Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
embemis_gw

floorplan review needed

embemis
10 years ago

We are about to embark on our first new build and would greatly appreciate layout advice. We are currently a family of 4 (2 daughters ages 5 and 9 months) and will likely have another baby in future. We are building on a large lakefront lot that has a valley/slope that we are using for a walkout basement. We plan to finish only a bathroom and hunting room for my husband in the basement initially with plans to finish the rest down the road.
The kitchen is horrible in initial floorplan - have already met with a KD and have kitchen plans on a separate sheet. It does incorporate the "eat-in" area with cabinets and window seats on both sides of where the kitchen table would go. (there will be a couple of tall skinny cabs here to house broom/mop/etc)
I would love to nix the 2 story great room and have a playroom above, but that is one of the few things my husband feels very strongly about, so I am trying to pick and choose my battles;)
Carport will not have the closets on the right that are shown, we will have storage accessible from outside in the basement - would rather have columns supporting for more visual appeal.
Thanks so much for your time and help!

Comments (4)

• embemis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2nd floor

• bpath
    10 years ago

Upstairs, one bathroom has a door to the tub/toilet; does it need it? And another bathroom opens to the hall, not the bedroom. Since the other bathrooms are ensuite, why not that one? It's clearly only for that bedroom next to it.

For the 2-story family room, can you have it all? Here's what I'm thinking: Have a family room ceiling, but maybe 11 or 12', enough so your DH can hang the moose head, but still keep it cozy. Then, upstairs, can you open up the ceiling above that space, put in a couple of steps, and have a playroom for the girls? It could be their own little aerie! Great for slumber parties, too. In that case, I guess you'd want to keep a bathroom accessible from the hall.

Downstairs, I can't quite read the labels. What is behind the mudroom? And do you not need a front hall closet?

• embemis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bpathome - not sure why the one bathroom upstairs has a door to tub/toilet, removing it. Also have planned to close door to hall and make the other bathroom en suite as well - that must have been left from when I had a playroom over great room.

Love your idea about the raising ceiling in great room and having playroom above - will continue working on husband!

Was worried that you wouldn't be able to read room labels on first floor. The room behind the mud room is an office/craft room for me.

I have never had a house with a front hall closet, must be the mild climate here makes them not a necessity - if the basement stairs were not under the 2nd floor stairs I could have put one there...

• Katy60
    10 years ago

If you entertain large groups, you might want to rethink closing the hall entrance to the bath upstairs. We use an upstairs bath as a secondary guest bath when we have a crowd and it is often needed.