Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trendy Building that will Scream 'Built in 2000s'

Posted by jnjmom (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 21:31

We are now in the process of choosing some of the interior finishes and fixtures for our new construction. After visiting with some family members this weekend, I began to wonder (while looking at her matching apricot - and probably very expensive - Kohler shower/tub, potty, and sink - and not only was the sink apricot but also a hexagon!) what are people putting in today's houses that will scream 2008 in ten years?

I know that you need to get what you like, don't worry too much about resale, yada yada, but this dear lady was talking about remodeling to sell, and I thought, it'll cost her a fortune. With the teal and maroon carpet, the ultra brass fixtures, the pink tile around the fireplace, and the pickled cabinets (all of this was very very high end when they built, BTW) she will spend way more getting it up-to-date than she can get out of it. The only thing, IMO, that still looks great is her granite counters.

My DH was trying to talk me into rounded corners in the house, and I nixed it for this very reason - I like the look right now, but I'm afraid it will be very 2008 one day - and that's not any easy fix. I know that everything will be out eventually, but there is a difference between dated and too hard/expensive to update. We are thinking we'll be in this house approx 10 years.

So I got to thinking, what would you GWers consider to be the current building equivalent to stirrup pants and bell bottoms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trendy Building that will Scream 'Built in 2000s'

The white on white kitchen: too common, too cold, and there's evidence the backlash is already starting.

I think the all stainless appliance suite is about over, too: when a formerly high end finish starts showing up on entry level appliances, it looses a lot of appeal for up-market buyers. I think the next appliance trend is color, and lots of it.

Sadly, I suspect ORB-- unless it really suits the style of the house-- is rapidly approaching it's sell-by date. I have a whole house full, some not even installed yet, but when I was faucet shopping recently, a lot of the newer models didn't seem to be offered in ORB.

I'm interested in what comes next, size wise. With the current houseing glut, will the few custom builds still being done be larger or smaller than in recent times? The up-sizing has been going on so long, one wonders if it can or should continue [says the single man about to move into his 5500 s.f. house].

o

I think as far as building styles - that is really hard to predict. The split level is one that is dated. But you can walk into a house built in 1920 that was a basic colonial that people are still building today.

Now - cathedral ceilings in this area scream 90s. You see the occassional custom build with them but they were overdone in the 90s. 2 story great rooms are declining in number and IMO will scream late 90s and early 2000. 2 story foyers started a little earlier and may continue a little longer but they will be a dated technique.

ORB= 2000s. Now I love it but still.

Rounded corners - I've seen 1 house with it here and that was built in 2000. So that one is definitely regional.

House size - I think the average will stagnate and shrink but that doesn't mean that a large house will be dated necessarily. There have always been large houses and there will always be a desire for them. I do think cheap looking large houses will scream 2000s - as in why would you build a house for middle income people that they can't afford to heat and cool?

Now 10 foot ceilings I am unclear on. They are in all the nice custom homes around here. We all mostly grew up with 8 foot and some morphed to 9 in the 1990s but there were 10 foot ceilings a long time ago - like early in the century. I like the 10 foot ceilings...

Large kitchens - I'll assume that this "trend" isn't going anywhere. Open kitchens - that has a better chance of becoming dated but I don't know.

Stone is getting overdone (on the front of the house) but it still costs enough that it shouldn't be too trendy. And so many choose brick so there is some variety.

YMMV.

o

I agree with a lot of the prior postings, especially david_cary. It's difficult to differentiate between "trend" and "fad"; but no question that the more faddish, the shorter the trend. And classic is classic; a starting date might be known, but the 'end date' just doesn't exist.

Color combinations are almost always faddish, and the more distinct, the more likely they will soon be dated. That is, teal and burgundy will date while paler neutrals remain classic. Monotones [of any color] date, but the dates are cyclic; that is, their popularity seems to repeat, so that they are "in" or "out" repeatedly. I find it LOL, to consider stainless as dated, its popularity began in the upper elcheapo lines and migrated rapidly to the upper BigName lines, where it will probably remain until the manufacturers discard practicality in favor of datable colors. And I'm sure they will do so sooner rather than later, because the sooner they can convince the public that color and style supercedes functionality, the sooner they will make more money selling new models to those who wish to be thought of as being up-to-date.

Specific housing styles vary so much from one side of the country to the other, that I doubt we will see any one particular style as being dated... regional preferences overlap and migrate so that "new" on the West Coast may be long "old" on the East Coast. And vice versa.

I have seen one distinct building style which does appear [to me] very dated/datable. That is the massively extreme roof, which visually takes up half to two-thirds of the elevation. IMO, it is the single element that shrieks 1990-2000.

I do think there will be a trend toward an average of slightly smaller square footage, although -as has been pointed out-- if one wants to and can afford to build Big, one can usually afford to maintain/heat/cool the Big house. I do think we will see more and more demand for the higher levels of insulation, and quite possibly an adjoining demand for "greener" methods of heating. Not because the methods are "green" but because the general population is beginning to determine that the USA will be better off without the present dependence on foreign fuel supplies regardless of any concerns for possible limited availability.

I think, and I may be wrong, but I do think I am seeing a trend towards long-lasting quality in both materials and performance. That is, the design and construction details and overall livability are beginning to take on more importance than the presence of the latest fad for color or finish.

o

White cabinets with glazing. Maple kitchens with black granite (I actually think this is timeless, but it was so overdone that it now screams 2004). Too many exterior materials (houses with stone, shingles, clapboards, etc.) on one house. Excessive gables and gratuitous bump-outs. I hope snout houses (where the house looks all garage from the front).

Some things work in some parts of the country and not in others. I think rounded corners work in the southwest, but in New England are a trend. I think textured walls and ceilings are the same.

We have one of those high ceilings, in our great room. We like it, it "makes" the room and gives the upstairs sitting room a view of the pond. I was in a friend's house yesterday and he has something similar in his house, and it was built in the late 80s or 90s. I don't consider higher ceilings to be a dating element, but I do think they may go out of style due to the heating/coolings issues, not due to style issues.

o

Well we choose to do rounded corners after seeing it in a 1950's house so not sure if that is a 2008 thing. I happen to like them as they are not nearly as scuffed up a year later like our friends square corners from similar living.

I think you need to pick neutral for permanent fixtures and then it won't scream one way or another.

As for high ceilings - in TX they've been around in every decade since the 70's. My last house built in the 70's had it, the house before from the 80's had it, and I know houses in the 90's had it as well.

o

ORB finishes for sure;

The next two suggestions scream remodeled in the 2000's instead of built in and they are

1) painted wood cabinets. It's an "easy" fix from the "dated" wood that they'll wish they left alone a decade or two down the line.

2) same goes for painted brick fireplaces. It never fails on HGTV where they zoom in on the fireplace focal point and say, hey, let's paint the brick to update the room!

Disguise-painting will be a stamp of the 2000's.

o

Another one I can think of is the arched doorways, entrances, garage doors, etc. I love the look, but am certain it will date the house (mine included).

I remember my mom mentioning about 10 years ago that the interior columns would be a short lived fad, but they are still here. How do you predict which ones will be long running and which one will pass quickly?

o

Lots of great responses and many of the things I had thought about as well.

ORB - yeah, I'm pretty bummed about this one, but it seems like no matter what finish you pick, it will be out eventually and some new and improved version of the same thing will be in.

Arched doorways - ouch! Got several of those in my house. I, too, see this in the column category. They did these in homes a hundred years ago, makes an appearance every few decades. My house isn't a 100 yrs old, so they will probably date it. (though I personally think the interior columns are on their way out).

More than wondering how long a fad will last, I wonder how to know what's the next 'in' thing? I'm not very cutting edge, so I'm keeping things simple...

o

Exterior facades with numerous useless gables gratuitously decorating them like pimples do a teenager's face will hopefully be "out" in the next building cycle. I'm all for an "interesting" elevation, but all to often these gables and roof change lines have nothing to do with making the interior space more usable and have a great deal to do with increasing the expense of a build without any direct benefit whatsoever to the occupant.

o

In our part of the country, high ceilings, 10-11', have been part of the culture for centuries and here to stay. Not so sure about the double ceiling heights with big open balcony over looking family rooms, etc. It seems every new 1 1/2 or 2 story house has one, and that's never a good sign.
I think enduring, historical designs are ageless--- colonial, Georgian, craftsman, etc. I think the over done french styles with their extreme pinched roof lines are already on their way out. Also the European style with way too many soaring gables. Sometimes styles are taken to the extreme so that they become caricatures of the styles themselves.
I agree that white glazed cabinets are singing their swan song.
I love the look of ORB but probably won't use it in my new house.
I think granite has been over used and new custom homes will feature it less.

o

Frankly, I'm a little concerned about my shaker style maple cabinets. I love them but they already look a little dated to me. I also feel like my giant kitchen island might be too much.

I have several arched faucets - I love them but I can imagine that 10 years down the road, they will be out.

By switching out some of the less expensive items, you can update a house without breaking the bank. Stay neutral with the big things (bathtubs and tile) and go trendy with the little things.

o

In 1976 we remodeled a 1930 cottage into a year-round home. My new kitchen had dark cabinets and white countertops (also kitchen carpeting, but we won't go there. That was a short-lived thing!!). Anyway, I had those dark cabinets for 25 years and was absolutely sick and tired of the look. When we tore down that house and rebuilt, I went with cream painted cabs with a glaze. My new house will have the same.

Point is: I had that dark kitchen so long that it came back into style. I'm still tired of it, though, and even if my painted cabinets are on their way out, maybe I'll live long enough to see them come back. If not, I'll enjoy every minute of them, "in" or "out." I'd rather have bisque appliances, but, sadly, I'm ending up with SS because they're available, and bisque, which was easy to find in 2001, is not on today's radar. The accent tile I used in that house, I'd kill for -- but alas, not available now. Frustrating.

Much of what we see/do is dictated by "someone" who wants us to feel that we must throw out what we have and get the latest/newest/most in thing.

Interesting question -- we've tried to keep away from things that will be trendy, but have fallen into a few -- vessel sinks, for one. I suspect they'll be one of those "screamers."

o

my vote for 2000 trendy items include:
stainless steel appliances
farmhouse style sinks
industrial style kitchen faucets
commercial size ranges that never get used
stained cement floors
full body spray showers

...or maybe its just that these are the currently popular items that I personally most dislike. LOL!

o

I will refute some of these:

Stainless steel has far surpassed "trend" - I would say it is the new standard - and it will stay that way - it is timeless and works well with any type of wood or paint.

White kitchens - again, they have been around 100yrs and they will always be in style. It is by far the "safest" color choice for cabinets.

2story rooms - I would agree somewhat with this - but think it is often a result of many realizing it is valuable space that could be used better.

I love 10ft cielings - but folks need to be careful with them - putting standard size doors on 10ft walls can look odd - you often need to go up to 8ft doors. Same w/ cabinets - they need to be extended up. We see a lot of great rooms in this area with 10, 11 or 12ft cielings - provides just enough height to give it a great feel - but not so much as to feel cold and cavernous.

I do agree that the basic granite colors will likely be a casualty.

Positives out of the 2000-2008 period of home building is that it saw the return to more "natural" tones/products (ie, stone, wood, etc). I dont think we will see the huge design swings we did in the 70s, 80's when plastics, laminates and very "manufactured" products dominated.

o

Ouch! Farmhouse sink? Had it on the new house list. I'll proceed with caution.
I too think there are new positives that will endure like green building and natural products. The Internet has made a huge difference in building, at least for home owner's like me. Material options and research are literally at finger tips. And wonderful forums like this are priceless. I appreciate all of you for sharing experiences and expertise.

o

thanks cookpr. i was afraid i was the only sane one in the bunch. sorry folks, stainless appliances: classic. farmhouse sinks: classic. white kitchens: classic.

granite? no thanks.

o

Stained concrete floors and french country designed homes IMO.

o

I don't think white cabinets and farmhouse sinks will ever go out of style. I've been wanting a white kitchen for 25 years, when it wasn't in style. And I'm now getting it, along with a farmhouse sink. The "country" style never goes out of style, especially for those of us who live in the country. lol I also have lived with a dark kitchen and I never want to go back.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but I think open floor plans will bite the dust. They simply aren't practical and it's hard to rearrange furniture.

o

Some of you are just picking things that are popular right now. Many of the things listed here are very functional like the farmhouse sink. Functional things tend to become classics. Colors, on the other hand, tend to by very trendy and would be the thing I would watch for most.

o

Rounded corners have been around forever and aren't going anywhere. They are more popular in certain areas of the U.S. and imo, look better than squared off edges on openings...such as arches, which have also been around forever.

8 foot ceilings make me feel like I'm in a box. I don't care for a two story entry in my home (wasted space) but my parents have one and it suits their 24yo home.

Whenever anyone asks "what is trendy" etc the posts all boil down to personal opinion. I would like to not see any more houses built with palladian windows over the front door, too many gables give me a headache. White kitchens and farm sinks are as classic as apple pie and not going anywhere.

fwiw, we have an open kitchen to great room and love it. The great room and bedroom have cathedral ceilings, but we have tons of cedar beams inside and outside and designed our kitchen to have furniture quality/style cabinetry so that it doesn't scream kitchen. If the floor plan is laid out correctly and a decent size, it's not hard to arrange the furniture - but I can see how it would be hard to arrange in a much smaller scale.

I hate to say ivory travertine in an irregular pattern will scream 2000's since I have used it in our home, but it fits the house and is so easy to keep clean.

o

I agree with kellyeng that functional things and classic styles bear the test of time well. Arched, single-handle, pull-out kitchen faucets are functional improvements, IMO.

I hope to see fewer houses that are oversized for their settings, or that have 'facades' (brick only on the front elevation), or that have function-free bits and pieces like dormers-to-nowhere and railings-but-no-useable-balconies, or that are a mixture of so many styles that my late aunt would pronounce them 'Fatherless French'.

The double-height entry tower (exterior and interior) looks dated to me, but that may have ended before 2000 along with small rooms made double height to disguise their smallness. The huge whirlpool tub is over; maybe the huge shower with a zillion heads will be gone soon -- expensive to build, run, maintain, and how much time do you spend there? Not fond of catwalk two-story houses.

I'm old enough to have torn out a stainless steel kitchen, SS countertops, St. Charles steel cabinets and all. Goodbye 'gray'.

I'd forgotten about 'decorative' interior columns -- the ones with no function. 'Bye-bye to those along with heavy window 'treatments'.

Aging Boomers may put paid to hard flooring materials, especially in kitchens. I never 'got' stained concrete, but I don't live in a hot climate.

I'd like to say, "Hello!" to some things, like solar panels that look like roofing and don't require a room full of storage batteries, and smaller garages for smaller vehicles that don't pollute. (Weird to see homes that are half garage space.)

o

Id' say that our cathedral ceiling'd, loft, cut up roof lines, open floor plan with all it's components and finishes, (if we live long enough to finish it), will never go out of style for us. It's my wifes baby concerning colors, finishes, designs, etc, while i have been more concerned with building as green as possible and as energy efficient for our area, (the stuff you dont see). We have made many changes including adding another roofline in order to give us more space. Whoever ends up with it after we are gone can change it to suit their needs. It's called remodeling!

o

I have a couple cents to throw in here.

Like Chisue, I have to believe the arched faucets are here to stay. They simply aid usability of a conventional sink. Hard to figure it'd be dated.

I do wonder about some of the rock finishes on the exterior. I tore some off of an old farmhouse that had been added in the 70's. While I demoed, it made me wonder how many homes would look equally dated in a decade or two.

Lastly, I wonder how long the front entries will continue to be either understated or overstated. It just seems like we're not doing much to welcome people into our homes. Then again, even my dear, departed grandmother (who designed her own home) ended up with everyone entering the rear of the house in the small covered porch despite having a 10'square cement porch in the front of her cape cod style home.

o

There is one thing I think may scream "2000s" - metal staircase balusters. While I have seem many gorgeous staircases that use them, I can't help remembering the white balusters of the 70's. The recent models are much lovelier but are definitely a 2000s trend.

o

Wow - this forum is great. I am going to be building soon a house that I designed and I have some of these trends that I chose because I liked them. I will have the rounded corners and knockdown texture, 9' ceilings, and dormers on the roof that go nowhere (because I like the country look). I am having an all white kitchen with granite and stainless steel, because what else do I choose? I hate black appliances and I think white would look washed. I am choosing granite because I can't afford quartz and because I think laminate looks nice, but won't hold up to my kids. I have only 3 small arched doorways so that is okay, no whirlpool tub cuz they are impossible to keep clean.

Are white kitchens going to stay in style??

What countertops are safe to go with??

o

I think white cabinets are classic but the style of the cabinets can date. I think it's too early to know about stainless, I can see it sticking around a while but I can also see it being dated in 15 years.

I think vessel sinks will be dated in 10 or 15 years. Also nickel hardwear is very trendy and could be dated.

o

I am new to this forum and fully enjoy it. It's funny that everyone seems to be contradicting what the passing trends will be. We will be pouring our concrete slab shortly for our contemporay house. Concrete floors trendy, I do not think so. I could be wrong, but what could be more "green" than to use your slab as your flooring? I live in the desert and concrete floors help keep the house cool. The only thing I agree on would be vessels sinks, which I think are out already. I would like to add to the trendy list: Tuscany style homes. Unless antique/reclaimed flooring, doors, etc were used, then they just look like a cheap replica.

o

These can't last forever:
"hand-scraped" hardwood floors

apron front sinks (very charming though)

subway tile (I was over this trend on the second day)

vessel sinks

monotone carpeting with a sculptured design (usually seen in upscale homes with finished walkouts in this area)

home theaters with no other function (especially if it has risers)

I also agree with ORB, interior columns and those showers with 1000 jets.

o

The number one trend that will go out of style is the stainless appliance kick. Reminds me of a school cafeteria kitchen every time I see them in a house.

We recently bought an appliance package for the build and the salesman indicated they are already seeing more and more people going back to the white, black, and almond.

A lot of the other items people mention seem to be regional. White cabinets = barf.

Granite, assuming you have a standard color will be timeless.

o

In our new home, we do not have a white kitchen, but, I cannot imagine white kitchens ever going out of style. Not everyone likes wood stained kitchens, and some people just like the light and bright look of white kitchens. I do think a certain style of white kitchen is overdone. But, white kitchens can be a number of styles.

Stainless steel appliances add some brightness to wood-stained kitchens and also can update an all-white kitchen. I don't think SS will go out completely. I mean, people thought that about leopard print a few years back. Just a little here and there look great, not a whole room full of it.

o

My bets are on:

- Oil rubbed bronze. IMO, it's a great look, but one that doesn't really wear well, so we'll have a bunch of trashy-looking ORB in a very few years, leaving people wondering what they were thinking.

- Cultured stone. Again, when it was rare, I thought it looked good. But too many people using the same patterns and some sloppy 'stonework' have resulted in a bunch of tacky-looking jobs. And seeing a cultured-stone balcony hanging on a stucco house utterly changed my view of the material. Just SO wrong... The color is too uniform, too predictable. It just doesn't look natural anymore.

- Tumbled marble and travertine backsplashes. They're very nice really, but ENOUGH ALREADY! Overdone is a collosal understatement.

- Vessel and farm sinks. Again, they're really nice; they're just overdone. We need a five-year moratorium, and then swear to bring them back only where they belong.

- Glass tile. Perfect in some settings. But WRONG in many others, and right now, it's being used in many other settings where it's wrong, Wrong, WRONG!

- Multiple cabinet finishes in the kitchen and varying cabinet heights and depths without any rationale behind the different finishes and sizes. The whole idea was to achieve an unfitted 'furniture' look. But without a furniture look, the whole design doesn't make any sense.

- Craftsman-light. You know - that little touch of Craftsman on a 1970's ranch? I suspect that'll go the way of 'Colonial-light' and 'French Country-light' and 'faux Old World' -- essentially, any 'skim coat' of current fashion over incompatible bones.

o

for some reason i don't think there's a chance in hell of seeing stainless appliances displayed beside their '70s brown and avacado predecessors at the smithsonian. as for that "copper" finish that's on the market today, i give it another two years at best.

while i think this is an interesting thread i'm not very mindful of "trends". i'm old enough and experienced enough (art director) to know what my tastes are. while they evolve they don't really change drastically.

and if anyone here is ever accused of having any part of their home appear "dated" just wait another six months and call it retro.

o

Oh dear....after reading these posts I started to doubt the things I like and want in my new house.

Trendy, Schmendy. I've waited a long time to build the house of my dreams. As hard as I try to think about what will be timeless, most things will become dated....but in my opinion that is ok. I grew up with the orange and olive colors and shag carpet in my parents' house. I remember mauve and country blue in my mom's updated living room. Now she has navy and red Americana themes......Sigh......I'm sure my children will be able to recite the trends they live through, too.

Look how quickly clothes, shoes, music, and cars go in and out of style.

Neutral, quality items in a house will live on. A new coat of paint and new pillows for the furniture can freshen up any room.

Ugh....the sectional couch I bought last summer....I already think it is dated. I hate it, but at least is a solid color so I can add accents elsewhere.

There are lots of houses.....but what makes it our HOME is what makes us all unique.

I'm just going to have fun and make my house a comfortable home for my family with the things I enjoy today. If nothing else, it will give my kids great stories to tell their kids some day about mom's decorating. LOL I'm sticking with my open floor plan ranch house with hardwood floors, granite counters, off-white maple cabinets with black island, 10 ft. ceilings, and whatever else I can afford and have always wanted.

I hope you all have fun.

o

I agree that the faux Craftsman look will pass, and I'm afraid that the cottage look I like will pass, too. A true Craftsman home will endure, but the cost would be prohibitive. The same goes for just about any authentic style. The house I designed will be a true cottage in style and size, and I'm going to go a few steps further than throwing bead board all over everything. Our kitchen will be white, which is the only way I know of to keep it as bright and big as possible. It's also easier for me to build! We're going to build what we want, and not worry about trends or re-sale value. Our house will be so small that the value will be in the land anyhow. There are a lot of 'must-haves' that I never cared for- ORB, granite, SS appliances, 2 story foyers and family rooms, overly complicated elevations, etc., etc. Give me a simple, timeless design any time.

o

I know area granite will never go out of style. We're building a new colonial and having granite steps placed on both the front and rear. No PT wood for me anymore.

So what do you think will last longer, the granite or the vinyl siding? LOL.

There seems be a trend towards Hardi type siding that some people will always want and is here to stay. I didn't want the expense or future painting requirements but I can see the advantages down the road of using the paintable siding. Allows people to follow color trends. Colors more than anything else, are what seem to be trends. Just look a paint color charts and they actually have palettes based on time periods......

One thing that I have found to be timeless is full federal/colonial trim around the exterior window casings. It still looks good on 100 year old houses and so that's what we've added.

If you plan to be in your house for many years, just make it they way you want it.

o

Regarding the SS appliances, my wife just mentioned that she's glad her kitchen appliances will no longer look just like the one's behind the counter at Wendy's. LOL

o

This is a ridiculous thread. What do any of you know about trends and how they start and how they finish? There are professionals who's jobs are to figure this stuff out and they even have a difficult time doing it.

This thread is simply a bunch of uneducated conjecture and people bagging on what they don't like. So anyone looking at this thread and starting to sweat about whether or not your house is going to be dated in a year, please just build the house you want with the materials you like and it will be beautiful for years to come.

o

Very well stated, Kellyeng!

o

OP specifically asked "what would you GWers consider to be the current building equivalent to stirrup pants and bell bottoms?" So yes, everything written is CONJECTURE and, I suppose, is probably based on what the particular poster does or does not like. In fact I admitted as much in my post.

That said however, there are only two ways the so-called "professionals who's jobs are to figure this stuff out..." can possibly do it:

1) They can just categorically DECIDE that something is out, deem it to be so and convince all the manufacturers to quit making it so that even if a lot of people out there still really like that particular style, they can't find it to buy it anymore.

OR

2) They can take polls and listen to what people out in the hinterlands are saying that they are tired of and what they love and consider "classic".

My personal suspicion is that the trend arbiters (Kellyeng's "professionals") pretty much do it by route #1 and couldn't care less what real people like you and me think. In fact I think they deliberately deem "out" whatever has proven to be of long standing popularity just so they can then more easily market whatever it is that they've decided is now "in".

But on the off chance that the trend arbiters really do listen to what real people are saying, then this thread is exactly the kind of thing they will be listening to. So, while any given poster's opinion, by itself, wouldn't mean squat, if a lot of people on this thread are saying that they personally are tired of a given fashion, then maybe that particular fashion really is past its peak.

All that said, I totally agree with you that ultimately everyone should build the house they like and not worry about the "trends." Of course that can be hard to do when the trendsetters deem that something you love is OUT (like the antique brass fixtures I personally adore) so that you're forced to select something that is currently IN (like the ORB kitchen faucet I eventually went with even tho I agree that ORB is a trend on its way out).

o

"This is a ridiculous thread."

The OP had a right to ask what they want... so why should you knock it?
If you don't like the question, don't reply.

They wanted the opinions of people on this board, and that is what they got.

o

I wasn't knocking the OP, just a lot of the responses. As far as, "If you don't like the question, don't reply." Maybe you should take your own advise.

The OP was looking for ideas about "trends" not our current personal tastes. She was asking us to be forward thinking in our responses, not what we currently think is "barf."

As to the professionals, they are the marketing people who work for companies that provide us with all of our goodies. They better damn well be trying to figure out what the population is going to want in the future to be competitive in their respective industries.

o

Wish I could agree that the marketing people are "trying to figure out what the population is going to want in the future...." Unfortunately I've become pretty jaded about the whole marketing thing to the point where I'm pretty sure the process puts the cart before the horse. In other words, the professionals come up with something "new" and then convince us (via marketing) that their newest thing is just the thing we want. As for "competitive in their respective industries," once somebody comes up with something "new" and successfully markets it, the rest of manufacturers pretty much just copy them.

o

Bevangel, have you ever worked in R&D?

I have, and I couldn't disagree with you more.

o

"As far as, "If you don't like the question, don't reply." Maybe you should take your own advise."

If you bother to look... I did take my own advice.
I did not reply to the OP.

o

Eeeekk!! Ok, didn't mean to cause this.

I have disagreed with many of the posters about what they view as 'trendy', and I agree with kellyeng about alot of those answers being skewed by people's preferences. But I also agree with bevangel about how she views the marketing process - at least for some companies.

