Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdslack

Thank you for all your help Garden Web! FINISHED!

bdslack
9 years ago

You all helped us a great deal planning our modern farm house. We wanted to say thank you for all the help and show some photos of our 2 year adventure that we took with your help. We would be happy to answer any questions.
I am sorry the photos are so poor - they are actually inventory photos! I will put a link in for all of them.
Here are some things that we love about the place:
1. Hide a Hose central VAC.
2. Blum motorized cabinets.
3. Metal roof.
3. The plan that we developed with the architect.
4. Motorized coupla windows.
5. Liebherr full built in (what a pain and drama but we love it).
6. The kitchen island.
7. Serena Lutron automated shades.
8. Insteon lighting system.
9. ELK alarm and automation system.

1. Geothermal heating and cooling.
  2. An awesome Morso fireplace.
  3. A toto Neorest.

Any questions please let us know and THANK YOU AGAIN!

Here is a link that might be useful: All Photos

Comments (28)

• lafdr
    9 years ago

Stunning ! I absolutely love it!
    lafdr

• caben15
    9 years ago

wow. amazing job.

• Joe
    9 years ago

Beautiful execution. Unexpected interior and interior/exterior interaction. Really appreciate the various uses of natural and attendant light. Attention to finish detail is remarkable. The dog, the dog, the dog!

~ Well done.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think this is one of the most thoughtfully executed new houses I've seen on Gardenweb, ever.

Is the medicine cabinet fixture in the bathroom a Lincandescent?

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Be still, my heart! I love it!

• sas95
    9 years ago

Beautiful job! I love it.

• vwhippiechick
    9 years ago

Lovely! Looks so singularly welcoming! Congrats. Enjoy.

• worthy
    9 years ago

The sprawling farmhouse re-imagined in the form of modern outbuildings re-purposed. Nice job! (No attribution to the architect?)

This post was edited by worthy on Mon, Nov 10, 14 at 12:01

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Lovely! Congratulations.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

The cubby for bath towels is just one great feature. It's a beautiful home.

Now all you and your family needs to do is cram it to overflowing with happy memories. :)

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

But what is this concept of "finished"?? I've never seen nor heard of such a thing with regard to a house project ;-)

• abekker
    9 years ago

Very cool house. How I wish I was writing this post, we still have a looong way to go.

• Katie S.
    9 years ago

So lovely! Thanks for posting. The kitchen is amazing to me, so airy it seems almost like its floating.... Hard to describe what I mean, but I love it.
    I also now need a giant caramel pump.

• Aims
    9 years ago

Awesome!!

• bpath
    9 years ago

"Thoughtful" is precisely the word. And it makes it beautiful. Everything is thought out for function as well as form. Although the Lego flatware is probably more for the fun part of function, and I wish we'd had some when our boys were Legomaniacs as well as Star Wars fans :)

Love the serenity of the laundry room, it grounds the chaos of laundry. The ethereal bookcase lighting. The well-placed plants. The roof, for goodness sake! And when the thread comes up again in Kitchens on where to end a backsplash, a response should point here.

It speaks to my Scandinavian heritage, and it's delightful.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I love it. Shows that modern can be warm. I could look at your storage for hours. I love the ceiling heights on the main floor as well.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Very nice! Things that stood out for me:

- The roof is the perfect choice.
    - The porch is integrated so well.
    - Your storage is outstanding, though I think my favorite item is that little towel cubby.
    - I agree with the word "thoughtful". Everything here was clearly done purposefully, with a plan.

• jkliveng
    9 years ago

Very beautiful!!

Love everything, especially the storage. Thank you for letting us see into your cabinets and drawers!

• sundownr
    9 years ago

I love it! From afar and near and closeup! You did such a great job. And I agree with the other comments - great roof, storage, bath towel cubbies, kitchen drawers, etc etc.

Did you post the floorplan online? I would love to see that.

• Nick
    9 years ago

The strangest thing just happened...was looking through pictures of a car for sale on Craigslist and had to do a double take. It's crazy but I recognized your garage from the photos! Wish more new construction in our area would follow in your footsteps and move towards the modern farmhouse style. Your home is a fantastic precedent!

• bdslack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not had a chance to log on for a week. Thank you for all your comments... and the car is still for sale!

• bdslack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi palimpsest,

The medicine cabinets were made by a company called Flawless..

Here is a link that might be useful: Flawless Medicine Cabinets

• bdslack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Worthy,

The architects were with Mark Demerly's studio in Indianapolis.
    We worked with Hanna and Mark and they did a fantastic job. Best money spent on the project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Demerly Architects

• 293summer
    9 years ago

Lovely home! Just curious, what "color" is the roofing?

• sorie6 zone 6b
    9 years ago

WOW! that home is truly amazing! But my favorite part is the kitchen drawers. I want mine organized like that. Where do you get the dividers??
    Very well designed and thought out. Thank for the tour !

• bdslack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi swtceleb,

The roof and gutters are a metal they call galvalume plus - it is similar to the back of a road sign:

The alloy is 45% zinc and 55% aluminum and looks similar to galvanized steel, but the visible crystals are smaller and close together, giving it a smoother appearance. Galvalume has a cousin, Galvalume Plus. The only difference is Plus has a thin, clear acrylic coating. Because Galvalume Plus can be roll-formed dry without vanishing oil, it is very easy to form and install safely.

The combination of zinc and aluminum in Galvalume enhances both the positive and negative effects of aluminum. Galvalume has barrier corrosion resistance and heat resistance similar to aluminized material and good bare edge galvanic protection and forming qualities like galvanized material. Consequently, Galvalume and Galvalume Plus will resist rust, the elements and fire while providing a sturdy and protective covering.

• bdslack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi sorie6,

The dividers are simply bamboo ones we got at the Container Store. If you google "container store bamboo drawer organizer trays" they will pop right up.

The peg drawer system is by Häfele.. They also did the LED closet rods and a few other things. We used a lot of their products as well as Richelieu products - they make pocket door hardware (we have 5 total) that is "soft open" and "soft close" and is amazing...

• 293summer
    9 years ago

Bdslack - thanks for the info! Again, lovely home.