Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

Entrance door double vs single with glass on the sides?

abekker
9 years ago

Is it true that there is less drift with a single door vs a double?

Comments (13)

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

Drift?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Draft? (then, I think yes, it is true)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes, draft : )

• natalie72
    9 years ago

We started building our home in January 2011, moved in it August 2011! I chose 2 mahogany doors with glass/wrought iron. There is No draft & I absolutely love the doors I chose. I think 2 doors just look incredible. Good luck with your new home!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Well done, there should be no drafts.

The huge advantage to double door comes when you are moving the couch in. :)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Couch, fridge, anything large...

But, it does need to be done well, or yes, they can be more drafty--more areas with weatherstripping that can fail, etc.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Also not traditionally as water tight so most people prefer to only use them at an entry door point if they have a sizable overhang to limit the water infiltration possibility.

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

Seems to me that double doors are more for aesthetics, and seldom are they open with both leafs.

For proper security, special hardware is required, which, in turn, requires extra time and effort to release in order to open both leafs.

Good luck with your project.

• cobbyw
    9 years ago

I'd go with double doors. We have them and have no issues with draft. Also, I cannot tell you how many times I have needed to open them both......furniture, Christmas Tree, carpet cleaning folks, etc. We are building a beach home and husband said we had to have one set of double doors.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. My husband is insisting on double doors and they do look grand. Hopefully we won't have draft issues.

• caben15
    9 years ago

Practical issue with double doors that caused us to do a single door in our project: One leverset is a dummy. We found that with the dummy lever we had on our last house that people would not know which one was the operating door and accidentally bend the lever down even though it was "fixed". It would move a bit though and so I constantly had to be resetting the lever back to the horizontal position.

We opted for a single wide (42") front door in our current project. This should be plenty wide enough for even chunky pieces of furniture.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

One important question is, How big is your house? Into what type of entryway will they open?

While Natalie's double doors are lovely, they'd look silly on my small house.

Overall, I lean towards single doors. Two doors are never opened at once, so they serve no purpose. Double doors also double your cost, and doors aren't cheap!

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think double would be more appropriate for your foyer size. Thanks for your help!