Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phil17

Sample Home Construction Takeoffs?

phil17
10 years ago

I've been trying to find a good sample material takeoff for the construction of a mid-sized home... Given that it's such a standard thing I would figure that I could find it *somewhere* on the great big internet. But no such luck - my Google skills are failing me.

Anybody know where such a sample could be found? Or have one they're willing to share?

Comments (4)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a "standard" material takeoff or quantity survey, just as there's no agreement on what's a "mid-sized home". Every house and site tends to be rather unique, in one way or another.

If you're looking for a way to organize a listing of materials and equipment used on a house, you can always use the MasterSpec format for residences.

Good luck on your project.

• phil17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for not being very clear... I do realize that there's going to be quite a bit of variation between different takeoffs. I'm actually just looking for something that is somewhat *representative* of a material takeoff in terms of the items listed. I just want to see the kinds of things that are frequently included.

E.g. are drywall screws typically included, or does that typically just fall under a line item for drywall materials? What about all those other things I may not think of, but that are probably included with most houses... such as toilet paper dispensers, HVAC grilles, phone jacks, powder-actuated fasteners, joist hangers, etc.

I also realize there is no standard definition of a "mid-sized home", but wanted to at least narrow the scope a bit - so you know I'm not talking about a bathroom remodel or an industrial building. :-)

Anyway, the question still stands.

Thanks!

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Normally used fasteners, i.e., nails, screws, etc., are generally included with the estimate for the materials for which they are used. For example, exterior siding, interior gypsum board, roofing, etc., estimates include the necessary fasteners. Same for grout and adhesives when they are needed for various materials.

Miscellaneous metals includes commonly used standard metal framing devices, such as hangars, flashings, etc. Custom metal connectors, such as special made-up beam, joist and post connectors, etc., may be included in this category or in structural metals.

All of the other items you identify have to be included if they are to be priced and installed.

For a list of material/labor categories, use the MasterSpec outline spec for residential construction. You will have to decide from the list what you want included and what is not applicable.

You may be able to Google for house construction cost estimates or calculator and get some useful information.

Sounds like you need an architect and/or experienced general contractor to handle what should be included for bidding, since you're asking questions that take years of experience to understand.

Good luck on your project.

• phil17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Already talking with a couple of builders. But looking for a few points of reference in terms of what to expect and for the sake of comparison/evaluation. We did this with the drawings and found it immensely helpful. But then complete drawings are pretty easy to come by.

The AIA MasterSpec TOC is is a useful listing of general categories, but not quite what I'm looking for.