Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonyab122

Floor plan for review

tonyab122
9 years ago

A quick overview and some notes:
Building on 30 acres with cash
Family consists of me(39), my husband(40), daughter (15), son (9)
The front of the house will be oriented NW, more towards the W. I want the main living areas bight and sunny.
House will sit on about 5 acres cleared.
The front view will be trees, and mountains in the distance.
The rear view will be up the rest of the mountain that rises behind us.

We didn't want a formal dining room because we all congregate in/near the kitchen.

There are 3 BRs on the main floor, one will be used as office. The basement bedroom will be my daughter's. The plan is to finish the basement in the initial build, but we're building with cash, so a major setback could delay finishing for a year. If that were to happen, the office would be her temporary bedroom during that time. While not ideal, she's okay with that plan. That bathroom has 2 sinks just in case sharing become a factor.

The basement is mainly for the teenage friends to have their area with food, pool table, TV, etc.

I can't figure out how to make the pictures easiest to view. Here's a link to the Flickr album so you can see the basement, bonus room and elevations.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Plans

This post was edited by tonyab122 on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 20:57

Comments (10)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

The plan still isn't readable in the Flickr album. Part of the issue I had was with all the dimensional lines. I feel like I'm staring at a circuit board. You need larger clearer simplified images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clickable link

• tonyab122
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Try this:

You can increase the size with the magnifying glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Photobucket Album

This post was edited by tonyab122 on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 21:01

• methoddesigns
    9 years ago

I think it needs some natural light in the mudroom area. Maybe some windows over the lockers. I don't like having to walk through the powder room to get to the laundry. The free standing fridge isn't a very attractive design feature. Pantry is very small. A lot of the closets are small and look like they will be difficult to layout with shelves. Don't care much for the master closet layout. Think the little linen needs to go at the very least. Seems like there is a lot going on with all of the angles, but the rest is rather plain and basic.

• tonyab122
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A window in the mudroom is something I considered, but didn't want to lose the hanging space to add a NE window. It just seemed like a waste.
    The powder and laundry will be highly functional for us because we are all outdoors people. I wanted quick access to both the washer and a bathroom. Do you think there's a better way to arrange the space to accomplish that?
    The fridge is a 36" fully integrated paneled fridge and the cabinet beside it will mirror the design, while disguising the pantry access. The pantry size is perfect for us. Keep in mind, we will have a full kitchen in the basement for the teens, so a lot of their items will be down there.
    The office closet appears to be missing part of the back wall. It's a simple double door reach in. I believe that's the odd angle you noticed.
    The master closet layout is designed to keep down the noise and light if one of us is up before the other. The small linen closet is addressing the need for a place to store extra sheets, etc. Do you see an opportunity to work that into the space another way?
    I hope the level of finish keeps me far from the plain and basic category. The material selections for the interior aren't represented on the plans, but our estimates for the build only are $650-$750K in Va.

• Naf_Naf
    9 years ago

I am not a big fan of too many angled walls but I think your architect/designer is good at that.

The thing I like the least is going thru the Powder room to get to the laundry.

If your daughter's bedroom is downstairs, why are you placing the stairs at the "service" area? It is somewhat far. I'd place it to the right of refrigerator / adjacent to bedroom/office, then you can have direct acces to laundry and more room for the pantry. The pantry and those closets/linens next to it need some fine tuning.

• bpath
    9 years ago

If you want natural light in the mudroom and laundry without windows, put in solatubes.

In the pantry, check you local codes if you need ventilation for the freezer. If you can get the freezer in there, that is. It's kind of tight with an odd angle. Seems like some wasted space, you have to walk through a short hallway once through the door. Try sliding a cutout of your freezer through that space on paper, don't forget to include room for the person maneuvering it.

In the second bath, just because the kids might have to share, are two sinks necessary? You could save money with just one. They'll never be in there at the same time, anyway.

In the foyer, don't you need a guest closet?

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Post your plan on the kitchen forum, the experts there can help you fine tune your layout. If that's a prep sink to the left of the stove top, I don't think that's the best place for it. Let them help you.

• zone4newby
    9 years ago

If it were me, I would simplify the bath off the office, which at the moment is like a second master bath, and use that money to pay for basement stairs in the main part of the house. That would make the basement area feel much more connected to the rest of your home.

What you've got now makes your daughter's area in the basement practically a private apartment. Is that your intention?

• Naf_Naf
    9 years ago

You can have a Laundry door under the garage attic stairs and then place another stair adjacent to office. You have the space. Right now, the bedroom in the basement feels like for a second class daughter as one of my coworkers would say.