Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

How do you determine your tankless hot water heater size?

carsonheim
10 years ago

Howdy folks! Wanted to get some input on tankless hot water heaters. I know they come in different sizes, but I don't know how to determine what size I would need in my house. Is there an industry standard dependent on number of occupants, square footage, etc? Would love your input!

Comment (1)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

It's dependent on incoming water temperature, and the temperature rise desired, and flow rate. As well as the plumbing layout for the home. some homes have the plumbing so spread out that two heaters of whichever kind work best.

But, you also don't use it like a conventional tanked where you over heat the water and then use cold to throttle it back to make the hot water last longer. You want a 103 degree shower, you have it heat to maybe 105, and add very little cold water. It does take some changes of habit to get used to it, but you will love it. I've had my 199K BTU Myson almost 19 years now, and expect at least that much more service from it. It's long since paid me back for choosing it, and I can still enjoy any number of back to back 40 minute showers if I want.