Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smc0904

Need help with front elevation

SMC0904
9 years ago

We are trying to finalize our house plan but need some help with the front. We initially did not have the gable over the front door but wanted to bring a little more attention to the front door and also provide some protection from rain/snow for anyone waiting at the front door. The architect came up with the gable below but because it's set back from the room to the left, the left side of the gable gets cut off a little. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as the architect is not really being much help with this.

Sandy

Comments (6)

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

Can you post the plan as well, please? It may help in coming up with ideas. The assymetrical roofline suggests that the plan isn't as symmetrical as the profile suggests.

I agree with you on needing to refine that gable, it's clipped-ness doesn't help you really see the front entrance.
    Is there a pillar on the left side of the entrance as well? It looks slightly out of place to me, but I'm not an architect.

Any chance you can shift the entry to the right, so that it's not partially hidden by the rooms in front of it? have the approach to the house angled so that the peak is more visible?

• SMC0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the layout.

• SMC0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Naween, I'm not really sure what you mean by "The assymetrical roofline suggests that the plan isn't as symmetrical as the profile suggests."

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

I was referring to the fact that the ridge of the main roof 'drops' down towards the right, as indicated in the attached sketch. So you lose some of the symmetry.
    After studying the roofline on my own house, I've started to get a better understanding of house roofs work, so that's why I wanted to see your plan.

• Naf_Naf
    9 years ago

Your architect did these drawings?

To place a gable like that you will need a cricket, otherwise you will have snow/rain accumulation.

Why do you need those columns if you have no porch?
    The best thing to do is create a porch aligned with the living room on left (full foyer/dining width), then the roof will not be recessed and you can do something more substantial.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

To have to design cover and emphasis at the entry as an afterthought should be a major embarrassment for your architect so if he/she is not aggressively trying to correct this error I would question his/her professional background. You might look up his/her registration to make sure that background has not been misrepresented.

To avoid having too many stock developer cliches in one house facade, I would eliminate the high pants belt line and the tapered column on a masonry base; it's not that kind of house. I would also avoid masonry on the large gable over the entrance.

The sketch below is the simplest way to solve the problem but it creates more useless attic space in a house that has far too much attic space already, but the alternative would be to start over and design the house with the entrance in mind from the start which might be expensive. If I were your architect, I would expect you to ask me to do it for free.

Good luck with it.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area