Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new materials for plan

Posted by laurabethmsw (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 22:03

The one on the left is the house we hope to build because we love the layout and size (see previous post), the right is our inspiration for materials. We want all stone with that old cottage feel. I'm wondering if our elevation will look okay with these materials: stone, shutters, shingle. If we did all stone, would you make the large window in front that juts out stucco? Yes, I know they are expensive but are in the budget. THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new materials for plan

I am not a professional, but I think that house would look darling (and certainly cottage-y) in all stone with shingles. Why would you want to just put stucco on one portion, though? To me, it would seem unbalanced as the only stucco element.

o

Thanks! I just can't figure out what else to do with that part that juts out a tad (just the part with the window). I'm searching Houzz for ideas now :) I just don't think stone on stone would work there, but maybe...

o

I would do all stone :) I am "old school" though and think you should change materials only when it makes sense - i.e., if the building was added on to over time. I don't see a change in materials just on the jut out.

o

I'm not liking the idea of shutters, especially for the large window in the front. The shutters are going to be too narrow and will look out of proportion.

o

Yea, will probably only do shutters above the garage. Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here