Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Will ripping out hardwood floors ruin the subfloor?

threeapples
11 years ago

Our hardwood floors have not settled down yet. We cannot wait forever and I'm starting to think the only solution is that they are replaced. How on earth will pulling out floors that are nailed and glued down not ruin the subfloor? My husband said the subfloor cannot be replaced because it is screwed and glued into our supportive beams and we do not want to rip the subfloor off the beams and compromise the integrity of them. I'm kind of nervous. Does anyone have experience with this?

And, please no remarks about my builder--I'm dealing with that on my own, right now I just want to learn about what damage putting new floors in will cause. thanks.

Comments (9)

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

my husband just said they were not glued, just nailed down.

• whallyden
    11 years ago

I don't think you have a choice...

FWIW, I thought anything wider than 4.25" needed glue.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I'm hoping you'll hear from someone even more knowledgeable, but I am thinking if it does "ruin" the subfloor, you won't need to tear out the subfloor, but rather just put another (thin) layer of sheating on top.

But, I don't think it should wreck it too bad, if taken out in the right direction. Normally hard woods are nailed in at an angle. If you pull them up at the correct angle, it should not tear things up too badly.

• worthy
    11 years ago

Not a big deal at all if the subfloors are plywood.

• gbsim1
    11 years ago

If your choices are a dinged up subfloor (that'll never be seen again) vs living with improperly installed cupped 5" floorboards, the answer seems clear.

This is the flooring company and your GC's worry, not yours. What are they telling you?

• chispa
    11 years ago

"My husband said the subfloor cannot be replaced because it is screwed and glued into our supportive beams and we do not want to rip the subfloor off the beams and compromise the integrity of them."

If your builder needs to rip up three layers of construction to fix a problem caused by his subs, then that is what has to happen. Why is your husband taking the side of the builder (who, of course, wants the easy/cheap/quick fix)??

Houses get taken apart and put back together, for many reason, all the time. Get the floors you paid for. Don't settle for less.

• caben15
    11 years ago

Also it seems unlikely that replacing the subfloor is impossible. People do this as part of renovations all the time. I replaced/repaired part of the subfloor in my last house, a ~50 year old ranch. I didn't have to tear out any framing to do it. Sure the wall framing ran over the subfloor in many places, but the subfloor was just cut close to the walls and replaced. The contractor did a good job making it all level. You couldn't tell the difference once hardwood had been laid over the top of it.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I replaced/repaired part of the subfloor in my last house, a ~50 year old ranch."

That many years go sub-floors did not get attached to engineered joists.

Most only had nails holding them to 2x lumber.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert