Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Tongue and groove Ceiling

amykath
9 years ago

We are going to have a vaulted wood ceiling. I am trying to find the right wood for this. We have to order it asap. Our building materials guy gave us some sort of white board with lots of knots. We are hoping for a cleaner clearer wood that won't break our budget.

We are trying to find something like the pic I am attaching. Any ideas? They get their wood from Western Canada so I am sure their must be a better selection.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Amy

{{gwi:2134191}}

Traditional Bedroom by Santa Barbara General Contractors Allen Construction

Comments (9)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Help to know what the budget line item is per fq ft. The labor is the same for any species of individual boards, and only drops if you went with sheet goods.
    The range of highest $ milled wood to lowest is only like 3x. Unless you want a fancy figured hardwood like quilted cherry or curly sycamore.
    Casey

• methoddesigns
    9 years ago

I used 1X6 T&G Pine for my dining room. Also used it on my patio and large covered front porch. We stained the patio and porch, but went with paint for the dining room.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

before you install the t&g, know that it is very
    leaky.
    as our biggest heat loss is through the
    ceilings, sheetrock or tyvek behind the
    t&g is a reasonable/cost effective step towards
    air sealing this area.
    take care to air seal the sheetrock/tyvek at
    edges.

while I love the look, it quickly became
    apparent when blower door testing homes
    with these types of ceilings that they
    are very leaky.
    the above are solutions for this issue.

btw, I like just a clear seal to let the beauty
    of the wood show. and it looks really
    cool on the diagonal rather than straight
    runs. just my personal preferences.

best of luck.

• methoddesigns
    9 years ago

Always put sheetrock up before t&g. Worth the money.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Are you planning to stain or paint? We used poplar over Sheetrock, painted, were told it would not take stain well but less expensive.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

There is clearer pine available that would approximate the look above. You can also stain it to minimize the the contrast of the knots. The Grade A pine is a bit more expensive. You can ask certain vendors to let your carpenters choose the wood.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

sombrel hit it right. Need more info before being able to offer an answer. Also how do you plan to finish this ceiling?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are staining. We have a vaulted ceiling (nothing out of the ordinary or crazy). We are insulating the roof with foam insulation. Would that not be enough for energy efficiency?

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate everyone's quick responses!

• LE
    9 years ago

If it's from Western Canada, it is probably vertical grain Douglas Fir or Western Red Cedar. They are both beautiful. I don't know how the cost compares with other options, but we have both in different parts of our new house in western WA. We don't have a lot of square footage, though.

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design