Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eichgirl_gw

New house plans for review

eichgirl
11 years ago

We are going to be building a house - I have drawn the plans myself, and have a meeting with the drafter in a couple of days... Would love to hear opinions on the three variations I have drawn. The only differences are in the master bath/closet and laundry/back door areas.

We have two kids but they are older - one in college and the other in high school... so not much longer, and it will only be the two of us. Appreciate any feedback anyone wants to give. Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Option 1 is my favorite because you don't need to go through the bathroom to get to the closet (as in 2 or 3) and you can also get natural light into the laundry room (and really easy venting) in Opt 1 vs Opt 3.

I'm not crazy about all back door traffic having to walk through the kitchen. But, if this will really never be a family house, it will probably be fine (how big is your garage? single?)

Oh, wait! where is your garage? Is it enclosing that corner so you can't get light into the laundry?

If so...that changes my mind; only a little. I still prefer to enter a closet even when my spouse is using the toilet. And, I could only do that in opt 1.

• eichgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks much for the feedback. Yes, the garage is enclosing that bottom left corner of the house - it is a 3 car attached garage. I would prefer to have a hallway behind the kitchen, too, for better traffic flow, so that everyone didn't have to go through the kitchen... but hallways add a lot of sq. footage, and we are trying to keep it around 2000 sq. ft, so my hallway didn't make the cut. Our current kitchen has the same problem, and it doesn't bother us too much.

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

If it were my house, I'd put windows in both walls of the master bedroom. It would make a big difference in the feel of the space.

Also, I'd be tempted to find a different place for the pantry so you could put a window in that wall and get some natural light into the mudroom/laundry area. Are lockers important, given your kids' ages? Maybe you could have your pantry storage there, and open up the pantry area for a bench with a window above it?

Of your three options, I like number 1 too. I think having two doors in your closet would cost you a lot of storage space.

• eichgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you - that is a good idea to have more natural light in the mudroom area, I will definitely consider that. I was going to put one of those round tube skylights in the kids bathroom so that it had natural light. I generally do not love skylights, because of condensation problems, but we did have a tube skylight in our last house, and had no problems with it. Maybe I should put one in the laundry room and one in the mudroom area if I can't make a window work there....

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I am thinking it might be neat to put your pantry where you have the laundry in the 3rd one. Have you seen any of those "concealed pantries"? check the kitchen forum for some examples.
    Then, you could use the mudroom/laundry combo and get a window. But, you wouldn't be able to access the closet simultaneously as someone using the toilet (unless you could push the toilet back into a portion of what will be the pantry space and put a separate door on it.)

• Oaktown
    11 years ago

I was on another blog earlier tonight and saw a floor plan that reminded me of yours. You might take a look for inspiration/ideas (you'll need to scroll down a bit) --

http://simplyeleganthomedesigns.blogspot.com/
    September 7, 2012
    New House Plan Unveiled "Pine Gables"

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Gables

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

#3 would make sense if one spouse has to get up, get ready and get dressed for work very early (or very late) without disturbing the other spouse's sleep. Because with that plan, there is no need for the early riser to come back into the bedroom before leaving the house. But it does cut down on the usable space in the closet, and brings the W/D closer to the bedroom where it might be annoying if you run it at night when you go to bed (as we do sometimes).

#2 accomplishes the same thing without making the closet a walk-through space. I've personally never had a walk-in closet, but I would imagine that if I did, it would be hard to keep it in a condition where I could stand to have me and/or my spouse regularly use it as a passageway. And this plan significantly cuts down on the countertop space in the master bath.

#1 allows for bathroom privacy/steaminess without affecting the person needing to get in and out of the closet, and it allows for the larger vanity. But you could actually do a combo of #1 and #2 and have two doors into the closet. You'd lose a bit of hanging space, but it would give you the option.

In any event, I think you woudl be greatly served by considering the use of pocket doors in a lot of places. Some doors will tend to remain open (locker-to-laundry, bath-to-closet, MBR-to-bath) and a pocket door will eliminate having a door hanging into the room all the time. Pocket doors and wider doorways will also prepare you for aging in place if mobility becomes an issue for one of you later on.

Can I ask what the little maze thing is by the front door? Is that an office area? Because it seems like there is a lot of wasted space in the foyer area and in that maze/office area. If it's not really designated for anything, then there is opportunity there to use that area as the pantry, or additional storage, etc.

• eichgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great ideas! I will start working on revising some of these to see what else I can come up with, using some of the ideas posted. Oh, the maze thing is the stairs down to the basement.... no matter where I put the stairs, there was wasted space in the foyer... I am also considering bringing back one of my previous designs with the hallway behind the kitchen, but hubby may vote that down, extra sq footage. Really appreciate all of your ideas... I have been looking at all of the designs so long that I can't see new ideas any more!