Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barndominiums

Posted by likeatortoise (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 7:37

I did a search and didn't see any info on barndonimiums--ie big iron and steel barns insulated and fitted out to be lived in as houses, with or without a dedicated area for boats, RV's, horses, etc.

I wondered if anyone here had researched or built one. Searching online it seems they are becoming popular in rural Texas. The most popular method is to build the shell, spray foam insulation, then build an interior 2x4 wall, insulated again with fiberglass batts, and drywalled.

I'm wondering why no one (that I've read about) seems to use the insulated wall panels that steel building manufacturers make (ie they are thick foam, which gives a very high R value in only a few inches, with skins of steel , stucco, or magnesium oxide board, on the outside and inside. Building an entire interior structure of wood just seems so wasteful, and here in humid Florida seems a good idea to avoid wood and drywall altogether if possible.

Is anyone here interested in these structures? I'd love to hear more discussion about them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barndominiums

Never heard of that!

o

I never heard of them either until I noticed a big metal building for sale in my neighborhood and started to ponder the possibilities. Steel building companies are starting to offer them (see link). It intrigued me as I love large open spaces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barndominium builder

o

never heard them called barndominiums
but not uncommon in rural La. where
I live.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here