

o

Thanks guys. My first project will be completing the backsplash. I have no idea what I am doing, but it should be interesting.

akshars_mom-The perimeter cabinets are chiffon color by Merillat.

Autumn- I'm not sure what the granite is. Originally I had picked Cashmire White, but when we went to look at the slab it was awful and nothing like the sample the builder showed us, so while walking by I saw the granite we had installed and picked it. I tried do some research and it looks like Meera White.

o

Yes, that's my plan for all 4 seasons! :) I might just frame them when I get them all.

thanks for the encouragement!

Every one keep your heads up, winter is on my nerves already!

I did notice that the garage has the soffit done as of last night.

I was there in the dark, again...

o

Nick, your house is beautiful! Are you doing the backsplash yourself?

Autumn, I'm tired of all the snow and ice already and winter isn't officially here yet! BTW, I love all your granite choices. We actually bought our granite in Indy area before we moved down here. The selection and price were so much better up there. Even when they included two trip charges, we are able to get it at a much better price. The company is holding the slabs for us.

The HVAC guys got stuck in our driveway yesterday with the ice. DH had to pull them out with the tractor. And someone hit our mailbox last night and broke it. DH took a couple pieces of wood and got it standing again. It was a cheap temporary one anyway until after house was built.

The electrician called DH yesterday and said he'd be at the house today at 9:00 for our walk-thru. It was rough walking over all the ice into the house. The electrician was really impressed with all the work we had done on marking where we wanted outlets and how we wanted our switches. He had a couple suggestions but otherwise fast walk-thru and only took about 40 minutes. We even talked about the under counter lighting and under counter outlet strips. He said he could run it all. DH will actually install the under counter LED lights, but we wanted outlets and switches for those installed. They will be back tomorrow to start installing.

Our well guys are here this afternoon to finish up their work.

Thanks for sharing cabinet lead times. I talked to DH to see if he would be able to match those times. I said he'd have to let me know by January if he will be able to finish our cabinets or not. I don't want to pressure him, but Lordy it is stressful.

Akshars, we purchased all our appliances earlier this year while DH was still working. We tried to buy as much as we could before retirement. And, with DH making the custom cabinets, he wanted to know precise measurements of appliances. So, we actually moved some when we moved and others we were able to have delivered down here. We purchased 3 and 4 year maintenance plans on all of them. We are storing them all in the pole barn we built.

o

Thanks for the nice feedback!

The floors are 4.25" wide hickory planks. We have black ceilings so we wanted to have light floors as a contrast. Our top three were Hickory, Maple and Bamboo but ultimately we chose Hickory because it has the most varied texture of those three.

o

Autumn, Great news on getting teh stair and windows completed by Friday. I am also taking the help of ID on the lighting. She is doing one room at a time and now we have most of the lighting for rooms done. Intresting that you all have the electrical walk through before. Our electrical work has started based on the code requirements and what we have told the GC. we are suppoosed to do the electricla walkthrough for the lighting fixtures.
I am with you on the Job stuff. I was just telling my DH yesterday that if we ever do this again I am going to take a leave of absense from work to do it. It has been very stressful managing work and house stuff.

Hooiser, Marking all the oulets before hand was great idea. Glad you took the extended warranty to protect yourself.

Jrdh, Thanks for the info on the floor.

o

Jridh, I thought your floors might be hickory. We, too, have chosen a natural hickory floor because we are having mahogany stained cabinets and trim. We wanted the lighter floors since everything else was going to be dark. Seeing yours reassured me that we are making the right decision.

o

NickC33 - really nice kitchen. Love the windows. I'm not done and already regret allowing my GC to talk me into one 3x3 window. If my cabinets weren't already almost completed I would change. Your corner window is exactly what I wanted. Very nice...

Saftgeek-

o

I got my plow truck and the first day I need it the battery is dead... like needing to be replaced dead... it won't even run the lift off the alternator with the engine running.

loribug, are you going to take some of that field out of production, or will your garage be that close to the crops.

Renton, I love the elevation.

o

saftgeek-:( on getting talked out of things. Dh and I were just discussing that this morning but ours dealt more with excavating and getting talked into an 8' ceiling in the basement (not huge) but that was supposed to alleviate a house setting up higher than we really wanted and a driveway that is steeper as well. But alas, we ended up with the 8' ceiling and all those other things to boot! Domino effect that has altered many permanent things, grrrr. We try not to think about it too much because we just get really TICKED!

