Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuarbc

Drywall installed....what do I need to check?

stuarbc
10 years ago

We had our pre-drywall walkthrough with the builder early this week and they have been installing the drywall all week. I haven't been able to inspect the progress (out of town)....but plan to stop by this afternoon. I have always heard that I should really pay attention to this step to make sure it is done properly. However, I am not really sure what to be looking for.

I have seen houses that have corners were the drywall was not square and/or misaligned, etc. Is there a better way to check this other than just a square and the eye test? What all do I need to check and what tools do I need.

Comments (6)

• jeding
    10 years ago

From our experience, look VERY closely at where all of your electrical outlets are as well as light fixtures. After the drywall was up we had to have 3 of our ceiling lights moved because they weren't centered correctly, which is hard to tell. Once they got the texture on the ceiling, it was harder to convince them of the fix. We took photos behind all of our walls prior to them hanging drywall so we knew where all the plumbing, electrical etc was.

• stuarbc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

are you saying they didn't cut the holes where the junction boxes were placed?

• stuarbc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

are you saying they didn't cut the holes where the junction boxes were placed?

• jeding
    10 years ago

Yes, that's what I meant. The boxes were in place, just should have been moved some for function.

Another thing we noticed was the light fixture over the breakfast area was centered on the french doors. After drywall went up we "saw" that it really made sense for it to be centered on the bar, not the doors, so we had to move it and it was more troublesome. That's one benefit to taking photos, if they drywalled over them you know where to cut.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

May be too late for this but I would also advise the photos of the walls as posted above and also have the "blocking" put in where you know that you want towel racks, etc. My GC doesn't seem to get too crazed by moving electrical and cutting out drywall. He says that's the way it has to be because visually, and even with the best planning, sconces don't always line up exactly the way you want, things look funky when you are in the field.

It's good you are going to do a thorough walk through at this point though. Some changes can be made right now if you catch them.

We are at the same place with insulation having just gone up and drywall being installed this week and next.