Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nepool

Kids bath: Window or Extra foot in bedroom?

nepool
10 years ago

I'm struggling with a decision. My architect is working on my plans and I really like the kids' wing he's laid out (I'm building a split bedroom single story). The kids bath is between the 2 rooms and is currently 6ft wide by 12 ft long (good sized) with the 5ft bath, toilet, and vanity all lined up against the long wall- and a window next to the bath.

The other way he can set it up is as a 5ft wide by 12ft long bath, with the 5ft tub along the back wall (taking up the entire width of the back wall) with more space for the toilet, vanity, and even a linen along the 12 ft wall. But no window (I don't want the window inside the bath tub).

My daughters room with 6 ft wide bath would be 12 ft. x 11ft 1", with the 5ft wide bath (and no window) it would be 12 ft by 12ft 1".

Help me decide. On the one hand, the kids don't really care so much about the window, and it would be the only room in the house with no window. The extra foot would help in that bedroom for furniture placement and I can always do a solotube? On the other hand I really didn't want any windowless rooms in the house and it seems silly to loose it over a foot. I don't really want to add another foot onto the entire wing (I'm maxed out on sq.ft at 2610.) Does everyone have windows in their baths? If you don't have one, do you regret it?

Comments (14)

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

nepool-I don't think your daughter will miss that 1 foot or if she is anything like my kids she'll fill it with junk! I also think a 12x11 is a really nice size for furniture. What are you having in the room, twin bed or larger? dresser? night stand? Or will the dresser drawers be in a closet? If it's just a twin bed and nightstand or desk I think you are more than fine (and honestly even with a dresser still fine). Larger bed maybe will be cramped?

I think I'd opt for the window in the bathroom. It's so nice to have that natural light.

We do not have a window in our kids bath and I tried really hard to get one in there but with our layout it just wasn't going to happen (the tub is the entire length along the outside wall). The designer put one in (above the bath) but it was so squatty it just looked ridiculous once you figured window trim - hardly any glass in it. I nixed it and moved on but if I could have I would have done it in a heartbeat. I am pacifying myself with the dormer window across from the bathroom that will shed some light in there...a little bit.

My 2 cents.

• jdez
    10 years ago

Our guest bath in our current home is the only room with no window and we are fine with it. Never really even thought about it until I read your post. My 7 year old is scared of his own shadow so if there was a window in there, he would have to have company on the potty at night so I guess I'm thankful for no window in his bathroom. At least at this stage in our lives.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Would you be willing to post your layout so folks might suggest other solutions?

The reason I ask is that it sounds like we have a similar setup, a ~5'x11' bath between two bedrooms, door at the short end with window opposite. In our house one wall backs up to a reach in closet in one of the bedrooms, so we "stole" 3' off the closet by the exterior wall to make a nook for the toilet. So as you enter the bath, on the left there are the sinks and then the tub/shower, and on the right there is wall and then the toilet in its nook opposite the tub. Might something like this work for you?

Alternatively, if you are going to line up the fixtures along the wall, perhaps consider putting the toilet by the window behind the tub so it gets a bit of privacy?

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

neopool,
    If we had the chance I too would have a windows in every room and choose the winodw over the 1 feet in the bedroom. What is the bed size and other furniture you plan to have in the room?
    I think a window is always better but if you can't have it solar tube or you could have a operable skylight.

We are building in a city lot and due to some restrictions we could not have windows in the kids and Guest bath. We are going with Solar tubes.

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

My daughter has a full sized bed, a nightstand, a longer dresser (under 5 feet) and a tall dresser (2 1/2 ft wide).

I will post a pic of the layout later when I get back from finishing my Christmas shopping.

Oaktown, in your 5ft wide bath, does the tub sit on the exterior wall, so the window is in the tub area? That is one of the options if I go with the 5ft wide and keep the extra foot of space in her bedroom. I don't love the idea of a window in the bath- and with the shower curtain drawn (they like shower curtains vs. glass) It probably won't be effective.

If I go with the 6ft width, then the bath will be on the long wall, and the window will not be in the tub area, it alongside the tub.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

nepool --

No, the tub runs across the long wall, so only short side of the tub is on the exterior wall and the window is completely outside the tub area. The toilet nook bumps into what would have been closet space on the other side, and shares the clear space under the window with the end of the tub.

I think the bath actually might be 5'6" but would have to check. I'll see if I can post the layout later.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Here is the original kids' bath layout proposed by our architect. We ended up moving the toilet to what is the rightmost 3' of the closet in the adjacent bedroom. Don't know why the picture is so big, sorry.

{{gwi:1515716}}

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that! That is the same layout my architect is proposing with a 6 ft width...she said she can't make it that same layout with a 5 ft width- something about code. She said if I wanted a 5ft wide bathroom, I'd have to move the tub to the back wall instead, which would mean either no window, or a window in the tub.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

How about going 5 1/2 ft as posted by Oaktown? It might give you the best of both options.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Ugh-I just checked and ours is 6'10 x 12'9 and I am thinking we could have laid it out better for a window! Besides the lack of window though, I really like it. It sounds like ours is how your architect described with the tub at the back wall - no window.

I think Oaktowns layout (with the toilet tucked in modification) would be nearly perfect. I would opt for the 5.5' width vs. 5' also - it helps keep the door swing out of the way of someone at the vanity.

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a great idea, to split the difference! I'm going to post the entire floorplan in its own thread now, for feedback.

Thanks!
    NePool

• pooks1976
    10 years ago

I think the layout for both the bedroom and bathroom is better without the window, more sq. ft. in the bedroom, more vanity space in the bathroom.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

nepool-just in case it helps...ours at 6'10"x12'9 houses:
    54" vanity, 18" linen, wall then toilet and tub. We could have had a door separate the tub/toilet from the vanity but opted not to since the toilet is recessed enough that enough privacy (IMO) is there without it.

The only change we made from this layout is the linen is switched to the far side instead of right when you enter and no secondary door.

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Autumn, Thank you for that layout pic!

I'm going to go with a 5 ft width, lose the window, gain the foot in the bedroom, and add a shower to the powder room. The kids are tween/teens and won't be in the bathroom at the same time. My husband likes the idea of having a shower on that side, near the garage/laundry.

Here's an updated floor plan (from today- my updates, not the architects'). The back bedroom is now 12 x 12'1 (even though the pic says 11'1). I need to figure out how to add the shower to the powder room (currently 5 x 11.5). I'm planning a pedestal sink in there- so it should fit. I can steal a bit of space from the laundry if needed (I'd rather not though :), I'd like the laundry room to be spacious).