Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_wiley

Getting started! Help?

Kristen Wiley
10 years ago

I've spent some time lurking here, and have learned a lot already, but I'm hoping you all can offer a bit of 'getting started' advice.

Here's the situation:
Myself and my husband (no kids, not going to be any) currently live in a house that is falling apart. (long story, not really relevant as to why) We are planning on building a new house on our property.
What I have done so far: I found a structural engineer who will provide the foundation plan (will be on piers as we are in a floodplain, said engineer has done that type of work before.)
I am working on clearing the area where the house will go.
I have found a floor plan I really like (and has a lot of advantages for the pier system, such as having all water centrally located so the lines can come in on one central pier and not travel far). However, this plan was designed for a straw home, and while I love the idea we are far too wet here to consider building with straw. There are also several modifications I'd like to make, so it will not end up being that similar to the original.
I know about the permits, etc that will be needed.
I have started clearing the way for the new driveway, which will be used for construction traffic as well.

My uncle is a GC and has offered to work on our house at low cost. The house will be about 1400 sq ft, and our budget is roughly 125K (low, but I'm in KY so costs are pretty low here.) We will be doing as much of the work ourselves as we can, as well as trying to use repurposed things when safe and appropriate.

I know I need 'real' drawings of the floor plan, but am not sure how to go about this? Should I contact the straw site and ask if that person would be willing to modify it for a stick built home? Would it be best to make a drawing myself and try to find a local architect to draw actual plans from that?

Anyway, just hoping for a little advice on how to find someone to create the actual plans.

The original idea is located at balewatch.com, it is the eyelash. However, what I had in mind involves quite a bit of changes, even beyond making it not out of straw.

Comments (9)

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

Are you planning to have all those curved walls? Those will add a HUGE cost to your build. You should definitely talk to your uncle about the added cost of the curved walls before investing any effort in a new floorplan. I am wondering if a cement wall may be more cost effective for all those curves?
    Good luck!

• Kristen Wiley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No to the curves- though they are lovely, I know the cost would be way too much. Sorry, should have mentioned that! Kind of important.
    I was thinking the curves could be squared off. Though- this gets to my dilemma- what I have in mind is so different from the original. However the general idea is preserved. That's why I am unsure how to get an appropriate architect.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

In a flood plain? Wetlands are federally regulated. Not state regulated. Check with what modifications are actually allowed, and if any mitigation may be required, as well as how high above the flood line you are required to build That could take all of your budget right there. Or, it could even be disallowed. Also check with your insurance company about the cost of homeowners insurance for a flood plain build. Put EVERYTHING on hold until you check out those issues. It could be that the only spot allowable to build on the property is currently occupied by the existing home. You need to know what the limitations of the property are before beginning any plan, much less any action.

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

Seems like your uncle (if he is an experienced GC) would have worked with some local designers or architects.

Sounds like you are making extensive changes so copyright is probably not an issue. I would say otherwise just open up the yellow pages under architects and/or home designers and call around. It would probably be better to find someone with experience in pole houses.

• jdez
    10 years ago

We bought a stock plan off of an internet website and wanted to make several changes. We gave the plans to our builder and he drew it up on his computer at home to give to all the permit people and inspectors. Yours can probably do the same.

• Kinsley7
    10 years ago

I'm in Kentucky also and have never heard of anyone building in wetlands ( in central KY).....are you located in western KY?

• None Ofyourbusiness
    10 years ago

Flood plain does not necessarily mean wetlands. Flood plain means a low lying area within a certain proximity to navigable water. Wetlands is an area of preservation for wildlife or plant life. You can have a salt flat that is considered in a flood plain (happens in Texas), and that, is obviously not consistently wet nor productive for wildlife or plant life.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

There are a lot of hoops to jump through to build in a flood plain. FEMA controls a lot of those issues. Not the least being the cost of homeowners insurance vs. how tall off the ground you will be required to build. I looked into a few places for a vacation home in Katrina hit areas, and if the house hadn't been knocked down, but was repaired, the flood insurance was unbelievably high. If it was just a bare lot, some areas had to be 20' feet off of the ground to get a building permit, with breakaway walls under, or nothing to contain the storm surge from passing through.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floodplain Construction in KY

• Kristen Wiley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your responses. We are located in eastern KY.
    The land in question is not a designated wetland- though I thoroughly appreciate you alerting me to this possibility. I am a biologist so I am familiar with wetlands.
    I do need to check out the floodplain construction permit though. The site is actually adjacent to the existing old log cabin, and may actually be outside of the 100-year flood line, which is why we chose it. We can not move higher because it becomes mountain very quickly and we can not afford to build on the actual side of the mountain. Being outside of what is designated as a floodplain is not the same thing as being outside of where the water can go, though, which is why we were advised to go with piers. I really appreciate that link- thanks!

This is why I came here- there is a lot of expertise and I'm much much happier to find all these things out now.

Though I still need to get actual plans somehow. I read on another thread about finding an architect, and it seems that can be a sort of can o'worms also. Draftsman vs. architect? How involved to have them be? SO MANY QUESTIONS!! I suppose I'll have to just do some calling around and see what I can find out. Thanks so much.