Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
byrdlady_gw

Cost of side garage door

byrdlady
10 years ago

Builder just quoted a price of $3100 to add side service door to garage with a 3 x 3 concrete pad. This seems high to me. Your comments please...

Comments (18)

• mushcreek
    10 years ago

A basic, no-frills exterior door is $120 retail. That leaves a lot of room for labor. A lot depends upon what stage your build is at. If they haven't even started, that's ridiculous. If the house is fully finished, and they have to cut and frame the opening, remove the siding to properly flash it, pull a permit, etc., etc., then maybe it makes more sense. Even so, I would think a pro could do the whole job in a day or so.

• LOTO
    10 years ago

Do you really need the service door in the garage? We just finished our build and eliminated the service door. In our last several homes we have always had a service door and hardly ever used it..just 1 more door to make sure is locked at night. We have 3 large windows in our garage and in case of an emergency I guess we could easily exit there.

BTW....$3,100.00 sounds crazy high unless there are a bunch of issues with the install that haven't been described.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

If this a change order to a project already underway, then negotiate. Otherwise get other bids--you need a guy who specializes in jobs this small--or combine it with some other concrete/door/window work you've been meaning to do. Good luck!

• xc60
    10 years ago

When we've added a door it was the same as live_wire_oak stated. It was around $850 for a plain door installed and then the rest.....

• Jan Anthony
    7 years ago

I am purchasing new construction in Las Vegas. The homes do NOT come with a garage service door. They are asking $1850.00 to put in the door! This seems ridiculous to me! How much would it cost to put the door in after completion of the project?

• User
    7 years ago

I thought I needed one of those since I never had one. Wish someone would offer me $1850 for it. Has it ever been opened??? Hmmm...possibly never!

• User
    7 years ago

Not enough information for cost estimation. Hope the contractor wasn't guessing too.

• Jay Walsh
    7 years ago

Our builder wanted $1750 for a door into the garage.

• sprink1es
    7 years ago

Depends on door. Also it sometimes becomes a lot of labor. Someone now has to re-frame the rough opening, shim the frame, install the frame properly, hang the door and install the hardware/locks... Oh wait now a locksmith has to rekey it so it's keyed alike with the rest of the house...

No idea what the cheapest scenario should be for adding one though

• Ron Natalie
    7 years ago

Rekeying takes about ten minutes and the locksmith nearby (and he's not cheap) only charges $20 if I bring him the locks.

As pointed out, if you've not begun construction, the add on cost seems exhorbitant. If you've got to rework an already built garage plus pour a stoop when you don't have other concrete work to do, it could run a bit.

• tv4184
    6 years ago

Glad I happened across this thread. And here I thought my quote for the rear garage door was expensive for my build. Maybe it's the non standard option making it cost more...

• Lisa G
    6 years ago

We paid an extra $450 for a man door in our garage which included the 3x3 concrete pad. We added this on right from the start.

I'm shocked so many of you never use your man door. We use it anytime we're out working in the yard pulling weeds, raking, using a shovel, planting flowers, etc...basically going in and out of the garage a lot. We hated the idea of having to have a full garage door open just to grab a shovel. I didn't want to have to leave the garage doors open while we were working out in the yard. We keep the garbage can and recycling bin in the garage and sometimes haul it to the curb through the man door because otherwise it's a tight fit maneuvering the cans around the cars to take them through the garage doors.

• HU-456916424172554
    5 years ago

I recently had a pool built and would like an external door added to the back of my house what should I expect to pay? I have a block home in FL.

• David Cary
    5 years ago

$10,000?. Perhaps high but I am figuring this - labor is tight in Fl, it is an annoying job for a GC, cutting into block is about the hardest thing you can do, you would probably need structural engineering to sign off on it, are there wires in that area? plumbing?

Adding things is one of the many reasons concrete block is not a common building practice outside of Fl.

So I guess the range for something like this is $450 to $10,000. Love it.

• Pinebaron
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Without knowing precise details of effort and partuculars of the door, it is not possible to justify or disagree with your costs though they seem high.

I paid $500 for 3 ft x 8ft Smooth Fiberglass Door; this did not include cost of framing and header which was part of my framing package.

Based on my knowledge, one should expect to pay and prices stated below are generally on the higher side:

Concrete pad: $300-$350 material and labor (could be off a little here)

Header change/build: $200-$350 depending on labor hours, door size etc.

Door (fiberglass is recommended for exterior): $500

Door painting: $100+

You are basically looking at $1200-$1500 all in.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

If this is an existing garage, you have to make the opening (probably installing a header), cut down the block (depend on how high the stem wall is from the finished grade), prep the opening, install the door and pour the pad... paint and finish the siding around it. So the cost to do everything at this stage would be about that.

If you add the door after you move in, you will probably pay the same, then again it all depends who is doing the work and installation quality.

If this is new construction or in the framing stage, it should cost less.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Five year old thread...?