Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stblgt_gw

wall mount lights on garage...

stblgt
10 years ago

so we've began picking out the final pieces for our new build and found a great collection of exterior wall mount lights for the garage, front door, etc. we have a pretty popular light factory near our house and a lot of people who are building usually shop here. now here's the problem (if you want to call it that)...

we are supposed to finalize our order tomorrow (Monday) and we just drove through our development and noticed that our neighbor has the SAME lights we're about to purchase. they don't have any by the front door (they have recessed), but near the garage. same height, style, color etc.

we're a little upset since we didn't notice this before (I don't know how) and aren't sure about having the exact lights because we don't want them to think we copied them or anything. I'm probably over reacting about the situation, but that's what I came here to hear other people's opinions on how they'd feel if your neighbor got the same lights as you had.

anyways, what should I end up doing? would you still purchase them even though your neighbor has them or shop around for something else?

Comments (9)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Buy them...you and maybe the neighbor will be the only ones who will notice they are the same.

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeah, we might just go through with it and finalize the order because it's our favorite ones and nothing really comes close to these. I guess it's best to buy what we want and not worry about anyone else or what they'll think.

hopefully I can get some more opinions on this throughout the day. thanks in advance.

• cardinal94
    10 years ago

I think it depends how unique they are. Guessing since they were bought locally they are on a lot of homes that you have yet to notice!

Our home will have a cupola. Some people behind us are just completing a house with a cupola. When we saw that going up, we had thoughts of oh, bet they'll think we're copying. Little do they know we've had that cupola design since we lived in a house with one 15 yrs ago.

Bottom line- do what you want for your home. Who knows? Maybe your neighbors copied off someone else! The best form of flattery -

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Not only would I buy them, I would not be upset if someone else bought them.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

They're just light fixtures. Buy what you like and move on.

Good luck with your project.

• rrah
    10 years ago

It's unlikely anyone will notice except you. Assuming the exterior of the houses are different, the colors may look slightly different from the street.

Unless the fixtures are very unique, most fixtures end up looking the same from a distance anyway.

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flint2013 - it's funny you said that because there actually are quite a bit of homes in the area (other developments) with those exact lights (varying in colors), but, for our street it just so happened to be the exact lights our neighbor has. their garage will be right next to ours, also.

rrah - yes, the two houses are completely different and look nothing at all alike. that's something I never thought about either.

the lights aren't "special" in any way, but they are a little larger than most wall mounts on the street and they will definitly be noticable compared to any others. that was my main concern about getting the same ones.

sounds like the majority here is saying stick with our gut and purchase them no matter what. thanks for all comments so far, it's really making me feel better about the decision!

This post was edited by stblgt on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 9:18

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

When we were building, I was always amazed at how much I didn't notice. I never noticed details of paint colors until we were selecting colors. I never noticed front doors until we were looking for ours. I never noticed the variety of garage doors until we were selecting ours. I never paid attention to mail boxes until we were selecting ours.

So I doubt many people will notice the specifics of the light fixture or many of the other details you'll sweat over. It's just how it is.

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

I think if you don't buy them you will regret it every time you go by the neighbors.