Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobruno_gw

Width and depth for mudroom cubbies?

gobruno
15 years ago

What do you think is the "right" size width and depth for mudroom cubbies? Does 18 inches by 18 inches sound right? Too narrow? What are your dimensions? Also, if you have pictures of your cubbies, I'd love to see their configuration. Not sure how we should arrange the shelves on the bottom and top.

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• crescent50
    15 years ago

mommyto4boys-

your mudroom design sounds great- please post pictures when you get a chance. TIA

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Our mudroom (back hall) has 7 stalls. Each with drawer, bench area & cubby.
    It is going to be well used and I am hoping it is as useful as it is in my mind. I do love it. Our mudroom is large an also has a utility bath for initial rinse offs if needed, & laundry room. Each stall will have hook under cubby.

Here are a few pics of cubby area. One shot after primer, they will be black when paint is all done.

• megradek
    15 years ago

We will have 4 lockers and a large corner storage unit, sink and upper cab (not in drawings, that was added later!). I wish we could have gotten a little more width than 18" but due to space restrictions it was our only option.

From house
    From house
    From house

• oruboris
    15 years ago

Mine isn't done, the way I feel today it may never be.

But the point for me is to be able to hang coats and jackets on the sides as well as the back, so 18 inches would be about right, a bit wider wouldn't hurt, 16 inches would be an absolute minimum-- do-able, but just barely.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Our cubbies are in the back hall that connects the laundry room & kitchen. Across from them is the door to the garage & a 1/2 bath. I wanted to keep the walkway in the area as large as possible and opted for cubbies that are 12" deep. Even though we're not living in the house yet we use the cubbies every day. Love them!

They run the length of a 12 foot wall. The "cubes" on the ends and across the top are 18" X 12". The shoe keepers are 18" X 18" and the three middle sections are 36" wide.

They look kind of naked right now without their cushions & baskets. *blush*

• missstaceyh
    15 years ago

Thanks for these inspiration pics everyone. Beautiful! I am drooling and jealous.

Persnicketydesign- Hope you don't mind, I am sharing your pics with our designer. Perfect and just what I want. BTW-where did you get those amazing hooks?

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Feel free to share the pics! I'd be happy to take some more for you tomorrow if they would help. It's an awkward area to try to photograph and the ones that I posted aren't very good.

I got the hooks on eBay from omalleyshd...for $2.89 each!!!

ACF...I love it when you share photos of your home. It's so beautifully detailed. :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cast Iron Hooks

• sue36
    15 years ago

The upper part of mine are similar to Acountryfarm's, except I have a doublestack. My space was limited, sandwiched between the coat closet and the front wall of the house. There are 8 total cubbies, 2 high and 4 wide (they go to the ceiling). Each cubby is about 14" wide, 14" tall and 16" deep. The size was partially dictated by the size baskets I got (which are 15" deep). Below the cubbies we have a built-in bench that is open except for one support. We chose not to have something more closed (like drawers) because we like to just push shoes under there. We didn't do the vertical uprights dividing the space into 4 "lockers" because I didn't think 14" would be wide enough unless I made the bench really deep. We use the upper row of cubbies (with baskets) for hats, gloves, etc. The bottom row of cubbies has a smaller basket and holds keys, cell phone, ipod (we have outlets in the cubbies), wallet, sunglasses, etc.

The mudroom also has tall beadboard. Near one door the upper trim of the beadboard was used to hold coat hooks. We used the standard shaker style ones, all painted the same white as the beadboard.

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

acountryfarm, can you tell me the color of your paint in the mudroom? So pretty! I am in the midst of choosing all our colors...Also, if I may ask, what brand are your doors? Ok back to cubbies!

• hadley
    15 years ago

I always like the way these look before they are loaded with real-world junk. The question always on my mind, though, when I look at our old back/mud hall and all the wetness, yard and road grit, etc., is how do you keep the cubbies and lockers themselves clean and dry?

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

luckymom23- The paint color is RH's Butter. I had it color matched at SW. I really love the color, it is throughout my house. I can post a couple more pics if you want to see it with different light.

The doors are solid core Masonite doors, the model is Cheyenne.

hadley -- I don't know what the others do but we also have a bathroom in the mudroom, I am hoping that will help with keeping things cleaner & dryer. My benches & cubbies will be painted black , that should also be helpful.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Hadley...we've been much rougher on our cubbies during construction than we will ever be when we're living in the house. LOL They clean up nicely with just a swipe from a damp micro fiber cloth. I think the paint that you use has alot to do with how much scrubbing they can handle and still look good. We used SW Duration, but have also used BM Impervo for other projects. Both types have held up beautifully to the abuse that our family dishes out. :o)

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

acountryfarm, thanks! I know I've seen and liked that color before, I'll search some of your other posts. :)

• shotzy
    15 years ago

How many of you actually 'use' the bench portion of these to sit down on? It seems that would dictate the width/depth of the cubbies. We are usually getting shoes on and off so fast that i am not sure we would sit on the large benches even if we had them. For those of you that actually sit on them, what dimensions are appropriate?

• oruboris
    15 years ago

Love my bench WHEN it's clutter free enough to actually sit on. My bike shoes and some others aren't the sort you can easily get on and off without sitting.

But the bench can protrude infront of the cubby dividers-- that's the look I like best, and it gets you a bit more room. I like the seat higher than a normal chair, but they needn't be as wide.

• sue36
    15 years ago

We actually sit on our bench as does pretty much everyone that comes in and out of the house. I looked at the dimensions of the benches from Pottery Barn to get the height, and then I made it a little deeper.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

We are going to do "cubbies" of a sort, but I didn't really divide them b/c I have found that the kids' stuff overflows small "lockers." As they get older, their backpacks get really big. Then, add a coat, a jacket, a soccer bag, a bag for piano, etc. and it tends to grow. For us, I thought hooks that weren't divided into compartments would work better for us. Now, it isn't built yet, so we'll see. Good luck! I also have lots of extra hooks on a big wall for the friends' things. In my little "mudroom" now (a row of hooks with PB bench underneath), I have found my kids don't put things in drawers or baskets. I have a metal tub for shoes and that is the best I can do. I will probably have this same tub in the new house. Think about how you and your family lives. I know that I will not teach my kids to put things away, so I will try to make the new space work for them.

• Nicole Farina
    4 years ago

@mommyto4boys- do you have any pictures of your mudroom?? i love it

• cpartist
    4 years ago

You do realize this thread is 11 years old? :)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Well...cubby size sort of depends on how big and how many kids you plan to store in the cubbys...doncha think?

• Sophie
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We had a mudroom in the first house. The visual clutter kind of drove me bonkers, kind of like the open shelves in the kitchen with lots of random things on them.

Not sure what's a good alternative? Right now I am trying to hide everything inside the front closet...but it's starting to overflow, because the kids' items are becoming bigger and more complicated as they grow.

By visual clutter, I mean something like this:

Ramble House · More Info

• annylynn
    2 years ago

Is it possible to add doors?

• Brett Corbett
    2 years ago

@Sophie I'm glad you mentioned that. These cubbies seem to be a fad lately, and I like them too. But no one seems to talk about how they're open which makes for "visual clutter". I have to go back to the drawing board. I'm thinking large cabinet type doors on the front after making the locker section a little deeper. Then at least they can be closed and we can attempt to hide the stuff. At the sake of the convenience of it all of course.