Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnny_gw

How did you keep organized during your build?

sunnny
14 years ago

I have a bit of OCD and want to know what you did or didn't do to help keep your building info in order? I have the world famous persnickty's cost tracking sheet but I'd like to know others suggestions. I've read about keeping a binder with photos, information for each and every little details, etc. Did any of you try this and was it helpful or did you use another method? or nothing at all??

Just curious,

Sunny

Comments (9)

• mdmomof3
    14 years ago

I documented every transaction on the spreadsheet. I had separate spreadsheets for appliances, lighting, hardware and an overall budget spreadsheet. It waas helpful since at times the builder would say, oh we are under and I can let him know the exact number.
    I also kept a notebook with pictures, small pdfs of the plans, invoices. I also had the builder send me all invoices on email and ccd the bank so everyone had a paper trail. It was very helpful.

• mdev
    14 years ago

In addition to a spreadsheet for purchases, I kept a small leather notebook which I was never without. Every call, every meeting, every discussion with a supplier has a date at the top of the page and notes about the meeting- phone numbers, who was slated to follow up on what, details on every product ordered w/ part numbers if they were discussed, and most importantly, who/what/where/when, etc. I can't tell you the number of times it saved me. Biggest was a discussion about the doors. They shipped all the wrong doors and I had notes specifically saying we had ordered a different part number and it even described the correct door and P/N. It also listed who was in the meeting that day and when we met. Yes, it was on the plan- but like many things, details changed over the course of the build. Every time someone tried to slap us with additional charges, I referred back to the meeting notes and what we agreed upon. Big stuff I followed up with via email to confirm all parties were on the same page. Don't wait for the builder/ contractor to do stuff like that- they won't and you'll be the one stuck holding the bag.

• sunnny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mdmom & mdev,
    These are great suggestions and I've read your posts to DH. What vabulable information. I'm going to take persnicky's sheet and tweek it for our purpose and going to buy 2 small notebooks for each of us. Any other ideas??
    Sunny

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

I'm still in the pre-construction phase, but I have a large 3-ring binder with zipper, add'l pockets and handle on the spine that's my construction bible. It has big pockets on the outside for pens, a calculator and odd items I pick up like samples. Inside, I have large file pockets to hold odd items like folded-up plans. In the binder section, right on top is a business card holder and contact sheet. Then, individual tabs for major items like "plumbing," "lighting," "legal," etc. I keep everything from docs to spec sheets to bids to renderings to key inspiration pics I need to show to the more artistic subs like the trim carpenter.

Electronically, I keep all the emails sorted and I can access them from any computer or on my blackberry. I also have a spreadsheet which is my spec list. It's divided up much like the notebook -- by TYPE of item. After all, I don't bid a room, I bid a type of product. The plumbing house isn't going to bid my kitchen cabinets. So for example, on the plumbing page I have all plumbing-related stuff, sorted by floor and room, and then all the items I will need to buy or spec out. Each line item contains a description, specification, model number, source, and estimated cost. It goes on to include cost, tax, and total cost for those items I have already purchased, and is subtotaled at the bottom. A final spreadsheet tab contains misc. items I have purchased for the transaction, like software, money paid to have plans drawn and so forth.

If there were two of me directly involved in the build, I'd only make two smaller notebooks with duplicates of important items (like the legal papers and any "hot" topics.) Then divvy up items by responsibility. Maybe one party is in charge of the kitchen, bath and utility and the other is on charge of windows, doors and landscaping.

Although I'm a computer programmer, I personally am more comfortable with having a paper based notebook for this kind of thing. There's something creatively visceral about being able to flip back and forth to look at items. But, if it were essential to have two parties with access to ALL information, I'd buy two netbooks and configure a central repository like Google Docs that you both access concurrently to avoid sync issues. Keeping two paper notebooks sync'd could be very difficult, especially if one party is not as organized or as invested in the notebooks as the other.

By the way, all parties involved seem a little taken aback that I can grab a tab and flip the book open to the current topic. Except my GC, who seems delighted.

• booboo60
    14 years ago

These are all great suggestions but you know, every one is different and our build did not require( at least by us) a computer program or multiple files! We had an organized builder who met with us every week to give us receipts, go over what our budget was, etc. I did some "favorites" on the computer plus GW :) I had a tote bag full of brochures, samples, etc. We kept a file folder for all our receipts and a separate one for our construction loan.

• sunnny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi to everyone,
    Alabamanicole I really like your ideas and seems it would keep me organized. I especially like your idea for the binder. And twotogo I agree everyone requires or doesn't require the same things and I really like your idea of a tote to carry samples around, too.
    I appreciate everyones ideas so much.
    Sunny

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

Everyone's brain works differently; you have to plan and execute what will work for you. I have a friend who's a 100% artist type. She sorts everything by color and shape. Works for her; would drive me batty. :)

I am starting to think I need one of those rolling file cart things for all the samples.

• brmjandme
    14 years ago

I am an accountant by trade and kept several three ring notebooks. I used the draw request to organize my records. I kept copies of all invoices.

My biggest downfall was not documenting every conversation with gc or subs. If I ever did this again, that would be by biggest change.

I also had a small box by room which I would put a sample of the finish selections so I had it all handy when I went shopping - tile, flooring, paint selection (even fabric selections as I progressed). I also had a copy of the floorplans so I could estimate square footages, etc.

• suero
    14 years ago

I kept a diary with with a narrative of what happened each day.
    Also, a binder with file protector pockets for each item: receipts, samples, warranty, and any documentation that came with the item, such as the date of manufacture.
    Also, photos with tape measure of every stage of construction. It's my x-ray vision that enables me to see through walls.