Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhettdrive

Final plans-any suggestions?

RhettDrive
10 years ago

We are empty nesters & bulding our forever home. The back faces a small lake on a 1.5 acre lot, we plan on a finished walkout basement.

This post was edited by RhettDrive on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 21:15

Comments (22)

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is basement plan

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

View from back of house.

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Back of house plans.

This post was edited by RhettDrive on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 21:17

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Front of house plans.

This post was edited by RhettDrive on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 21:22

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Front of house plans.

This post was edited by RhettDrive on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 21:19

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Back of house plans.

{{gwi:1515333}}

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

(Please, take your idevice, and retake the pictures in the proper orientation. They may look "normal" to you, but to anyone not on an idevice (ipod, iphone, etc), they are almost all upside down--and my brain has a difficult time "seeing" them upside-down.)

Fabulous. You've "fixed" it, and now, I can feel like I can look over them without getting vertigo ;)

I'll do so in the AM, but no need to start a new thread.

This post was edited by kirkhall on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 1:58

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm new here so thank you for your advice. Should I create a new thread then? Also not sure how to get the photos to upload in one consecutive post? I practiced but apparently not well enough. I will make another practice run then try it again.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

The pictures are all showing in the proper orientation, so I would not start a new thread. In order to get all of them in one posting, you have to list them all in that posting using html coding.

How many square feet is the house? Is that a 4 car garage?

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

There seems to be zero thought as to aging in place. That's something that empty nesters who are building a home should educate themselves on and incorporate. None of the baths incorporate universal design, despite having a ballroom dancefloor in the master. The space is allocated poorly. It's also a GIANT home for two people who presumably want to downsize and have less to take care of when they are less able for home care. A 4 car garage?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

If it were me, I would move the laundry to the basement and include a spot for stackable washer/dryer in master closet. This would give you the option to have windows in the kitchen and better location for laundry. Just an idea :)

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

It's a lovely plan, and perhaps you are downsizing, so the size of this isn't really my concern.

However, it certainly isn't elderly friendly. Your toilet is as far away as possible from your bed placement. Prepare to put a little portable toilet near your bed as you get a bit wobbly during the night. :) Remember, there is a time when you can still live in your home even without help, but will appreciate a house that has been designed for you to do so.

I would add windows over the built ins in the breakfast room and delete those overhead wall cupboards. This will give you more natural light in the kitchen, and you certainly don't need the extra storage space, imo.

Good luck with your build!

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great feedback/suggestion! I'v thought about the layout of the bathroom not being ideal but I get stuck with the window at the front of the house. Any advise with out destroying the entire plan? I hadn't thought about adding a window in the kitchen.
    Great food for thought. I'm afraid that I should have posted plans through out the many visits with architect & builder.
    I will be sure to consult through the rest of our project!!!

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great feedback/suggestion! I'v thought about the layout of the bathroom not being ideal but I get stuck with the window at the front of the house. Any advise with out destroying the entire plan? I hadn't thought about adding a window in the kitchen.
    Great food for thought. I'm afraid that I should have posted plans through out the many visits with architect & builder.

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

Regarding the bathroom. For my own personal taste, the bathroom would be scrapped and I'd start over.

That vestibule entering your master bedroom is a problem for a couple of reasons - possible wheelchair use and moving furniture! It's also going to be somewhat tight using that sink at the entrance to the bathroom. For such a spacious home, this is too small.

Instead, I would eliminate that sink altogether and rearrange everything so that you can enter the bedroom "and" the bathroom from the vestibule. We vacation in a lake house with this arrangement and I like it a great deal. From there I would have your architect complete redesign the bathroom with aging in place a priority. You don't need such open floor space to have a luxurious, well appointed bathroom.

And while I am fond of huge open floor plans, I also like cozy spots, so I would make sure your bedroom is designed so that you can include a cozy sitting area in your furniture placement. :)

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you all think of this new layout of M Bath? I'm good w/tub being horizontal under window &/or switching shower / closets.
    I'm working w/ the same box of original plans.Obviously not too sure but hoping the trained eye will be able to”see” my vision.

This post was edited by RhettDrive on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 0:10

• Buehl
    10 years ago

Just a head's up - I've posted some layout ideas for the kitchen on your thread on the Kitchens forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Kitchen layout-any advise?

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm attempting to post a link to some optional layout pics on the bathroom forum-fingers crossed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Bath layout

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This thread has moved to the bathroom forum. Here is a link http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg1208360420132.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread has moved, follow this link.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I agree that it's a large house for two people. Specific things I'd consider cutting:

- This is a laundry room sized for a family. I know that my grandmother had significant trouble carrying baskets back and forth to her bedroom; I'd rather have a small area adjacent to the closet so the clothes could go straight to their storage spots.

- The kitchen is large. Given that you have a large pantry, you probably don't need all this cabinet space (and pantry shelves are so much cheaper than cabinets).

- Note that when your pantry door is open, it covers some of your shelves. To access those items, you'd have to enter the closet and shut the door. Since I personally would leave that door open most of the time, I'd consider a pocket door.

- I like the garage entrance. I assume you'll have as few steps as possible. Do you have space for a ramp there?

- Why a four car garage? It seems like serious overkill, and it hurts the appearance of the front of the house. At the very least, I'd make the most forward garage a side-entrance so you could have one driveway serving both garages.

- Once you have a table in the breakfast nook, I don't see how you'll access that back door. I'd replace it with a bank of windows and go with a door in the great room.

- I agree with the poster who says it'd be nice if you could access either the master bedroom or bathroom from the little vestibule. If your mobility is affected one day, you'll be glad to bypass the few steps through the bedroom.

- Think twice about those double-doors. If you're ever using a walker or a wheelchair, one door is tough enough -- why force yourself to use two? And where does the light switch always end up in this scenario? Behind the door. So you'll have to enter the room, close the door, and feel around for the switch. No thanks.

- If you flip-flop the entryway and the staircase, you could extend your master closet underneath those large stairs . . . it might be half-height storage, but it'd be great for holiday items or things you don't access often . . . OR, if you leave the stairs "as is", you could extend the pantry under the stairs and have extra storage there. I absolutely would not waste that space, but I suppose the question is, Where do you need the extra storage most?

- You're having trouble with the bathroom. I wonder if it'd help to flip the bedroom to the front of the house and the bathroom to the back. This would take away the "everybody look at me" aspect of having your bathroom on the front wall of the house. I'd also consider a barrier-free shower. I would absolutely not go with the toilet-in-a-closet. I saw my grandmother struggle with her walker to get into public bathroom stalls, and I can only imagine how much worse it would've been, if she'd been in a wheelchair. Allow yourself plenty of space around the toilet. Also build in strong boards behind the walls NOW so you can later add handicapped grab-bars, if necessary; it'll save you ripping out your expensive tile later.

I've been investigating aging-in-place concepts, and I've read that the ability to bathe oneself is the first thing many people lose, so I'm choosing to put lots of effort into the bathroom.

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MrsPete- you bring up a valid point w/ the pantry door!

4 Car Garage is a down size from a 6 car garage- not even negotiable w/ the husband. LOL Side entry was simply not cost effective due to our lot slope. Gravel costs a fortune these days!

We are addressing the breakfast nook/door situation now.

The floor plan is a ranch w/ walk-out basement so I'm not sure what you mean about utilizing the space under the stairs.

We have TOTALLY changed the bathroom... yet AGAIN but we are getting really close. It's a good thing because we break ground as soon as temps are above freezing in OHIO. The link to the bathroom forum is in my previous post & would love for you to take a peek at it. See ya in the Bathroom forum!