Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmrbound

Am I overthinking this?

Kathy Harrington
10 years ago

How are you guys making your selections? Do you know exactly what you want before you begin or do you use an Interior Designer to help with flooring, trim, colors, windows, lighting? I have a floor plan I like, but can't decide anything else. I want to have fun with this, but have such eclectic taste, I have a hard time visualizing and find myself second guessing every potential decision. This is a small custom builder who doesn't have an interior designer on staff. Trying to decide if I need to hire someone and how much is a customary fee. One designer wants to charge 12-15k to consult on the entire project. Cross posted this on Home Decorating. Thanks

Comments (21)

• jdez
    10 years ago

Get the houzz app. It really helps. If I hired a designer, I wouldn't be able to afford anything nice. So... I browse at the big box stores and pick out stuff that I like. Then I try to find it on houzz.com to help me visualize it. I can't always find exactly what I'm looking for but almost everything. And, no, I don't work for them, I am just a houzz addict.

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

harringK, I am no expert in this area but went over this sturggle recently and decided to go with a ID. What is the sq ft of the house? Sometimes for a new build some ID's do the deisgn based on per sqft . It can range from 1 dollar to 10 dollars depending on services being provided.

You could always be clearwith her that you need help in cetrain areas and not others if you like her work. She could chnage the scope of the work based on your requirement.

The other option is to use only for area's of the house that you need the most help with example Kitchen but not bedrooms and so on.

If you are not sure of her work then you could always try her hourly and see how it goes.
    I wish we had started with a ID sooner.

• dyno
    10 years ago

For consulting on paint colors, tile, flooring, cabinet colors, countertops - we had the interior designer at Benjamin Moore help us. Under $1000 total and we feel we got great value from her.

An interior designer will help balance your eclectic taste with more conventional choices. It's all too easy to go overboard.

• rbattaglia24
    10 years ago

If you have the money for an ID it would obviously save a lot of time and stress.

If not, I would definitely start by using Houzz and Pinterest. I have gotten practically every idea for our house from them. You can search by almost any combination and narrow down things you like. Most pictures have more information, including paint colors used and where to buy items shown.

I would much rather save the 12-15k and use that money to buy awesome stuff for in the house.

Other good resources, like dyno mentioned, are the in-store associates. Ask the paint stores, lighting stores, and cabinetry places for their recommendations.

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

Well I would think that you could get some experienced help for much less than that unless you just do not want to spend any effort doing it yourself.

Nothing wrong with eclectic tastes, most people I would think have a fairly wide range of likes. You might choose an hourly consulting based arrangement. Just to get some broad tips and a direction.

Usually there are some limiting factors that can start the process. I personally prefer an integrated theme where all rooms are substantially similar but I have visited European palaces where each room is very different.

There is no reason modern fixtures can't be mixed with traditional furniture (other than personal preference)

Maybe the hardest part is just to start. Because that requires you to commit to a choice and if you lack confidence in your abilities than there is that lingering doubt that you made the wrong choice.

I would say collect some pictures of things you like and look for a common pattern. Do they tend to be modern or traditional? Colorful or Earth-tones? etc..

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

While an interior designer may be your best bet, may I make a suggestion? Take a day or two off and just go visit some kitchen and bath, lighting, granite, brick, window, etc stores. Just go "browsing". Maybe even hit a Benjamin Moore store and look at paint colors. Don't go feeling you HAVE to make decisions. Just go for a fun day. If you fall in love with something, tale a picture and ask for the brochure. Grab some color cards you like. This is just so much different than starting your search online!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I have a floor plan I like, but can't decide anything else. I want to have fun with this, but have such eclectic taste, I have a hard time visualizing and find myself second guessing every potential decision.

Go simple and neutral on the permanently installed materials like countertops, woodwork, and cabinetry. Let your eclectic taste run wild when it comes to paint, furniture and accessories.

Set up an account on Pinterest and pin pictures of interiors that appeal to you ... and WHY you like them. Also make a board of interiors you find unattractive and WHY you don 't like them.

A pattern will appear.

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. I appreciate your opinions. I have decided to work with her on a hourly basis as needed. I agree help can be found at a much lower cost, but help is still needed. I spent some time talking with my builder and architect and I think between them, my husband and myself we can make decisions and have the designer weigh in when necessary.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

The best suggestion that I can make to you is to develop a mission statement for the home as a whole, and then weigh every single choice against that mission statement. A designer is often very helpful in achieving that initial focus.

"I want warm organic neutrals that aren't my grandmother's, yet aren't from Mars."

"I want a home that looks like it could have been built in the last century, but with modern amenities (disguised as much as possible."

"I want something bright and colorful as an English flower garden, yet as restful as a classic Lutyens bench in that garden."

Too many people are unfocused when it comes to making choices, because there ARE so many choices. Nothing says that you can't love a lot of different styles, but good design says that you don't use them all in your home. Eclectic is the hardest design style to get right. Without a guide who is willing to force the hard choices, it ends up being a mish mash without any focus. The big secret is that there can be a lot of "right" choices in the abstract, but that each choice that you DO make will further diminish the subsequent number of right choices.

Learn how to do a mood board, where you bring all of your choices together in one viewing instead of piecemeal. That will tell you pretty quick if your heartthrob Blue Bahaia granite works well with your natural maple cabinets and travertine floors. It's much easier to change things in cyberspace and on paper than it is to pay to have a wrong choice removed and redone.

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

I found this app and it has been a tremendous help to me! I have pinned bunches on Pinterest and have looked and looked on Houzz, but this allowed me to see my choices together.

Here's my moodboard for my son's bedroom and bathroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moodboard

This post was edited by neroselover on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 20:30

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

There are enough decisions on a large custom build that you may wish you had decided on the flat fee instead.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I wouldn't rely on photographs to match color. We've got a box with material samples-- more than once, something we thought would work based on photos online didn't work, and something we didn't think would work did.

Years ago there was a show on BBC America (via the BBC) called Design Rules that I found really helpful. Now the whole thing is on youtube.

Here is a link that might be useful: BBC Design Rules

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if you are referring to the OP or my mood boards that I've posted with your comment about not relying on photographs to match color. The majority of the things I've put on my mood boards are items I've seen in person. All the tile choices and paint colors are have been seen in person. The mood board has allowed me to see how all the selections work together.

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the idea of the mood board and have down loaded it on my IPad. Now, I'm playing with it. Not a lot of instructions on how to use it and I'm a little computer illiterate. May be back here to ask questions. Thanks!

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

If you have questions about the app, just ask. My daughter and I have been playing with for a couple of months now. I think I have most of it figured out. :)

• Lara
    10 years ago

love your moodboards neroselover! We have similar taste. :) Gonna go get that app now.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

harring-I like so many different things that I knew I'd need help. I found a lady that works as an ID for a builder but also does some ID on the side. She will help as little or as much as I want - even just to run ideas/color schemes by her. I pay her by the hour (and completely reasonable at $50/hour) and it will be worth every penny...peace of mind. :)

nero-if I may ask - what is the name of that light fixture in your bath mood board? Sorry to the OP. Not trying to hijack

Lisa

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

Autumn 4 -- light fixture is in the link. This is where I bought from. They had one of the best prices on it. Quick shipping also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Fixture

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Thanks nero - I should have been more clear - I was referring to the one to the left of this on your board - the wall sconce.

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

Autumn -- Ah, I debated about replying with both. :)

Here you go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Sconce

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Thank you! That is a really cool light. :)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors