Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retrochick13

9 foot wide master bath?

RetroChick13
9 years ago

I am in the process of choosing a houseplan. I have found one that I love, and the square footage is perfect... I don't want to add any size to the house. However, one change I would like to make would leave my master bath at about 9 feet wide instead of 12. Do you think that is adequate, or should I move along to another plan. Other than this one change, the plan is exactly what I'm looking for. The bathroom would end up about 9x12-ish. I can't compare it to my current home, since my home has a ridiculously large bathroom. We are looking to downsize in a pretty drastic way.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Statewide Fence Co
    9 years ago

9 x 12 seems like a good size. Mine is 9' x 8' and it is small, but I don't share the bathroom with my husband. I have a 5' ft. vanity, a 5ft. shower and toliet. There isn't room for anything else. If you don't want to increase square footage, is there an adjacent room or closet you could steal square footage from? Or downsize any other rooms in the house?

This post was edited by MsFuqua7634 on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 5:54

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

The size of today's bathrooms amazes me. In my 61 years, the largest bathroom I've had was 5 X 10! What are you going to do in there- run laps? Our new house has an 8 X 11 bathroom, and it feels downright luxurious. I guess it all depends on what you're used to. Can you fit everything you want in there? If we wanted a tub in addition to a shower, we would have had to gone bigger, but we have a bath tub in another part of the house.

• cefoster
    9 years ago

Ours is a little under 8 feet wide and about 10 feet long and it is perfect!! It has a walk in shower (5 foot by 42 inches wide) and a 60 in vanity and toilet and a large cabinet over the toilet to ceiling for storage. We are using 2 oval medicine cabinets with extra storage.... it is perfect!! I feel it is spacious and love the space.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I think 9x12 is "just right". I'm personally looking at 9x11, so we're in the same ball park. It allows for a very practical two-items-on-each-side-of-a-center-aisle layout . . . plus a small linen closet.

As for why bathrooms are getting bigger, it's easy to see a couple reasons:

- Many people expect a stand-alone shower in addition to a tub, and I have to say that a stand-alone shower is so much nicer than a shower-over-tub arrangement. We're seeing a trend lately towards doing away with the tub in favor of a really nice shower, but that's still a minority choice.

- I think the "growth item" in master baths these days is the shower. Lots of people -- me included -- want a shower that will be convenient for aging. That is, a shower that can include a stool or other seating.

- Lots of people demand double sinks these days, and that just doesn't work unless you have an oversized vanity.

- Lots of people are "compartmentalizing" bathrooms -- that is, toilet in a closet or sink area divided from the rest of the bathroom -- and this requires significantly more square footage.

Necessary? No. Any of us can "make do" with a simple 5x8 three-piece bathroom, but this is a place that people like a little bit of wiggle room.

• snuffycuts99
    9 years ago

One good reason for making it wider is aging in place. If you ever need to use a wheelchair, you'll appreciate the extra width. Ada turning radius is 5 feet. Our bathroom is 11 feet wide because of that. A 5 foot center aisle, 4 feet on one side for tub and shower, and 2 feet on the other side for vanity.

• olivas82
    9 years ago

I'm also going back and forth with very similar measurements. Our plan calls for 8'9" W x 21' for master bath and adjoining closet. I'm leaning towards 10' W x 14' for the bath and 10' W x 7' for the closet. I'm hoping this gives me enough room for a double sink vanity along one wall and toilet closet, soaking tub and shower on the opposite wall.

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

We recently finished a remodel and our bathroom is roughly 9' x 13'. We were able to get a separate shower and tub. The room is just right for us and not so big that it's a huge chore to keep clean. We installed double sky lights in the center and that does make it feel a bit bigger.

• mrsb1227
    9 years ago

Mine is 9x12. We have two separate vanities (mine has a makeup area), soaking tub, and smallish sized shower. The long wall has the tub, shower, and toilet in that order. The space seems fine and not cramped. My only problem is that I wish the shower were larger. I contemplated getting rid of the tub and just doing a huge shower but decided against it in the end.

• pps7
    9 years ago

That's a nice size. I would pick either a double vanity or separate tub and shower. I don't know if I'd try to squeeze it all in there.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

17x9' master bath here don't find it narrow at all.. I guess it all depends on the layout. We have a double vanity with the a lowered cosmetic area, 6 ft. Jacuzzi tub, separate toilet room and walk in shower.

• Aims
    9 years ago

Ours is going to be 10 1/2 by 11 feet. We are going to have a stand alone tub, 4 x 4 foot shower, and water closet. My husband will have a linen closet and sink and I will have an l-shaped vanity with knee space that has a storage tower in the corner. We have a good amount of open space in the middle for moving around.

Our old master bathroom was just cramped. I had to move away from my sink in order for my husband to open the door to get in the bathroom. That is so not going to be a problem anymore :)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Whether the size will be okay or not is dependent on the # of fixtures, their location and the location of any doors/windows.

Let's see the layout.