Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Did you do decora or regular light switches?

threeapples
11 years ago

I'm leaning toward regular since we are not in favor of contemporary design, but I'm longing for the push button style which, unfortunately, are almost 40 dollars more per switch.

Comments (8)

• flgargoyle
    11 years ago

I like traditional switches, and we will use push buttons in public areas. A quick google search finds them as cheap as $13.95, only about $10 or so more than a regular switch. The labor should be the same. I'll probably just use toggle switches in the parts of the house no one sees anyhow.

Whatever you choose, make sure your contractor puts in a decent quality switch. You can get toggle switches for under a dollar, but they don't last long, and then you'll be replacing them. The ones in our current house have almost all failed, and they make the lights flicker, and make scary noises as they fail. I feel there's a fire risk when a switch starts arcing like that.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

We have decora and like them for the most part. However, because the "switch" part is so large, switchplates have less presence, if you want them to be an element in your decor. Also, if you change the color of your trim or walls, the large switch may not match the new scheme, where the smaller toggle would be less noticeable.

By "pushbutton," do you mean the turn-of-the-century switches that are two round buttons (off and on) one above the other, or do you mean the decora switches?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love the antique style push buttons, but our electrician said it would be $30 more per switch. :(

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

We did a mix of decora and toggle. It was not intentional, but had difficulty finding switchplates with one decora and three or four toggles. If we did find a plate the cost was ridiculous and s/h.

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

You can get 10 for $24 on ebay

Here is a link that might be useful: switches

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

In your house I think some of the push button switches would be great! Look around for costs; link below has them starting at about $16 each with MOP inlay and I saw a few other sites with similar pricing. If you did these just in your downstairs / public spaces, maybe it wouldn't add up to so much.

I know you've been through a lot with your build... hang in there! Your house is going to be wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: push button light switches

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Neither. Ours are a contemporary push button.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Regular toggle. Thought the decora were too contemporary for my house, although my parents have switched theirs (a very traditional cape cod in Atlanta) to decora because they prefer them. I guess the decora are more flat, and thus less obtrusive, and you can get them without screws, which looks better. We went with the toggle though and I am happy with them - what I have always had. Also MUCH cheaper and I would prefer to spend money on things other than light switches!