Lawpaw-that sure is a nice driveway view. Love the sun peaking through on the snow.

hoosier-you already have granite picked out too?! :) I better get on the stick! I am waiting for pricing of those I posted here and that will be an influencing factor. I don't prefer the pebbly look as much like the azul platino is. But we'll see what the fabricator comes up with for $. That is a GREAT idea to do a pre-walk through marking out with hubby. We can do that this weekend. Temps are in the teens here so it is so very bitter cold. Without the windows in and the sheathing covering all the window openings it is very dark in there. Framer hung a string of lights and that helps a little but it's dark before it's even dark outside. That should be remedied by Friday though! What is your plan for outlets along the wall in the kitchen? I've seen some interesting ideas over in kitchens (tucked up under the uppers so you don't see them) but anything I see around here is pretty traditional. We are having UCL also. Only one side (the one with the corner) will have it though as the outside cab goes to the counter.

lori-great idea with the pics - they will be classics! I hear ya on winter - although my 8 yo is so so excited and is pining for snow. Well we've got it! Silly boy - I think all his excitement and wishes for it might influencing our weather.

o

Wow. I haven't been on in a while and I've missed so much. Here in MN we got 2 feet of snow and it's made everything terrible. Just 30 minutes away they got 42 inches. Now the temps are well below zero and supposed to be -50 with windchill tonight.This is not making it easy to get our siding, garage doors, etc...completed.

LOTO - I hadn't thought of the epoxy, but my husband did, so that is good. I will be making sure that is a priority. Looks great!

autumn - love the counter choices...they are all great. I really like the Ivory Cream. We are also doing the white outer cabinets (painted maple) and dark island (alder)...can't wait to see how they both turn out.

NickC33 - your house looks great and congrats. I can't wait until that point - move in date!

I have to say this build has been pretty easy since we aren't doing any of the work. It's awesome to have a great GC who handles everything. The most stress for me definitely comes from wondering if my choices will all look ok together.

Sheet rocking is done and they are starting to tape and mud this week. Painting should be next so I have to get paint choices over to the GC this week. Then flooring is all ready and waiting to get started. Cabinets have been mostly built and they are coming to measure for the mantel next week.

Glad things are really starting to come together inside...even if we are delayed with siding :)

o

Finally sold our home... we can now move forward to build our new home. And will not have to move out of the builder's queue that we agreed upon last Spring. Yippee!

If all goes to plan on our builder's side we should be breaking ground in mid-May of next year.

o

LawPaw. Again, I love that driveway.
We aren't going to take much of the field out of production, there will be a bit more not farmed running up the driveway. DH is putting in a swail in the spring, before planting, to it will move it to the east a bit.
I told him when we started this I didn't want much yard to mow, so he'd best figure out how to farm as close as possible.

I realize that will up my dust and dirt factor, but I'm pretty used to that :)

o

New member, but I thought this would be a great forum to jump in on.
Weather has been a tiny bit of an issue for us as well as some communication clarification needs. However, as of today, we should have a crane coming to put the trusses for the roof, so we should be one step closer to dried in!

Here is a link that might be useful: My house building blog so far

o

rb24, Gld to hear you have greata GC and don't have to worry much. Looks like you are moving along fine. Once the drywall is in I think all the fun stuff like Cabinets/flooring and stuff start that should be fun to see.

Zoe, congrats on selling your house.

lawpaw, You driveway is looking great with all the snow.

We don't get snow here so love seeing all the pcitures.

Furball, welcome to the board. I think communication is a key to a succesful build. We have had some issues but so far but they were minor so they were able to correct them when we talk.

o

Thanks for the compliments. I love the windows as well. My home is a semi-customs home so I didn't really have a say in the design.

We are going to try to tackle the backsplash ourselves. It will be our first DIY project along with the hardware installation for the cabinets.

Lawpaw- I love that driveway

o

nickc-backsplash is a great thing to DIY, IMO. We did one in our last house. With 2 people it goes pretty smooth. Have you picked one out yet?

zoe-congrats on the home sale and staying in queue with the builder. Spring will be here before we know it (that's what I keep telling myself since winter has come on strong here this year).

fruball-welcome. Whereabouts are you building? It seems we have all had a good dose of weather issues this fall/winter. Getting closed in is a great feeling - you are close now!

rb-I always jokingly pronounce MN as MinneSNOWta. Yikes. That is a lot of snow. I will stop complaining now, lol! I am hoping for a warm up to 30 degrees, that would feel wonderful. Still waiting for an email from the fabricator. I can't wait to see your kitchen too. We were all set with the alder for the island but the hickory took the gray stain better (IMO), I was kind of surprised that it was so different.

Windows are 75% in as well as half a stairwell. ;) At least it was the upstairs so I did get to run up there a minute and walk around. It was too dark to get any good pics of the windows but they look proportionately sized, yay! With the rough opening they looked abnormally large so we were kind of sweating that a little.

Hopefully I will get some pics today. It does feel so much more like a house with the roof on and windows in. I was kind of hoping to be painting during Christmas break but I don't think that is going to happen. Probably just as well that I tackle that project while the kids are actually IN school.

Side note: 8 yo is starting to come around on the whole house thing and moving (but not re Christmas - "this will be the worst Christmas ever because we are in the rental and don't have a BIG tree", oy). We haven't had any tears in about a week, knock on wood. The dog on the other hand is still exhibiting signs of stress by chewing and eating the kids socks and underwear. She hasn't done that since she was a pup. Boo!

o

A lot has happened since I last posted a picture. We have windows, some doors, stairs to the basement. Shingles and electrical being put in. We picked out our floors and ordered kitchen cabinets. We bought lights and will be picking out our countertop soon. It has been freezing obviously, windchills in the negative 20's. Supposed to be 23 degrees today! Heatwave! Hoping to get the siding on. Also got our garage doors ordered. We had a little scare from our bank that we were almost 13,000 over after the first draw, luckily it was number errors and all is back to what it should be. I guess I needed a little heart attack to stay on my toes. Love seeing all the pictures and reading how everyone else is doing.

o

Porch with front door :)

o

NickC33 can you tell me what granite that is? I really like it. I was also wondering if you had posted a layout of your kitchen anywhere on the forums? It looks like a great size and good for inspiration. Thanks

o

I have to say, our electricians were the messiest of any crew we've had. They were great as far as getting all the wiring done in one day. They came Wednesday with a crew of 6-7 guys. DH wanted me to come down to check a change they made on can lights above our island. Glad I went down because I found two other things that were installed incorrectly. We have very tall mirrors for the vanities and they had placed the wiring for the vanity lights 6 inches too low. The exact measurement we wanted was on our spec document. And, they placed the light switches for the window seat sconces right where my back would hit them. They got all those changed before they left.

Yesterday it was in the single digits so too cold to be in the house but for a few minutes. So this morning DH and I went room by room to see if all the outlets and switches and lights and fans and doorbell and cable wires and cat5 cables were all in the right places. They missed two outlets on the outside and one in the laundry room. And, after doing more research on under cabinet outlets, I decided to change where they wired for that in the corner section of our kitchen. That is where we plan to keep the coffee pot. I was reading where most people prefer to have an outlet in their backsplash for appliances that are kept plugged in all the time instead of seeing a dangling cord all the time. We called the electrician earlier today to ask about the above things and he is coming back Monday to fix them.

But the mess they left drove me nuts and I spent a little while picking up tons of wire pieces and those nickel size metal pieces and all the other stuff they threw around. I swept the garage. The drywall guy is coming this afternoon to put up some sheet rock in the garage so they can insulate one of the walls. I wanted him to have a cleaner space to work. DH said he'd sweep and clean more this afternoon. DH is going to run speaker wire today.

DH and I went to pick out a color for our garage doors yesterday. We thought we were going with Chi raised panel, no window steel insulated doors. After looking at some more options we kind of both really liked the Chi steel mahogany accent carriage house doors with the Stockton windows. We thought it would look great and match our mahogany front door. They emailed us a price yesterday but it is not consistent with the pricing they gave us when we sent out bids. Waiting for a phone call back to see if we want to go over budget. :-)

And, we also picked out our stain yesterday for our stained trim and interior door package. Our painter wanted to use Zar stain and one Benjamin Moore paint store carried it. After talking with the paint store owner and the painter, DH might use the same stain on the kitchen cabinets instead of the stained Danish oil he was going to use.

The siding guys are supposed to come back around Christmas week. We hope we can get our front porch poured before they come. We were told by concrete guy that since we are having a tinted concrete the temps should not be below 26 degrees four days/nights in a row to avoid the blanketing. He said the finish on colored concrete is better if the temps are above 26. We'll see how that goes. We have another storm system coming in tonight with either freezing rain or 2-4 inches of snow depending on who you listen to.

o

Peony 23 So sorry... I just saw this! The tile is Atlas Concorde Calacatta. :)

o

NickC33
Beautiful pictures! I love your granite, too!!

What color white are your cabinets? I know all monitors are different but it looks so soft and perfect in the picture.

So, everything seems to have ground to a halt on my end. The tile guy did start tiling our tub deck and I'm hoping it's not too busy. I wanted the hex to give it an older vibe but it's still looking too modern for me. I wanted real marble floors in a mosaic but DH and the GC bullied me into porcelain and won. Funny thing, pushing me into the "calacatta" floor tiles has now made the counters exponentially more expensive. Carrara would have been in budget but calacatta... like 3x the price. Sigh. Not sure what I'll do yet. Maybe quartz but then I'll be even MORE modern. I'm sad about it.

o

Autumn- I ordered about 5 samples of glass tile backsplash, but we are still deciding which to go with. They had our granite covered up until Tuesday so when we close next week we will be able to make a decision. I'm so excited to get that and the hardware done.

gingerjenny- I had to get the granite the sneak because it wasn't one of our builders options. I think the guy told me it was Magnesium White, but it looks just like Meera White granite when I searched for it online. I will post our floor plan below so you can see the kitchen

dutty- Thank you. I love your tub. The cabinets are by Merillat and the color is Chiffon

o

NickC33: Love your dark wood floors, and the kitchen granite as well.

Can you share any details on each?

o

dutty--If you do quartz on your vanity and want to make it less modern, you can do a more traditional edge like ogee. Just an idea! :)

o

dutty, Love your tub surround. I have never seen a surround done with the small tiles.

Hoosier, Wow all the electrical wiring done in one day is great. We have one guys doing it room by room and it is taking long time. When is you expected completion date. Glad that you have selected the garage doors. We need to do that still.

Autumn, So glad you got the blum hardware for drawers with no increase in price :)
Have you decided on the granite?

On our front the electrician is slowly chugging along and our front door is scheduled for deliver when ever we want it. Roof is supposed to start on Monday. Need to decide on the counter top and bathroom vanities soon.

o

What do you do when you're hosting Thanksgiving and your house isn't done yet? Have everyone over anyway! The first shot is the set table in our unfinished basement, and the second shot is our range in the even-less-finished kitchen. If you look closely, you'll see a big loaf of bread in the oven, though. The dinner went off without a hitch, and we'll have stories to tell forever!

photo 042-1.jpg

photo 045.jpg

o

Duty....it looks wonderful!!! The hardware and decorations can help get the look you vision too. I think I'm going to steal your tub deck layout. We have a place for our tub between the toilet closet and shower for our tub. A free standing unit would look awesome. I was torn because I would miss the deck and a place to set towels, magazines candles, etc. and now I can have both!!!! I just didn't think I wanted a large rectangle taking up all the space....love what you did! Thanks for sharing :)

o

duty-no help here - I think it looks wonderful. I can't even decide on light fixtures without help. Ack!

hoosiers-snagged a 'spare' one hour between kid running to start on electrical placement. We didn't get very far but thankfully agreed on most everything. We do a walk through with the electrician tomorrow morning.

nickc-I have yet to decide on any of those. Ready to get started though. I hope to make some of those decisions over Christmas break.

akshars-no, not yet. I am thinking DH should go with me to see them in person. Sometimes he has a good eye on things I may not be thinking about...although I don't admit that often. ;) We did get pricing on Friday - the spread is $700 from the choices I had him price so not terrible. Oddly the quartz was the very least expensive, I wasn't expecting that. We are also waiting on final framing bill to see how much wiggle room we have to decide how much we'd want to use for counters.

mushcreek-that looks great! What a great attitude and wonderful memories as well. Kudos to you! Saying that on the heals of nixing Christmas at the rental...but then again I don't even have enough seats for everyone right now so it would have been a memory but not a very comfortable one.

Windows are all in. I haven't taken a picture yet though - or rather the one I took had work vehicles parked in front so not a great view. It definitely is shaping up into a house looking structure. :) HVAC continuing to go in.

o

We have a finished roof (see pic taken a few days ago)! HVAC and rough plumbing are almost done. Siding has been delivered but waiting on the windows that come in tomorrow. They started some siding on parts of the house with no windows and it looks great (even though the yellow primer is not particularly pretty)! We should be close to buttoned up by the end of the week (exterior doors not ready but they are putting in temporary ones). Yay!!!

I bought cabinet hardware for everything except my daughter's vanity last Friday (took advantage of Restoration Hardware 20% off). It was a tough choice, but decided on oil rubbed bronze finish for the kitchen. I wanted to make the space more casual/beachy and thought this would help achieve that. Crossing my fingers everything will come together as I envision!

We had our walk through with the electrician about a week ago and are in the process of finalizing that plan. I've ordered most of my lighting, but am stuck on a couple wall sconces and vanity lights for the kids. Plus, I didn't realize we had to pick out the under cabinet lighting and that it comes out of the "lighting fixtures" budget instead of "electrical" budget, so now I need to squeeze those in the budget and don't even know what kind to get. Any suggestions???

o

Mommtototy-wow you have a lot done! We are hoping to be that far by Jan 1. I am trying to figure out kitchen/dining lighting because it's so open and I am not a style expert! UCL-we just ordered WAC LED tape. We put them in our last house and loved them, dimmable too. I think I posted a pic of them at one point in kitchens. I'll try to find the old thread and link it.

edit to add link

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on UCL

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 17:31

o

[Deleted duplicate. Not sure how this happened!]

Autumn--Thanks for the suggestion on the UCL. I will definitely look into those!!

This post was edited by mommytoty on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 18:46

o

mommytoty - Wow. With all the thinking and stewing over this issue, it NEVER occurred to me to put an old fashioned edge on the quartz. In my mind "quartz=modern" and I couldn't get past that but your suggestion opens things up for me. :D

mushcreek Awesome! You weren't gonna let a little matter of no kitchen and no dining room stop you from hosting dinner! I bet it'll be one of the most memorable and best memories you'll have.

mommyto4boys Oh, I'm so glad you like it. Like you, I was going to do a freestanding tub in that space. I was supposed to have a steam shower but when that got nixed I decided I had to have one "luxury" in the bath and decided on a Jason Hydrotherapy tub and it needed a deck. This "freestanding deck" was my attempt to still keep a bit of freestanding mojo... I wasn't sure how it would look/work.

As for your undercabinet lights, I'm getting LED tape online. You can plug it into a normal outlet so I just put an outlet inside one of my cabinets and I can run the led tape whenever I feel up to it. ;)

autumn.4 Uggh. Tell me about it. I did no cans upstairs and very few downstairs so I've needed to pick A TON of fixtures. The builder WAAAAY under-budgeted lighting and we're at least 10K over so we've been agonizing over lighting decisions. At least for lighting though, I can do it myself without going through the builder and being on a time crunch. I'm placing the final lighting order today. It will be a sigh of relief to say the least.

o

Autumn.4 - Awww... your post tugged on my heartstrings about your 8 year old. I tried to convince the kids to skip the tree this year since we will be packing. My 8 year old son said, "that's a good idea mom" but I could see on his face that he was dejected. So, we went and got a "small" tree. We couldn't get to any of our ornaments though so we bought a giant tub of target red and white ones and said it's a "Cat in the Hat" tree. :D

When do you move in? You're on HVAC now, right? At the rate we're going you'll probably beat us to the punch! LOL. We were supposed to be in by Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then December 15th but it looks more like January 31st if I'm lucky. So, we are living in boxes and counting the days but my GC will only schedule things when he's taken a draw and has funds so it's taking forever!

o

Just finished electrical walk through - it took about 2 hours. I think it went well and I hope we didn't forget anything. Electrician had some helpful suggestions as well and dh and I are still talking so it's all good - haha! We had a couple of give and takes but we ended up even steven. They anticipate being finished before Christmas - WOW! It is snowing like crazy - can barely see so yet again no pics but I am loving going out there. I am not loving using hand and foot warmers and still being cold. Septic guys arrived as I was leaving - the snow is coming down so hard I wonder how long it will take them to do their thing.

dutty-there is NO WAY I could pick out that much lighting and stay sane. We have a fair amount of cans. I think I have to pick out literally less than 10 fixtures and I am struggling. If my style only had a name....... Eee gads - that is quite an overage. :/ At least it's with something pretty - our hefty overage was with excavating - and dirt isn't all that exciting to me.

o

Autumn.4 hahahaha! No, dirt isn't that exciting. Well, it's exciting the first day they break ground and then... not so much!

Yes, quite the overage. I sorta get that the GC didn't anticipate me choosing not to use cans. That said, even if I had used cans he still WAAAAAY WAAAAY under-budgeted. Cans are cheap compared to light fixtures for sure. I'm over 100 fixtures/fans in the house at last count so you can imagine. Thankfully I had already planned for lighting money in our household budget but not THAT much. I could do it slowly over time but I'm so done with the process that I don't want to spend the next year slowly shopping for ANYTHING. LOL

Your style not having a name will make it infinitely more interesting! Try not to worry too much. I've mixed styles, metals, finishes... I hope it comes out as "interesting" as I imagine and not fugly. :) Care to share your dilemma or what you've picked?

o

dutty-so the little tree a friend let us borrow - the 8 year old HUGS IT...daily. I am sure to plug it in right away when I get up so when he comes downstairs it's lit. He has so much Christmas spirit he could be an elf. ;)

lighting-the electrician said he was just at a house that went 30 cans over what was originally planned and quoted - all on the OUTSIDE of the house - easy $5 grand right there. Yowsa! I am sure it will look awesome though.

Sure - here is a link to a post I started in Kitchens and just now cross posted in home decorating. I added a bit more to the new thread so I'll link that one and the kitchen one is linked in it as well. Any thoughts - please do post them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighting Help Post

o

Lisa, I really think you need to match your "metals" finish first. So stick with the brushed nickel.
Really past that, you just need to go with something you really like. It is your house darlin' :)

o

lori-you are right - it is isn't it?! Way to point out the obvious. ;) Thank you for the clarity. I have never claimed to be a fashionista so I guess as long as I like it it works!

o

Mushcreek, Love the way you went about the Thanksgiving dinner. I am sure everyone will remember it.

Autumn, Glad to hear your 8 Year old is loving the tree. My son just turned 8 on Saturday. I love this age :). I am no lighting expert but will be watching the thread to see as I have to start on that once I am done with the bathroom vanities and the counter top selection.

Dutty, wow 100 light fixtures. No wonder you went over the budget :) I think i need to start making a list soon. I am sure I underestimated he lighting budget as well.

Things moving slowly here. electrician is the only one working on the house. Hopping roof will be done before Christmas but let us see.

Are any of you giving Christmas gift to the contractor or sub contractors? Did not even think about it until I saw a thread in a different forum.

o

NP Lisa, that's what I'm good at...lol

akshars, not so much gifts, but I am planning on having a party/BBQ for them after it's all said & done. :)

o

Autumn.4 - I posted a diatribe to your thread in kitchens. I'm going farther and saying, you don't even need to match metals! Mixing finishes is tres chic.You need to find what you love! You need to swoon over your choice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisa's lighting thread

o

Are any of you giving Christmas gift to the contractor or sub contractors? Did not even think about it until I saw a thread in a different forum.

Oh gosh, really? Crap... is that a thing now?

o

Dutty,
I am also not sure about the Gifts part. I may give a bottle of wine or something to the GC.
The link below is the discussion I saw.

Here is a link that might be useful: gift to contractor

o

dutty-okay so yes, I have run into those instances where I like the light but it's not in the finish I wanted but swoon - no. I have not gotten there yet at all. I will have to revisit the lights I liked that were different finishes and see once. Most times though it's more than I want to spend! I'd rather go over on a nice sink or something. I will do more searching and post some options here. I do kinda like (not over the top love) this one but it's about double what I want to spend:
 photo cloudburst_zps44744a36.jpg

Speaking of sinks. I think I may have shot myself in the foot with the sink base. I went with a 33" because I wanted the extra 3" in a my 4 drawer stack. I didn't realize it would be that limiting. I am leaning toward this one though: Blanco Precis Cascade

It fits in a 33". Of course that would require me to choose a granite so I could choose a color!

akshars-so I skipped countertops for now thinking lighting would be easier... I am hoping my indecision will pass once Christmas is over. :(
8 is fun and mine is such a snuggly boy. Love it!

Gifts - well since dh is the GC I could get him a bottle of the wine I like, hahaha. Seriously, I still have a couple of relatives, Sunday school terachers and stocking stuffers to buy. No way do I have room in my brain to think about contractor gifts, ugh! I have brought pizza and donuts out several times. I hope they know how much we appreciate them but that said I haven't thought about Chrsitmas gifts at all. :(

o

Got our floors down this week. I am in love!

o

Oops DP

This post was edited by NickC33 on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 23:22

o

holcombe3- Pretty floors and wall color

oicu812 - The granite is Meera White and the floors are Shaw 00511 Lambert's Cove.

mommytoty- I wish I had gotten to that sale at Restoration Hardware. Sounds like you got a good deal. I hope I can catch a sale on some cabinet hardware too.

MushCreek- That looks like a lot of fun. If I could've done the same thing I would have.

I took some more pictures today when I went by the house. We closed yesterday and I am really excited to move into my first home. I know some people on this forum will hate my bedroom and bathroom because they are so massive, but I will share anyway :)

o

Owners Suite

o

Owners Bath

o

NickC33--I think the sale goes through today so you may still be able to get online tonight and order! Otherwise, if you sign up for their emails, they will notify you the next time they have a sale. I got 20% off and free shipping :)

o

Loribug: I love the style of your home, have you posted your floor plan? I don t recall seeing it:)

Dutty: I promise I'm not as obsessed with your build as it may seem ( ok , I am a little):)) what are the brand/style of your windows?

o

nickc-no worries, to each their own. If you love it then that is what is most important! I think I could manage in that SHOWER (we are shower and not bath people so tubs don't do much for me)! But I must say - I might just never come out so it's probably good that ours isn't as luxurious. ;) Looks like a great view out of the master. Ours is similar - woods and with any luck maybe a few deer. How exciting that you are finished and nearing move in and it is awesome for a first house. Thank you for finding and sharing your granite name. I like it also.

We ordered a couple of arches and those arrived yesterday. They are subtle vs. dramatic but I think will add a nice element. We are putting one over the stairwell, one over our shower alcove and then we have 2 half arches that flank the fireplace. I am excited about those.

Exterior window trim is starting. Other than that framing is complete! Siding is to start after the new year and insulation once the electrical and plumbing wraps up which should be before Christmas. I think there will be a lot of activity right after the holiday.

Dh likes 'any of the granite pictures I have showed him' so I am on my own there (good and bad). I will have to go back and get samples, so I can stew on that a little bit. I am not sure how much movement I want in a surface area that large. Hmm.

o

Nickc, Congratulations on Closing. What a great Christmas present :). Love the shower in the master bath :)

holcombe3, Floor looks great. Is that a window seat you are having built in the bay window? We are also going to have one. The window seat and the builtins around the fireplace are one my splurges for the house :)

Autumn, Can't wait to see your arches when they are installed. I understand how you feel about the granite selection :). my DH feels the same on most of the Kitchen stuff.

I am also hoping for lot of activity after the holidays. We are almost at the end of the electrical. Should be completed in a day or two and should have electrical inspection next week followed by insulation.
Roof material is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. So hopefully they will begun the roof soon.

o

•Posted by mrsfireman

Loribug: I love the style of your home, have you posted your floor plan? I don t recall seeing it:)

Thank you!! :)I love it too, my dream home!
I think I posted them a way back, October or November thread...but here they are again.
I started sketching, and putting rooms/dimensions together where we wanted and my dad took those & did my plans making it all buildable.

A few changes & tweaks since these, but nothing major.
There are actually 4 windows across the front large-small-small-large to make it more symetrical.
We took out the fireplace. Kitchen Island is LARGE rectangle now...single bowl vanity in up bath, since girls fight over counter/storage space more than sink space.
Eyebrow above lower garage windows, to fix a water catch-all, making gutters work better.

photo walker7_zps2740338c.jpg
 photo walker6_zps50a9b600.jpg
 photo Binder1_Page_5_zps9fbf6224.jpg
 photo Binder1_Page_4_zpse680b847.jpg
 photo Binder1_Page_3_zps6d08c2f6.jpg
 photo Binder1_Page_1_zps1eb7d155.jpg

o

We are insulated! Well, as much as they can do now.

photo A7B10FEF-E392-495A-AD0D-FE771A96E9B4_zps1jr4rtd1.jpg

We had soundproofing insulation installed on the family room wall where the TV will be which is our bedroom on the other side. And the wall between master bathroom and master bedroom.

photo F4391522-2371-485B-B45E-E45DD40544FC_zpsalnmazc2.jpg

And also along the dining/kitchen wall with the laundry room on the other side.

photo 1FFBFFC2-D2BE-4B76-AA54-4E88EC44E53B_zpsjyl4ljbs.jpg

They'll come back and blow in the attic insulation after drywall is installed.

And we had a window of warm air this week so the concrete guys came back and poured our front porch.

photo DF5CCAD2-809D-41B0-AAE2-9919739FC339_zpsxsjyihez.jpg

photo 3B170DED-5D6B-41E5-B7DA-538AF6490B43_zpsqutum5ca.jpg

We had to cover our front door as we didn't want to take any chances of concrete splattering on it.

We have a recent college grad student who is helping DH and he is supposed to be doing the vapor barrier today in the crawl. I hope that gets done.

The siding is supposed to be installed right after Christmas. Then drywall. Then stone. Moving right along.

o

Thanks akshars_mom and Autumn. I really find the massive shower so obnoxious, but it came with the owner's suite so I'm sure I will learn to love it, but just not love cleaning it. My husband on the other hand loves it.

o

nickc-I can see your point about the cleaning - that would be quite a chore. Did you get the coating on the glass that helps avoid water spots? I definitely want that to help - we are on a well so I can use all the help I can get! Are you a reader? You have room in your master to put a nice cozy chair to have some quiet time (as if I know). A girl can dream though right?!

holcome-what kind of finish did you use? Very nice medium color. It really lets the character of the wood show through.

lori-we ended up with the same situation in our kids bath. I kept the linen cabinet and one sink but they each have their own drawers on either side. They will share a 54 inch vanity and a 18" linen.

hoosiers-I love that you are just a few steps ahead so I can see what we have to look forward to. :) We are planning insulation for a few interior walls to help control sound as well. Woohoo on having a warm snap to finish off your porch. We have that yet to pour as well as the driveway approach to the garage. I think our insulation and siding might be happening at the same time. Progress is progress!

akshars-I will be sure to take pics of them. I can't wait to see them either! They were really much less costly than we had initially thought. Granite-I really hope it's not as difficult as the kitchen cabinet choices were. When I envision the kitchen I can picture a backsplash but not really a countertop. I think it may be that the backsplash is a vertical surface and the counter is horizontal. ???

