Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcakeshop_gw

It's December 2012 - How's Your Build Progressing?

mcakeshop
11 years ago

Hard to believe December is already here and Christmas is just around the corner. We are hoping to be done mid-December, but they just finished painting so we will see.

Comments (58)

• Ray72
    11 years ago

Contract signed, closing on the construction loan in 12 days then the trees start coming down!!

Really hard to believe we started working on the plan 6 months ago.

• cobra5laddict
    11 years ago

it has been a busy past 2 weeks. the cassions have been drilled filled and the foundation went up. the basement floor will be a structural slab on void construction.

• cobra5laddict
    11 years ago

we were fortunate with the weather, it was 70 outside on the day we poured.

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Our built-ins are almost done...these flank the fireplace.

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Built-in.

This post was edited by bowyer123 on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 0:01

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

We are a bit indecisive as to what color to paint the dining room!

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Our barn door that will separate the loft from the game room....it just needs paint.

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Our Jack and Jill bath. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post multiple pictures in one post.

We are in the home-stretch, looking forward to moving in one of these days!

• texas_cajun
    11 years ago

We received our demolition permit for the old (falling down) house on our lot yesterday! I can't wait until I have a floor plan to post.

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

Here's our progress:

{{gwi:1515637}}

Kitchen:
    {{gwi:1515638}}

• agentslim
    11 years ago

We finally broke ground! Had a lot of progress the past 2 weeks, things are moving quickly.
    Flagging

Plumbing

Backfill

Ready to pour!

• brosher
    11 years ago

Lot clearing has begun!!

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

here is my update. We started to build the main level walls now. More information and pictures are in my blog at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog

• lindsay221
    11 years ago

Hello everyone,

Our flooring is complete (tile and hardwood), and the cabinets are starting to get installed. Very exciting time for us. Our last post said that we had hoped for the trim carpenter to start by this time but unfortunately he has been held up at another job. Our fingers are crossed for the end of this week or definitely by next week. Here are some pics of our progress.

Master Bath floor:
    {{gwi:1515644}}

Mudroom and Powder room floor:
    {{gwi:1515645}}

The hardwood is throughout the whole house:
    {{gwi:1515646}}

The master shower (now grouted):
    {{gwi:1515647}}

Getting started on the kitchen cabinets:
    {{gwi:1515648}}

The master bath is almost complete:
    {{gwi:1515649}}

Getting started on uppers:
    {{gwi:1515650}}

The quality is unbelievable, we couldn't be happier with our selection of cabinet maker:
    {{gwi:1515651}}

They should be done by Thursday so I will post a couple more pics after they are complete. Very exiting!!!

This post was edited by lindsay221 on Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 11:21

• amtrucker22
    11 years ago

Lindsay... Love the hardwood floors!

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Lindsay,

Your house looks great!

Our kitchen/living room is very similar. Can you tell me the dimension of your breakfast nook?

Thanks

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Lindsay - what grout are using with your tiles?
    It's beautiful!

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Just two days over three weeks and I have a house...walls are sided, shingles are on, windows are in...plumbing and electrical are being done inside....love my crew!

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Lindsay, what kind of tile did you use on your master bath? Is it marble or ceramic. Phoggie, I can't believe how fast your build has progressed.

Carol

• lindsay221
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone!

bowyer123:
    Breakfast nook is 8 x 4'6"

pbx2:
    Laundry Room:
    - Antique Linen #127 grout

Mud Room and Powder Room:
    - Prism Light Smoke #145 grout (wider grout joint to make it look like a mortar joint)

Hall Bath:
    - Daltile Snow White #11 grout (thin joint)

Master Bath:
    - White Dove #14 grout (Floor)
    - Snow White #11 grout (Shower Floor)
    - Bright White #381 grout (Shower Wall)

OntarioMom:
    Master Bath:
    - Floor is Catarina Coliseum
    - Shower floor is white marble octagon with black diamonds
    - Shower wall below chair rail is 3x6 Arctic White subway tile (Glossy)
    - Shower has white chair rail (Glossy)
    - Shower wall above chair rail has 4x4 Arctic White tile on bias (Glossy)
    - Shower ceiling is 4x4 white tile (Glossy)

Laundry Room:
    - Mannington Strata Sediment

Mud Room and Powder Room:
    - Heirloom Rose (US02) laid with traditional brick pattern

Hall Bath:
    - Octagon & Dot (white on white)

• carp123
    11 years ago

Lindsay, is that a floor outlet being installed? What else is coming up over there?

• lindsay221
    11 years ago

carp123:

That is for the island that needs to be installed. There is going to be a prep sink, garbage disposal, and there is another wire that will connect to a power assist for the garbage pull out (push with your knee and the drawer automatically opens).

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

@lindsay221 - thank you for the very detailed info!

Did you use a specific grout brand or epoxy?
    Were worry about staining with the white grouts?

