Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melaska

Boric acid - SO confused!

melaska
11 years ago

I've been researching all over and am finding conflicting info.

We are all shelled in...we have mold growing in some areas of the wood studs. We've had a horribly wet summer here in Valdez, Alaska.

I came upon a solution to TREAT mold: (From eHow.com)

1/2 cup boric acid powder

1/2 cup white vinegar

1 cup water

Here's a solution to PREVENT: (eHow.com)

Combine one part hydrogen peroxide with three parts water in bucket. Stir thoroughly.

Add 2 cups boric acid for every gallon of the water/peroxide mixture and stir thoroughly.

Then I see a 2-year old thread on Gardenweb where someone told a poster that you cannot store peroxide mixed with anything in a closed container.

We were planning to put the mixture in a Hudson sprayer so isn't that a closed container??? Or if I should mix the solution in a regular spray bottle?

We are getting the appropriate half mask respirator with splash goggles and a P-100 cartridge filter. I gave the supplier the MSDS info for boric acid.

We are planning to spray the 4.5' high crawl space w/plenty of ventilation as we do so. We also plan to put in reinforced 10 ml sheeting.

A question I was asked by someone: "Aren't you worried about all those boric acid fumes seeping up into your house?" Is that an issue?

Thanks for any help!

Comment (1)