Anyone using light motion sensors? Maybe that's old technology now but I'm pretty excited to have it in the pantry, laundry room and locker area since my hands are normally full in those spots.

We have to get out there and take our screens out of the windows (and label them) to make sure they don't get damaged.

o

Holcombe, love your floors! are they Hickory?
NickC, that's a great master bath. A lot of GW'ers don't care for large master suites, but personally I've always loved having a private retreat. I even had one in my house that I lived in in the 80's, and it was built in the 20's.

I'm still behind most of you here.
We went out to the house today, and we are 95% done with the framing and sheathing. It's looking more like a house now. Windows get delivered tomorrow. So now we are looking at the upstairs bath and it's ludicrously narrow and small. It seems crazy since the hall on the other side of the wall is feet wider than necessary. So now we're debating asking the GC to have the framers move a wall. On the side of not having it moved, the upstairs is approx 600SF and includes 2 guest rooms that will be used a handful of times a year and the bath. On the side of having it moved, if we don't do it now we will regret it forever, and we don't intend to move again. This bath is unbelievably narrow. i guess I didn't realize it from the plans. And there is no reason it had to be that small given the space available.

Other than that, we've been busy with non-house stuff. Our youngest graduated from Grad school over the weekend. So we drove to NC for her graduation, and took an extra day and stopped at the furniture outlet in Hickory. Sensory furniture overload. We were able to sit in a number of leather chairs with ottomans. Unbelievably enough, the ONE that dh likes and thinks sits best is the BY chair that I picked out from pictures quite awhile ago. Doing the happy dance, because now he's on board to order what I wanted to start with!!

Lisa, yes, I've got my lighting picked out. The pic below shows just the primary pieces for the main floor because I was trying to establish a mood board to see if my choices are consistent from a design POV. I already own The dragonfly lamp which is going over the kitchen table in the bkfast room, and the crystal chandy pictured is something that is similar to mine. Mine is a vintage crystal chandelier from the 1920's and has been in every house I've owned since 1980.
I do also have cans in the kitchen, and eyeballs throughout to spotlight artwork on walls, plus 10 ceiling fans. Dutty, I'm overwhelmed at thinking about 100 light fixtures. Think I might count mine now. ;-)

I got an email today that our custom color cabinet door is in, so dh should be able to pick that up tomorrow. I've got to go in for a complete cardio workup. :-(

I hope to get some pics this weekend, and will be back to post.

o

NickC- Would you happen to know the dimensions of your kitchen island? Love your home!

o

hoosier I am so envious!! I want insullation!!!

o

Hi everyone! We are just beginning our home building process. Well, just beginning the build. We have worked on the floor plan and details for almost 2 years while waiting on our old home to sell.
We are building "up on a hilltop" and are planning for this to be our home until retirement, Lord willing!
We wanted the land for 3 years but it was tied up with the builder and then with a bank. All together, the 2 lots together come out to just under 4 acres.
Today, the foundation is being poured!
I will try to attach a couple pics.
Looking forward to this journey and seeing how everyone's homes progress in the months to come!

o

Duplicate

This post was edited by uponthehilltop on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 15:14

o

Triplicate :(

This post was edited by uponthehilltop on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 15:15

o

Quadruplicate ?!?!
Sorry everyone!

This post was edited by uponthehilltop on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 15:17

o

Wow, not sure how that posted 1x with pic and 3x without!
Is there an easy way to delete the triple post? So sorry everyone!

o

uponthehilltop, Good luck with the starting after a long wait. As far as I know you can delete a post entirely but can edit your post and delete the content and just say Duplicate post instead.

Autumn, I think you could be right in regards to visualizing the counter top. I know what I like the best with the counter top but may be over budget so that is the problem. I hope to do this in the next few days.
In regards to motion sensor light we are doing on the exterior of the house and may be laundry and pantry.

Hooiser, the insulation looks great. Would love to see a closeup picture of your front door when possible.

mlweaving, Lights look great, love the blues you have going in the house. Don't worry about being behind I am sure you will catch up soon. Hope everything is ok with the doctors visit today.

Taking the day off today and will finalize the Vanities for the bathrooms and may visit a couple of granite places.

o

Uponthehilltop - congrats on the beginning. That was an exciting part because the changes were so major.

Autumn- I didn't even think of the motion sensors, but now I'm kind of wishing I would have for the laundry.

Holcombe3- the floors look great!

Sheetrock was complete this week and painting was started. We were told by our GC that painting would be completed and we're only sitting at about 40% complete so that is a little frustrating. I a positive note - I love the colors so far.

Some of the flooring also started today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here