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

also Lindsay221 - love your mudroom tiles! Engenious & refreshing!! Must crib from you!

{{gwi:1515645}}

• lindsay221
    11 years ago

thanks so much!! I'm not sure what brand we used, but I believe we used an epoxy grout on the mudroom for greater durability.

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Thanks Lindsay for the details on your flooring. Your house is gorgeous -- great choices.

Carol

• aucorley
    11 years ago

We've MOVED!!! After breaking ground Feb 1st 2012, we moved Thanksgiving Eve!! So sorry for the late postings. Some of these pics are fuzzy from my phone. I am in love with our new home!
    I hope to have better, or at least clearer pics over the holiday.
    So many have finished and even more have began! Excited for everyone!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

Aucorley - it's beautiful. I especially love your painted kitchen cabinets!

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

@ Aucorley - Very warm & inviting!

• gingerjenny
    11 years ago

aucorley
    I love your kitchen. Do you have a layout or floor plan you could post? it looks about like the size i'd like to have so seeing it on a floor plan would be so helpful

• threeapples
    11 years ago

lindsay221, are you in Ohio? The name on your cabinet drawers is the last name of the guy who did some of our cabinetry here in NE Ohio! :)

• lindsay221
    11 years ago

Threeapples, we are near Pittsburgh, but went to Ohio for our cabinets.

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Congrats Aucorley - Looks great! I am so envious that you are in for the holidays :(

• aucorley
    11 years ago

Thank you! We are so thankful for being in for Christmas!!
    As for the layout it is the Frank Betz Highland Place plan. We modified the upstairs some. I believe if you click on one of my pics it should take you to my photobucket page that has a lot more pics. I will get more pics if the other rooms up next week. We are blown away at how much room we have! Funny how we worried along the way about the space and now we are searching for more furniture!

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Aucorley...I love your home and I was wondering what color you painted your walls..do you mind sharing that with me? Thanks.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Our first post - but we've been at it since mid-August - 18 weeks now but we thought this was something you don't see everyday...when the utility company comes out to bring you onto the grid :)

• amtrucker22
    11 years ago

Nice post pbx! Cool picture.

• leenamark
    11 years ago

No matter how much you prepare for the Christmas there's a;ways something left to be done. Every time to finish one task another comes to the mind immediately. :)

• agentslim
    11 years ago

Pouring!

Day 1 Framing

Day 2 Framing

Waiting for trusses to come after the new year! Things are moving so quickly. It's been raining here (California) the past week, so hopefully things will clear up!

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

agentslim-wow your build is on the move! Have you noticed the beautiful backgrounds you have captured in your pictures? Look at the colorful foliage in your first 12/9 one and then this last one that blue sky is awesome! I think I am already missing sunshine since we do not get much here in the winter so that jumped right out at me!

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 17:03

• agentslim
    11 years ago

Thanks Autumn.4! The blue sky is gone =( It's been raining all week! My builder is really on top of things! I never imagined the process would move this quickly. Its been less then a month!

• alaws
    11 years ago

Lindsey221- I might have missed it but can you share your info on your hardwood floors? They are beautiful.

Phoggie- Where in Kansas are you building? We are working on final plans and live north of Salina.

To everyone else- What a informative and supportive site! I have been lurking and love all the info that I have gathered so far. Thank
    You!

• lindsay221
    11 years ago

Thanks Kansas. The floors are Bella Cera 5 inch hardwood. The specific line is called Tribeca Spice.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

Rushed to move our main wall ICF pour up to beat the blizzard that hit the midwest last week. We made it, and sure glad I did. Pics below of the walls poured and then pics of the day after with the snow. We went from 38 degrees on pour day to 50 mph wind gusts and negative temp wind chills the next day. See more pics and info in my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: building blog

• sthomas6978
    11 years ago

Aucorley: I really love love your house. I know you're busy with the move, but could you please please tell me what is the size of your kitchen island?

• sweet.reverie
    11 years ago

Beautiful homes everyone! Today, we got our building permit! So we will start 2013 off with a bang :)

• aucorley
    11 years ago

Sthomas, I'm happy to answer any questions as the same was done for me! Our island is 8 ft 3inches by about 40 inches rounded. It fits 4 bar stools under the counter. It really is the hub of our house!

And thanks for the compliments, building was difficult in many ways but soooo worth it!!

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Aucorley....I love your inside paint color...would you share the name? I need to pick out paint next week and need help....thanks!

Kansas_aj... Hey, I know your area well......I recently moved to Burlington from Junction City... I have several friends in Salina.

• sanveann
    11 years ago

Aucorley, your home is gorgeous!!! Can't wait till we can finally post our "we've moved!" photos! :D

• icedC
    11 years ago

Aucorley- while you are providing details for everyone, I would love to know about your floors! Enjoy your beautiful new home.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner