Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary1956_gw

Tip out tray in front of kitchen sink rules

Mary1956
11 years ago

Hi, I had wanted to put a tip out tray in the small area that is usually a false front in front of kitchen sink. My contractor says that since I'm putting in a undermount Cast Iron sink he is unable to do it at there isn't enough room. Does this sound right?

Comments (8)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Very well could be!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

could be....gf had trouble with hers until they found a shallower tray which did work with her sink....

• User
    11 years ago

Undermount cast iron is heavy. Installers typically use either a wooden cradle or metal support brackets like a SinkSetter. Which leaves no room for tip outs. That most people don't use anyway as they get so gross.

• User
    11 years ago

Thanks hollypsrings--I was just going to ask if anyone actually likes/uses their tip out. The only things that I leave sitting in/near my sink are a wash rag and a sponge, and I can't imagine how disgusting they would be if they didn't dry out...and I can't imagine them getting dry if they were in the tight space between my sink and my cabinets!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" That most people don't use anyway as they get so gross."

Only if you throw soaking wet sponges in them and then fail to occasionally clean them out.

They are not sealed to anything, but open to the inside of the sink cabinet.

The better models are held by two screws with 'keyhole' style cutouts.

You pull the plastic slightly upwards and it lifts out to be washed and dried in the sink.

There are some that are only slightly deeper than the face frame.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

" That most people don't use anyway as they get so gross."

They are not 'so gross' when people clean them!

• tracik3
    11 years ago

Mine isn't gross. And we use it. I have my heavy duty cleaning sponge in there and sink stopper in there. I don't use it for the every day sponge. It is held in place by 2 screws easy to come off and wash out.

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

I love mine. They have the keyhole cutouts like brickeyee said so we can clean them. I really just use mine for plastic scrapers (washing dishes) and the other one is for a little sponge and cleaning solution for my range (they would get lost under the sink with the big stuff).

I've had them for six years, and they have never been gross. I put the scrapers back dripping wet since the trays are plastic, and they've never had a problem drying out.

I love them, and if they weren't there it would seem like a waste of space.