Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlc712_gw

What do you think of this plan?

jlc712
9 years ago

I like this plan best of what I've seen so far (link attached). What do you think?

Things I like: formal spaces and foyer in front of the house; openness in the family spaces; symmetry and flow; big laundry room; awesome kid space with loft; separate space above the garage; lots of closets; not too big.

Could anyone educate me on the dashed lines in the plan? Is it ceiling height/style? Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse plan

Comments (6)

• methoddesigns
    9 years ago

Dashed lines are ceiling lines and ceiling details.

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

I am not sure about the french doors in foyer area. Unless you entertain, I would change out the butlers area between kitchen and dining amd make it a walk in pantry. I did not see a front door coat closer. Those bedrooms are tiny. I would rework that space and remove the play area. As kids grow, they don't play in areas any longer.

Nice plan with the above changes, if it were mine.

• yankeepac
    9 years ago

I just don't understand the need for a "living room" any longer, Perhaps a Den/flex room would be better suited. Having a quiet area away from the family room to retreat to, to study, read, or even place an overnight guest.
    I agree, dump the play room, It will end up being used as junk collection spot in the future, Furniture wont fit well without blocking travel, or blocking the only window.
    I plan on doing an enclosed pantry for my future home too.
    May want reconfigure the master bath somewhat, It looks like the kids bath is actually bigger than yours. It would be nice to have a bit bigger shower.

• cefoster
    9 years ago

Ok...like it and agree with others about play room and making it a walk in pantry.
    My pet peeve is having a toilet visible when coming thru the foyer. If you flipped it, the door to the powder room would be opposite the pantry. That is my thought. Good luck!!

• mrspete
    9 years ago

First, not a problem, just a comment: This is in no way a farmhouse.

The two formal rooms in front are small -- like the size of a child's bedroom. As such, I wonder just how useful they'll be. Consider the table you could place in that dining room; anything larger than a 5' round would prohibit movement.

Likewise, at less than 10' wide, the kids' bedrooms just aren't big enough. This is a large house -- why put the kids in rooms barely larger than closets? I agree that you could incorporate the playroom into the kids' bedrooms and make them decent sized.

The kids' bathroom vanity isn't big enough to comfortably hold two sinks. If you go with one sink, you'll be able to have storage on each side of the sink -- and with NO other storage in this bathroom, you need that under-sink strorage. Note that you have no space even for a hamper and trash can in this room.

Looking at the master bath, you have all the major players, and you have storage . . . but the whole thing is cramped in terms of space . . . and the shower is tiny, only as wide as a toilet space, which is probably somewhere in the 30-36" range. Before I'd accept a shower that tiny, I'd just go with the shower-over-tub.

Overall, the only rooms that are actually a comfortable size are the utility room, the kitchen and the master bedroom; the other rooms can only be described as "cozy". But the house is not quite 3000 sf, so where's the space going? Some of it is in the formal rooms, but quite a bit is wasted on excess hallway spaces.

I'd flip-flop the utility room cabinets so the water could be shared with a pot filler and an ice maker on the other side of that wall. And I'd move the dryer to the exterior wall so it could vent more easily to the outside.

Kitchen and pantry look good.

I do not like this plan. It incorporates everything that's "hot" these days: Complicated footprint and roof, all the right rooms, items that people want like double sinks and a kitchen island . . . but it is sadly lacking in function and storage. I don't think it will live comfortably.

• jlc712
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your input! I am just in thinking/planning mode- actual build is still far in the future. I'm looking for a plan I like to take to a local architect and then go from there. I am having a tough time finding plans that are not HUGE square footage, but still have the things we want/need. This plan was pretty unique in what I've seen so far. I realize it's not a traditional farmhouse, it was just labelled as "Modern Farmhouse".

I had the same concerns mentioned about small room sizes. I love the idea of the separate kids room with the loft, but it does make the bedrooms too small. Dining room IS too small. The formal LR would be used as a library/den.

I am happy to hear the same thoughts I had about flipping the W/D and sink in the utility room, and eliminating a sink in the kid's bath. It helps me to know I'm "seeing" some of the issues.