Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tip out tray in front of kitchen sink rules

Posted by Mary1956 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 19:43

Hi, I had wanted to put a tip out tray in the small area that is usually a false front in front of kitchen sink. My contractor says that since I'm putting in a undermount Cast Iron sink he is unable to do it at there isn't enough room. Does this sound right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tip out tray in front of kitchen sink rules

Very well could be!

o

could be....gf had trouble with hers until they found a shallower tray which did work with her sink....

o

Undermount cast iron is heavy. Installers typically use either a wooden cradle or metal support brackets like a SinkSetter. Which leaves no room for tip outs. That most people don't use anyway as they get so gross.

o

Thanks hollypsrings--I was just going to ask if anyone actually likes/uses their tip out. The only things that I leave sitting in/near my sink are a wash rag and a sponge, and I can't imagine how disgusting they would be if they didn't dry out...and I can't imagine them getting dry if they were in the tight space between my sink and my cabinets!

o

" That most people don't use anyway as they get so gross."

Only if you throw soaking wet sponges in them and then fail to occasionally clean them out.

They are not sealed to anything, but open to the inside of the sink cabinet.

The better models are held by two screws with 'keyhole' style cutouts.

You pull the plastic slightly upwards and it lifts out to be washed and dried in the sink.

There are some that are only slightly deeper than the face frame.

o

" That most people don't use anyway as they get so gross."

They are not 'so gross' when people clean them!

o

Mine isn't gross. And we use it. I have my heavy duty cleaning sponge in there and sink stopper in there. I don't use it for the every day sponge. It is held in place by 2 screws easy to come off and wash out.

o

I love mine. They have the keyhole cutouts like brickeyee said so we can clean them. I really just use mine for plastic scrapers (washing dishes) and the other one is for a little sponge and cleaning solution for my range (they would get lost under the sink with the big stuff).

I've had them for six years, and they have never been gross. I put the scrapers back dripping wet since the trays are plastic, and they've never had a problem drying out.

I love them, and if they weren't there it would seem like a waste of space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here