Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burbmomoftwo_gw

Choosing a Builder...the specs

burbmomoftwo_gw
9 years ago

Analyzing the specs of a couple of builders here in Ohio (Zone 5), and it's amazing the differences in the 'way' they build a home. How do I choose who is building the 'best' house?

Framing/Insulation
Builder1 - 2x6 exterior construction 24" On-Center, R-21 fiberglass insulation, 2x4 garage walls, R-11 fiberglass insulation, R-38 blown into attic, Tyvek House Wrap

Builder2 - 2x4 exterior construction 16" On-Center, R-15 Kraft batt insulation, 2x4 garage walls, R-15 Kraft batt insulation, R-40 blown into attic, Enviro-Dri Weather Barrier

HVAC
Builder1 - Goodman 95% Gas Furnace with 13 Seer Heat Pump

Builder2 - Goodman 96% Gas Furnace with 13 Seer A/C

Windows
Builder1 - Anderson 100 Series Windows

Builder2 - Simonton Vinyl Windows

Cabinets
Builder1 - Waypoint

Builder2- Legacy Debut

Various other differences, but similarities too.

Any thoughts on either of the 'spec' sheets? Amazing that these two homes could possibly be built right next to each other, but 2 different approaches to construction. They both look beautiful :)

Comments (8)

• renovator8
    9 years ago

The Enviro-Dri Weather Barrier is much better than a plastic wrap. It's puzzling that the walls would only have R15 fiberglass which seems like an exaggeration to begin with. Why not dense pack cellulose? Simonton makes several different models/grades of PVC windows and I would assume the worse without a real spec. The Andersen is a builder grade wood/PVC composite window that only offers between-the-glass mullions so they would not be the best choice for a traditional house design. They appear to be Andersen's Renewal replacement windows dressed up for new construction and re-branded.

I would be looking for a builder that offered options for these basic building elements rather than a take it or leave it list.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 7:14

• millworkman
    9 years ago

That is not a spec sheet as much as those are features. A spec sheet should be much more detailed and "looks" don't tell you an awful lot about the builder. Chevy, Chrysler and Ford all build cars a little different as well.

• burbmomoftwo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Revovator8 - I don't know much about insulation, but it seems like R-15 is the latest/greatest High Density that fits in a 2x4 wall. I found this:

http://insulation.owenscorning.com/homeowners/renovation/products/r-15-fiberglas-insulation/

• lepages
    9 years ago

I would think that in Zone 5 you would want more than R-15 in the walls.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

For Climate Zone 5 the IECC and the IRC require a stud wall to have an R-value of 20 or an R of 13 plus a layer of continuous exterior R-5 foam board. Perhaps Builder #2 has used the performance alternative method to comply but I don't see how that would be practical if it is even possible.

If the feature list of Builder #2 includes a layer of foam board that would be the better choice as long as the window and door openings are properly flashed (especially at the sills).

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 6:15

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

A stud wall will lose about 25% of its R rating due to heat loss through the studs, so R-15 is pretty poor indeed. I would go 2X6 with cellulose AND external foam, both to boost R-value, and minimize the thermal transfer through the studs. I'd go more than R-38 in the attic, too.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

In Zone 5, you might want to look into ICF. As for the cabinets, look at your local cabinet builders. IMO, it makes no sense in paying for a brand name for boxes. They can be custom made and cost allot less.

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

MushCreek makes an important point to consider. Adding at least 1" of rigid foam board to the outside of the wall sheathing and the roof sheathing stops thermal transfer through the studs and rafters in direct contact with the sheathing. Taping the joints stops air leaks. Taped house wrap does the same thing.

Good luck with your project