Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broken_arrow

Please double-check my roof plan!

broken_arrow
9 years ago

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are in the process of finalizing our house plans over the next month or so. Long story short - my education and early career was in the architectural field, so I'm planning to put together the basic construction drawings. We're using one of the builder's stock plans and making some changes to it, so we're not starting from scratch. Most of the changes are on the interior, but we've made a few changes to the roof by deleting the covered porch in the back (we don't want to block the tall windows that look out to our best view) and adding a small porch in the front (to add architectural interest).

Once I've finished the drawings, I'll go over them with the builder and see whether he wants his architect to review anything more closely. I'm sure we'll be paying for any architectural fees, so I'd like to make sure the drawings are as accurate as they can be!

I'm very comfortable with the majority of the drawings that need to be done, but it's been a while since I've worked on a roof plan. I did a little brushing up, and I think it's pretty close. I'd love to have some extra eyes on this before I go any farther though.

The roof pitch is 8/12. The shaded area shown on the roof plan represents the area with a 10-foot plate. The unshaded area has an 8-foot plate. The original front elevation was almost entirely made up of hip roofs, but we've added 2 Dutch hip roofs with clipped gables - one over the garage, and one above the covered porch.

I mostly want to make sure that I have all the peaks and valleys in the right places, but also that the connections between the 10-foot areas and 8-foot areas make sense. I don't have the other 3 elevations done yet, but please let me know if you need any additional information. I also haven't added any notes, dimensions, drainage arrows, downspouts, etc., but it will all be taken care of soon.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Comments (4)