Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
likeatortoise

Barndominiums

likeatortoise
11 years ago

I did a search and didn't see any info on barndonimiums--ie big iron and steel barns insulated and fitted out to be lived in as houses, with or without a dedicated area for boats, RV's, horses, etc.

I wondered if anyone here had researched or built one. Searching online it seems they are becoming popular in rural Texas. The most popular method is to build the shell, spray foam insulation, then build an interior 2x4 wall, insulated again with fiberglass batts, and drywalled.

I'm wondering why no one (that I've read about) seems to use the insulated wall panels that steel building manufacturers make (ie they are thick foam, which gives a very high R value in only a few inches, with skins of steel , stucco, or magnesium oxide board, on the outside and inside. Building an entire interior structure of wood just seems so wasteful, and here in humid Florida seems a good idea to avoid wood and drywall altogether if possible.

Is anyone here interested in these structures? I'd love to hear more discussion about them.

Comments (3)