Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crhbobby1

Thermatru Classic Craft or Smooth Star?

crhbobby1
9 years ago

We are in the selections process now and are trying to choose an entry door.

Our builder has scoped a craftsman style door with sidelights and transom with all clear glass. For my traditional America ranch home...I think the mahogany collection would look the best. After adding a different glass other than clear...the price practically doubled. Apparently the glass is very expensive.

To save money...I am considering having a painted door with patterned glass...which makes me think I should get smooth star. I had the builder price a smooth star with the glass we like...and the price was about 300 more than their base door.

I am having a hard time making the decision to spend more money on an aesthetically pleasing door...that may be of less quality than the classic craft.

Would I be making a mistake by buying a Smooth Star fiberglass door?

I was at Lowes this evening and saw the classic craft doors...they seemed heavy and much more realistic looking. They have a thermatru Bench mark line...they seemed flimsy feeling...especially the ones with 3/4 glass. How does this Benchmark line fit in with SmoothStar? My fear is that benchmark and smoothstar may be similar. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Comments (2)