Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Haunting the Lowes' clearance aisle

mrspete
9 years ago

A public service announcement:

So, we're in the midst of some renovations. We're part-way through one bathroom and are planning to launch into the second bathroom after Christmas.

I didn't buy my first-bathroom tile until the last minute, and I think I paid too much. No, I know I did -- the simple choices I made should've cost less.

As a result, I'm determined to do better on the second bath, so every time I'm near Lowes and have a few minutes to kill, I go in and look at their clearance items. WOW, do they drop their prices for clearance! Last night I saw they had 5 full boxes of gorgeous irridescent blue mosaic tiles (plenty for a good-sized bathroom) . . . marked down to $6/sheet. This stuff had been something like $18/sheet. The guy told me that it had been special ordered, and the people didn't buy it. I was very tempted to buy it for our future house -- gorgeous, gorgeous deep blue shimmery stuff.

Since we have an eye towards resale I was thrilled to find a "mixed mosaic" with lovely brown tones just right for my bathroom . . . marked down to $2.81/sheet. Thing is, they only had three sheets. I'm going to the other Lowes today to see if they have more. I'd only need those plus three more sheets to do a nice accent in my shower.

So, if you know your sizes and are sure of what you want, take a look. Consider buying when these prices are rock bottom!

Comments (8)

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

I had a gorgeous online return I found for a bathroom fixture a few months ago. I totally agree with the deep discounts in the Lowe's clearance, Home Depot is ok but you are spot on with Lowe's.

The only caveat, I did notice that some of the items were put out "as is" and may be incomplete or damaged so open up boxes and inspect a bit before you purchase. The light was like 80% off but it had a cracked shade and replacements were not readily available.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes -- check everything carefully -- wise words. Actually, that's good advice even if you don't buy the item on clearance!

As I said, we just bought tile for our hall bath. I bought a box of 2" square brown mosaic tile for the shower floor. I bought one whole box (10) plus a couple more. However, one of the 12x12s inside the box was a different color! Not a different style -- just a slightly lighter color palate in the same pattern!

I was so glad my contractor had me buy a bit extra, and I was able to return it -- no delays in the project. I've always heard, Buy 10% extra. It's good advice.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 15:46

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

I got my biggest bargain for our house at Lowe's. I was haunting the building products, still planning and designing our house-to-be. One day, they had marked their Nichiha fiber cement siding down to $3.88 a piece- that's half price! I started considering the logic of buying siding for a house I didn't have a design for, and let it pass. Two weeks later, I walked back there, and it was down to $1.88 a piece! I ran to the front desk and bought the whole pallet of 250 pcs. I got enough siding to do the entire house for less than $500. The outside of the house is done, and I still have 50 pieces left over, so I think I'll add some class to my 8X12 shed.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

I remember your siding post. That is a ridiculous deal, I am still so jealous!!!!

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That IS a ridiculous deal!

However, I don't think I'd use it on a shed. I'd save it in case you ever add a room to the house. When we bought this house, we enlarged a bathroom, and the brick with which our house was built is no longer available . . . at any price.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

weird. I've never noticed a clearance aisle in there? typically where is it located?

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

In our Lowes, they sometimes have discounted items on the back side of one of the main aisles, basically in the geographic center of the store. Look for yellow stickers.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Ours is in sections all over. Sometimes adjacent areas will share but just take an afternoon and roam around. Once you find them you can pop in and out clearance hunting.