My main concern is not what do you like or dislike - there is a difference in 'trendy' and 'popular'. For example: toile - made a comeback a few years ago, it's a classic pattern, but was popular again (which almost always translates into overly done). OTOH, peach hexagon sinks were trendy - and I just can't EVER see that being cool again.

I'm relatively young (31), so I haven't seen alot of things come and go and come back. To me, if it does come and go and come back, that would make it more in the popular category than a trend. Meaning, it's a classic look that ebbs and flows into popularity, but overall, is timeless (toile). To me the white kitchen fits here. It ebbs and flows as the 'in' thing, but to me, I could never see a classic white kitchen as trendy (unless you do thermofoil, which IMO is).

Obviously we all prefer different things *insert cheesy statement about how that's what makes America so great*. How horrible if every girl at the prom was wearing your dress? However, even if I fall in love with a peach taffeta hoop dress with puffy sleeves and uber ruffles, everyone knows I would look ridiculous (even if it is MY prom). But even saying that, there are things that we are doing in our home that we know will stamp it - ORB, wrought iron ballusters, granite - but we don't care cause those are things we like that can be changed later when we like something else better.

Thank you guys so much for your input. You've given me some new ideas, made me think about others, cemented certain thoughts, and eliminated others altogether.

Now, where are those dye-able lace pumps with bows on the toes?

o

"Now, where are those dye-able lace pumps with bows on the toes?" --- in my closet, three pairs! Including one in peach that would be purrrfect with that peach taffeta hoop dress with puffly sleeves and uber ruffles. LOL!

o

I'm thinking one of the posters has a white kitchen with SS appliances.... White kitchens were big in NC in the late 90s and now a lot of people have gone away from them. SS appliances are not going to be popular long term. I can tell you that the person we got our appliances from we've known for 20 years and does it for a living at a family run business. He's already had many comments from people who previously had SS and now want black or white. SS is still popular today but my CONJECTURE is the pendulum is already swinging the other way with appliance color/finish choices.

Sorry if you don't like my opinion. I would like onion rings instead of fries please :)

o

umm, actually, i used to BE one of those professionals. working in fashion i'd sit behind a desk with ten other fashionistas and "predict" the next trends. it's really great, ridiculous work if you can get it.

o

Far from being in the "know" about trends, I am the opposite; a gullible consumer!! In all my years of creating our homes, I know nothing about style, trends, etc.

But I do see my own personal 'trend', (happens every time):

I see something new and unsual (to me, duh, like 'winter white kitchen geese with blue bows'...) So that's my new theme, I'm dying to put it together. But before I get far, they turn up everywhere!! (lucky me). Then 2 years later, they are in my yard sale, along with the rest of the neighborhood! Never fails. (How do you find something classic? Unique? Timeless? I certainly don't know).

I love this thread, I can see so many different ideas, rulemakers, rulebreakers and risk takers. It's educational. It is refining itself with each post. Thought provoking, spurring me to think outside the box (or just find the box, lol).

o

umm, I actually used to BE one of those professionals too. My team worked tirelessly trying to predict what the consumer wanted next based on sales data, surveys, focus groups, etc. I did NOT work in the fashion industry.

nc_lawn_nut, if you are referring to me then no I don't have white cabinets.

The first time I read this same kind of thread was five years ago when I first joined GW. Every now and then it pops up again and the same predictions and anecdotal evidence are given. Five years later and I am still waiting for those stainless steel appliances to go out of style.

o

if anyone here is ever accused of having any part of their home appear "dated" just wait another six months and call it retro.

How true!

After Mom passed away this year, we were looking at a lot of family photos and crystal-clear slides from the '50s, including inside shots of a home full of brand new Danish modern furniture. My first thought was "how trendy"! The '50s are back.

As an infill luxury builder, I can date local homes pretty accurately--from the same spec pink brick everyone used in the late '80s-'95 to the boring beige EIFS and overly elaborate "mouldings" of 2000+. I hardly bother to visit competitors anymore. Interiors are all the same:"wrought steel" (posing as wrought iron) balusters, beige limestone everywhere, wood cabinety with an island a different colour, Brazilian cherry flooring, thickly-carpeted basements stinking from mould before the home is even sold. Worst dating, I hope: massive MB and ensuite with three tiny subsidiary bedrooms.

o

You have to know by the title that you need to turn your sensitivity level wayyyy down. There are certainly going to be various reactions to each of our surroundings, all of which are different.

I'm sure each of us have a feature that's been mentioned already. That's just the way it works.

I do have to say, though...

White cabinetry trendy? Not a chance. Natural maple on the other hand, (which I have) that could very well be a trendy thing.

2-Story foyers? Foyers with open staircases have been built for centuries. Trendy? Hardly.

2-story great rooms? Here in southeast Michigan we had seen lots of simple 2 story and tri-level homes with family rooms built on slabs. These rooms were usually a step or two down and is when we began to see living spaces moving closer to and open to the kitchen. In the mid 80's these wings on slabs gave way to 2-story great rooms. They continue to be popular in the suburban areas. (Until the market froze here anyway.) So, 20+ years and slowed only by the economy, I really don't know how we could call that a trend of the 2000's either.

o

There is a difference between something being dated (or datable, meaning you can figure out what year it was put in) vs. something that isn't currently trendy. White kitchens may not always be the current trend but that doesn't mean it dated either. Now, if those cabinets have arched tops and partial overlay doors, yes, dated. I think glazing is something that will go away (hope, hope). I never understood the desire to have cabinets look like they have greasy dirt imbedded in the grooves.

But I really don't think there is any way to prevent this. Not that long ago partial overlay doors were the standard, there really was no other choice. If you get them now you are sort of inviting a dated look, but 10 years ago you had no way of knowing that would happen.

o

I can say that we're building what we want. This will be house #4, and the 3rd new build. Our house sizes range from 1700 to 2600 sq ft. Many of the features people have listed above have been in one of our houses.
I can tell you that marketing folks are only predicting. That's all they can do. There are comic strips filled with jokes about marketing blunders ..... just some food for thought. New Coke anyone? All it takes is a few Martha "The Felon" Stewart episodes or magazine articles and a new trend is born. If it keeps the economy going, I'm all for it.

If anyone is concerned about what's trendy and what's not, I'd be more concerned about what other houses in your area and n'hood are like. Particuraly those in a comparable price range. If all the houses in the area have a pool and brick fascade, guess what my house would have?

Based on the homes we've previously owned, we're making choices today based on how we live in the house and being mindful of any potential resale points. We like to read these posts for ideas as some people have some great innovative thinking. There are folks on this board who are a little thinned skinned for sure. It's all opinion. I can say that having sold three houses, we have some experience on what we wasted money on and what we didn't when it came time to sell. It doesn't line up with many of the magical 'sell this house' shows would lead you to believe either.

Bear in mind that many items that have been referenced in these posts are extremely regional. There are very few white kitchens in the area we live in (Coastal Maine). Do an MLS search and find out for yourself. We looked at literally a couple thousand MLS listings (ME, NH, MA, VT) to help us make our choices. Perhaps in your area things are different.

Be open minded. Everyone's litmus test is not calibrated to the same scale.

o

(How do you find something classic? Unique? Timeless? I certainly don't know).

Don't ever shop mass production stores (Stein Mart, Target, Home Goods, Macys, etc) for anything other than towels and dishes. Use family photos, family mementos, shop antique stores, consignment shops and estate sales. Ebay! Buy small items on trips (as long as we're not talking Florida with the kitchy seashel) or buy larger items and ship them home.

o

Allison, Thanks for the tip, clipping it now.

o

I think this is a great thread. Mostly because it's filled with advice from many people who actually "think" about these decisions before or during ( and even after) their build.

I honestly cannot tell you 'exactly' how the choices made in our home came about. I can tell you I do know what I want and have walked through hundreds of homes- usually custom luxury parade of homes types- to help define what I did or didn't want. I don't think I ever walked around and said "I don't want this or I do want that". Eventually when my choices were made though, I did find myself pulling away from some things instinctively I had previous thought I liked.

My own mantra is - I don't buy something unless it's something I would want my great grandchildren to have. Of course that doesn't apply to everything but with decorating and home design it gives you some direction. It also reduces the clutter!

I also go back and forth between my home being a shelter and haven for my family or an expression of my tastea/my hobby etc. The former usually wins. That means the items and finishes we have picked are to make us happy, not to impress anyone else.

I have been in some very "dated" homes - and I wouldn't change a thing. I have a friend who owns a gorgeous VA horse country historic farm. We have spent a lot of time there- don't think it's been truly updated since the early 50s'. It was classicly decorated then and it still works- even if it is a bit worn. It's worn with living and that is truly attractive.

o

Here's another one, although it's an appliance. The front loader washers and dryers that are a 100 feet tall. lol. We're doing a major build-on and a remodel right now and I have the option of buying a new w/d. People keep asking me if I'm going to get the front loading ones. Heck no. I've read more problems they have, and besides, they're an eyesore. Pretty colors, but an eyesore unless you have a REALLY big UR. Which I'll have, but I still won't buy them. How many toes did I just step on? lol

I also love this topic. It's just personal tastes is all. I still say the open floor plan will die out, or include one more wall. :)

o

I laughed all of the way through this thread...great entertainment value. It's something I've been thinking on also. My vote is for cut-up roofs and concrete "stone" to scream "2000's. Neutrals such as limestone, white cabinets, stainless steel will still be desirable. I think natural materials will always have a fan base. That said, I hope that they offer a dark red kitchenaid fridge by the time we're ready for our next appliances...fun! And they wear out after 10 years, so buy another.
The thing I've always hated is houses that aren't drawing from a classical style base. They're a mish-mash of current trends. And houses that are in the wrong place, like English Tudor in Southern CA. Log homes are great, French if they have authentic details, country vernacular, Santa Barbara, New England, Southern ; anything that's consistently drawing from a regional vernacular that makes sense with the environment. Contemporary homes that are creating a new style base are fantastic, although I could never get DH to agree. Just look at the current appeal of well done 50's houses...it's not the year it is the consistency and the quality. I have to say that I'm a sucker for any house with good construction, good "bones", and an eccentric personal touch such as an entry floor made from 40 different tile samples.

o

I like your post, ponydoc. DH always teases me that what I want doesn't exist - yet. When going through my favorite local antique stores, if someone asks if I'm looking for something my usual reply is "not really" or "I'll know it when I see it." Some things just call out to me and those are the things that come home. I don't buy just to fill a space or impress. I want to love everything or have nothing.

My 23 yo DS said something negative the other day about our home. My question to him was did he look at the things in the house, because the majority of the furniture and accessories have been in our home(s) for the past 25 years! One of the things I liked about our move from our family home of 20+ years to our empty nester retreat was so many of our pieces we've had and loved worked here as well. Even if in different rooms. I think that says something about a piece - if it can be used in a variety of places in a home, rather than only one spot.

o

Re: front load washing machines. They are not decorating, they are a purely functional item. Front loaders use less water, wash better, and are more gentle on clothes. Criticizing a washer or dryer for it's looks is, to me, like criticizing a boiler.

o

"Even if in different rooms. I think that says something about a piece - if it can be used in a variety of places in a home, rather than only one spot.

That's so true, Allison! My husband used to gripe at my preference for smaller multipurpose furniture,(I'm rather short, so it just works for me) but after living in a furnished apartment and house with over sized and too much furniture he's gained new appreciation for being able to re combine what we have into a multitude of different arrangements and rooms.

o

I think there are some things that remain timeless. SS has been around before I was born, not real popular or affordable, but it was around and in the houes of those who could afford it. I don't think it will ever go out of style. I don't think shaker cabinets will ever go out of style as they are also timeless and can be dressed up or down with knobs and surrounding decor. I don't think Granite is every going to go out of style because of many factors, one being it's durability and two, the fact that the prices are reasonable when compared to other not so durable counters.

I have never been one to follow trends either in decor or dress. I buy things that are classic in style. It's up to you to decide if you want to stick with what will work now and in 20 years or go trendy. If you have quality timeless pieces they can always be decorated, repainted, restained, etc. to last a lifetime. I do realize not everyone loves antiques as I do, but they have been around 100 + years and will be in style for some forever. I do think certain colors can be trendy and style of drapes, but as far as furniture and architecture there is a lot to chose from that will stay timeless.

I love looking inside others homes and that's why I frequent Rate My Space and realtor web pages to get a look at how others decorate. I'm sorry to say a vast majority of people do not update their homes. I'm talking about having the same orange carpet from the 60's and fake wood paneling. I think it is easy for people to get comfortable in their home and not realize it's gone out of style. I think a house should be updated at least every 10 years if not sooner.

Someone mentioned 10ft. ceilings with 8 ft. doors. I think that is a trend. We have 10ft. ceilings with regular sized doors and opted to put transoms on the interior, back and side exit doors. The front door is 8ft. and looks approrpriate out front. Transoms are something else that will never go out of style here in the South.

allison0704, you just spoke for me. If I don't love it, I don't buy it. That's why I doubt if I'll live to fully decorate my new house. It will take me another lifetime to find what I really love for the house. LOL

o

I think a house should be updated at least every 10 years if not sooner.

what

o

Allison and brutuses

When my antiquing friend and I go "out and about" we always are looking for that one piece we cannot live without. Although we rarely find it.... sometimes we do.

Here's a pic of one of my "finds". I could have sold this thing 10 times over before we even left the antique show! Worn yes, dated never!

Photobucket

o

Love it, ponydoc.

I think a house should be updated at least every 10 years if not sooner.

what?

I would like to see this answered also - what exactly do you think needs updated at least every ten years?

Nice to see you, Greenbank. Did you ever build? Tell the Mrs hello.

o

Where you been, Greenbank?

o

We have been working for a while on a new build after having raised our children in a home built in the 1950's. It probably was a top of the line colonial for its time but very small compared to other homes in our neighborhood---the ones with 2 story foyers and great rooms. When we started planning for the new build my grown up daughter begged me not to do the 2 story extravaganza. She told me that all of her friends always wanted to come to our house because it was so comfortable and "homey." I had to laugh about this because I had always felt our house was so insignificant compared to the others around us. In any event, the new house has 10' ceilings on the first floor and 9' on the second floor. We've tried to be mindful of a good scale for living space and keep the little nooks and crannies that children especially will find interesting or just their size. This is what I think is non-trendy, something that makes you feel happy or cheerful or safe and comforted. Hope this helps.

o

Hmmmm, what will be branded as dated to the early 2000s? I believe anything that's not energy efficient will be. Anything overly large or frilly, especially if the underlying construction is shabby. Actually I think many of the poorly built houses will end up torn down and if they are too large for one family to maintain they could become apartments or condos. As for finishes and "looks," I think stainless steel could soon look dated, especially if it's the type you can see fingerprints on. Any kind of material that doesn't stand the test of time will be seen as dated, a mistake of the building industry or of buyers. Could include various laminate floorings if they don't hold up.

I don't believe a house should be updated in a major way every 10 years. Nothing wrong w/replacing appliances since that's about how long they last anyway, or repainting, etc. But ripping out functionally sound items IMO is wasteful and waste may be seen as outdated in the near future.

What will endure will be solid construction that CAN be updated when necessary, because the underlying structure will still be in fine shape. Just as people now covet old houses that are sound and that can be refurbished.

o

ponydoc, that thing is hideous. LOL I don't like anything made with animal parts so you'll have to excuse me.

Do most people not update their decor/paint every ten years, maybe sooner? I do. I'm not talking about major renovations or replacing furniture or appliances.

o

This is so fun, reading all these opinions!! We built a new home in a suburb of Dallas and moved in this past September so I have not had time to browse or post here for over a year!! Wow, my home will SCREAM 2000's!!! But I LOVE it so much.

I do think trends and styles are totally different depending on what area or state you live in. Down here in the Dallas area, Old World is STILL big, believe it or not. My home is more French Country, not as dark or overpowering as Old World. I have all the trendy things talked about above, ORB door handles, and faucets, SS range and microwave, painted kitchen cabinets with dark glaze on them to make them look old and dirty (I love them!!!), with a dark stained island to boot!! And tons of granite on countertops. I mixed in my classic brass and crystal dining room chandelier by hanging it over our master bed and it looks awesome. I have a lot of ornate moldings but not too ornate. Painted cream moldings and trim in the formal rooms and stained knotty pine trim in the kitchen and family room. Someone said you have to build according to your neighborhood as well as the area you live in, and that is what we did. We will not be here forever so we had to also do things for resale, like the huge ss slide in range and 2 dishwashwers!!! (it is crazy). But we are happy and that is what matters!!

I am so glad I have time to read this forum again. I learned soooo much from this forum, esp. about kitchens and baths. Good luck to eveyone who is about to build. Do what makes you happy!

Ginny

PS We do have one fake dormer on the roof!!! My architect would not draw it on, I had to have the framer add it for me!! Dallas probably has more of this trendy overdone stuff than a lot of places. It looks good, though. (Dallas is just so,,,, Dallas.)

o

In my previous post, I was talking about my brass and crystal dining room chandelier that I took from my previous home. I took 4 chandeliers out of that home and put them in our new home. Replaced them with inexpensive new chandeliers from a local lighting store. We had to store them until it was time to install them. We did not want to show the previous home (for sale ) with our good chandeliers still in it. Realtor said to take them out first.

ginny

o

brutuses
LOL, I have been poked by a few horns my career! Seeing them attached to a footstool rather than pointing at me makes me smile! LOL

o

I was glad to find this thread, as my husband and I are in the early stages of building our first (and hopefully last) custom home. I am taking these comments somewhat with a grain of salt but am distressed to hear all the negative comments about ORB. What is the most timeless color of fixtures you should get, then? Chrome? I feel like brushed nickel is dated, as is brass, obviously. ORB just looks nice and old, which is the the style of house we're building. Just curious. Thanks!

o

I agree, Killilou3, for the most part; Chrome and brass don't belong in older homes, imo, but I don't think BN is dated. It's not something you see in homes in my area. ORB, copper or black would be my choices.

o

I should clarify and maybe need some clarification from others. In our new house, we're considering using ORB door hardware AND plumbing fixtures. Although we'll have black countertops, so brushed nickel faucets really would look better. Anyway, when people said ORB was dated, did they mean plumbing or door hardware (or both)?

o

I am sure my home has one gable too many but my architectural inexperience went with this look. Oh well live and learn. We just started framing and I am also sure (like kellilou3) I will second guess myself on numerous things between now and finished product- INCLUDING hardware finish, arrrgh...
I want both old and classic is that possible?

o

I'm sure I've made hundreds of mistakes in choosing during this whole process. Perhaps we should have hired a designer - oh well. We'll have ORB door hardware and some of the baths are ORB. My poor daughters' bath is doomed to be dated before we live in the house (I picked satin nickel, LOL). oops.

I'm done with agonizing....Happy New Year everyone!

o

I disagree that "brass doesn't belong in older homes." Maybe the permanently shiney stuff doesn't but just about the first faucets, light fixtures, door knobs, etc. that I can ever remember seeing (in an old stick Victorian that we liven in back late 1950s) were brass with a rich golden brown patina that had developed over years of use and constant polishing.

ORB always struck me as an attempt to reproduce the old naturally aged-brass look without quite the upkeep that natural brass required.

I'm trying to build a "new old house" and my personal opinion is that there is nothing more classic for fixtures than brass but I too dislike shiney brass... so I've looked long and hard for "antique brass" for everything from light fixtures to ceiling fans to electrical outlet covers to faucets to door hardware. And, where I couldn't find antique brass, I settled for ORB but have every intention of swapping out the ORB stuff whenever I can find replacements in antique brass. My house may wind up "dated" but hopefully the date it screams won't be the 2000s. LOL!

Happy New Year to all!

o

The permanent shiny brass was what I meant. Should have been more clear. Antique brass with a nice, more brown patina...but then I guess that would be classed with ORB. lol

o

It seems that we're not talking about building trends as much as 'decorating' trends.

o

That's what I thought too, Jason.

o

bevangel, I received an email from Pottery Barn about their "new items." They have an antique brass chandelier. Thought you might be interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn - Gardner Chandelier

o

allison, thanks for posting that pottery barn chandy. i was looking at similar at 4x the price online last night! while i'm not a fan of polished brass i quite like the satin, muted gold of this particular chandy.
also have to say, i think ANYTHING can work. it just depends on how you use it really. so much is personal taste. i think a lot of the responses here are very thoughtful while others are just ...to echo bevangel, ridiculous. i won't say which ones but some finishes are classic and (sorry) here to stay. you can change anything to your liking. the single thing i wish could be outlawed is fake white/beige/brown brick. i want to knock on the door of whomever made that choice and beat them with a stick.
ponydoc: LOVE the stool. how much do you want for it?

o
craftsman style with fake stone

Here in NC all the new spec houses are craftsman wannabes with fake stone on the front and siding on 3 sides. row after row of them in huge developments.

BUT they all have hardwoods and stainless appliances!

o

will work for roses,

Same here in SC.

o

Form follows function. We choice brushed nickel because it does not show water spots -this will always work for me!

o

Since we're talking about trendy finishes and folks here are talking about brass, I was wondering what you all thought of this brass fixture. I saw it and was kind of drawn to it, but then when I saw the word "brass" I automatically thought "dated." But then, after thinking about it, I still liked it. It doesn't come in any other finishes. Would you put this in the category of dated? Just curious...

http://www.lightingdirect.com/index.cfm/page/product:display/productId/13-48/manufacturer/Corbett Lighting/categoryId/3922/finish/Aged Brass

o

my 2 cents....ss!!!!!!
if you had ever seen an autopsy, you would NEVER have ss in your home, ewee.

o

Gobruno: Loved the light. The brass looks like a work of art.

Trends shmends. Who cares. Do what you love! If you die tomorrow, someone is going to cry for you and in time, someone is just going to change what you picked to another trend. We're all a trend. It's called life. Don't sweat the small stuff...or other people's opinions.

o

Excuse my ignorance...but would somebody tell me what ORB is?

o

ORB = Oil Rubbed Bronze

o

I think it is amusing that some of the things labeled trendy have been around one way or another for almost a hundred years, like subway tiles (all over NY, not just subways but classic old houses), white kitchens (origanally modeled after fabulous old English kitchens), deep farmhouse sinks and arched faucets, all classics. As for stainless, it will never go out of professional kitchens and since a lot of people model their homes after these, I doubt it will leave entirely. There might be some other colors but they are also classic too like white and black. It might be a regional thing as in NC that people aren't buying stainless as much but look at any shelter magazine and it is still going strong, especially high end.
I think kitchens with tons of glazing are a bit dated especially if there is massive grape and rope trim. Also houses with too much stuff on the front, where are their focal points, you don't know where to look first. But if you love it you aren't going to care and you can update as needed!

o

I think that there is nothing inherently trendy about stainless appliances, white kitchens, subway tiles, ORB, rounded corners, granite counter tops, limestone floors, farmhouse sinks, multiple gabled roof lines, nickle plated fixtures, frieze carpeting, arched doorways, elaborate moldings, glazed cabinets, stone facades on the front only, etc......

But when you have a lot of those in one house, it's pretty easy to pinpoint when it was built.

Personally, I'm a bit bummed because my dream kitchen that I've had in my mind for the past 15 years is going to be trendy and then, horror of all horrors, dated before I even get to build it. White cabinets, soapstone counter tops, wood floor, glass fronted upper cabinets, farmhouse sink, lots of windows. I liked soapstone before soapstone was cool. Oh well, by the time I can actually afford to build maybe the trends will have come around to it again.

o

I have been reading all the posts about brass knobs. I am putting them in my new house! My mother-in-law's 100 year old house has brass knobs. It CT, they are pretty prevalent, though I know many new homes there are doing ORB or brushed nickel too. I think brushed nickel works in a Nantucket/shingle style, but it really reminds me of commercial knobs. ORB looks like black dots on doors to me--it draws my eye too much. So, I may be dating my house right away, but I am most comfortable with brass and I think it will make a comeback!!!! :) I am trying to mix some metals, though. I will have some brass in lighting, some black and some brushed nickel (in kitchen--kitchen knobs too). I will generally do chrome bath fixtures (and will change knobs in those bathrooms to match).

o

Like kelleg, I have brass and bronze for all my fixtures.
I used Emtek brass with the glass knobs for the doors.
I think it depends upon the quality of the brass. Solid brass is considered traditional and timeless.
It is the cheap brass-plated stuff that looks dated to me.
I purchased quite a few antique brass and bronze sconces and light fixtures and rewired them.

o

The fact that you are concerned that "built in the 2000's" will be a bad thing shows that the state of residential design is at a nadir. If you find a designer who does good contemporary work that has a freshness and relevance that won't be anything to be ashamed of in ten years, let alone twenty or fifty; that will exemplify the epoch of its construction; and have no self-conscious backward-looking-ness.
Your concerns are on solid foundations because most everything you see built these days is not going to be judged kindly by history.
Casey

o

Lsst,
Where did you get your Emtrek brass with glass door knobs - that's what we're looking for but what we've found is $100/knob.?! We're in SC.

o

rrhouse,
We ordered ours online from the Hardware Hut.It is still pricey but much less than locally.
The prices locally were very high.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emtek Brass/Glass

o

100...hootie hoo!

ok folks back to trendy..I'll leave that to you experts!

o

I am glad I stumbled across this thread! (thanks jnjmom for the orig. post!)

I think many posters are right. Some posters just listed their personal preferences/taste as classic and their peeves and trendy and dated, but I still thought that overall, the cross sampling of opinion helped me get some perspective.

I assumed that many posters are framing the conversation with respect to standard single family houses, while in NC at least, townhomes are cropping up like weeds. (many of which I'm convinced were thrown up in a hurry during the housing boom and were cheaply and 'trendily' made.)
What are there time-stamped building trends in townhouses that you would avoid? (I assume many that apply to houses also apply to townhomes.)

One potential 'time stamp' that jumped out at me when looking through the listings were arched entry ways and arched cutouts all in townhouses built in the early 2000s. In a townhouse especially, they strike me as 'time stamped'. I used to live in an old 1950s home with a gorgeous arched front door, but had no other arches entryways, and I would never call it trendy.

However, I've been avoiding those "obviously arched" entryways and cutouts in my search because regardless what I think of them personally, I think a square entry to another room or hall is- well, standard, and I have to consider eventual resell.

Some of the comments mentioned the unnecessary interior molding. I think it is so true! I've seen it in so many 'luxury apartments' but I didn't think of it, so thanks. Some townhouses do have two story and vaulted rooms, and while I personally dont mind them, I do consider the future energy costs associated with heating and cooling them down the road when I want to sell.
If you have any other townhouse time stamps (with regard to design not personal dcor) please post!
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here