Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Marshy lakefrontage...never worth the hassle?

robo (z6a)
9 years ago

Dh and I are still looking (2 years now!) for a good lakefront lot for our cottage. Or a cottage. Inventory is near zero in the area we want.

In this time only two lots have come up on our desired lake.

Unfortunately both lots (different sellers) had the same problem...they're located in little cove areas and as such the waterfrontage isn't ideal - it's marshy instead of rocky or sandy. Has anyone built in a similar situation?

Other things are great- location is A+, power to the lot, driveway in, perc test good, slope decent, exposure good. Place where house would go is elevated and not marshy. We'd build on slab so no damp basement or crawl space.

At first we crossed these lots off the list because we didn't want to deal with the marshyness but as time passes and nothing comes in the market....should we reconsider?

To make matters worse (or better depending on how much you like the environment) the municipality has shoreline development rules - 65 foot setback from water for building and "minimal" disturbance to vegetation and grade within that setback. So I have a feeling they wouldn't take too kindly to me dumping a bunch of boulders at the shoreline and building up a lawn there. Not that I need a lawn...so I've been considering a boardwalk to the water or something.

The waterfrontage is ok once you get past the marshy bit...

The lake itself is rocky, clear and deep.

Here you can see the lot (outlined in black) and how the shoreline dips in a bit which makes it worse than the lot immediately to the left. It's 2 acres.

Municipality rules:

The lot has a moderate slope down to the lake but nothing too steep (can you tell this is Canadian from the picture??)

This post was edited by robotropolis on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 19:52

Comments (10)

• worthy
    9 years ago

Looks fine to me!

But that's because when I had cottages in the Kawarthas I wanted them not be just reproductions of an urban home, or even mansions, with sweeps of fertilized grass and plantings, but to actually be, well, cottages.

Lake Rosseau, Muskoka (Ontario) "cottage" formerly owned by Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 21:38

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Worthy, I really value your opinion because I know you've been there and done that many times. Obviously I'd bring a builder out to evaluate the land before we bought.

The thing I most worry about with the marshyness is bugs. Do you think that's reason enough to drive a homeowner away from this type of waterfrontage? My husband's response was "bugs everywhere in the woods" -- but don't you think there's more on a swampy lot? (or to be more specific, a lot where you have to walk through some swampiness to get to the lake?)

PS -- just for your interest -- this lot is $60K, 2 acres, and an hour away from Halifax. Not exactly Muskoka price! But then again -- Halifax is no Toronto.

PPS Worst mistake I ever made was looking at a lot during blackfly season -- I should have turned back when I saw the homeowners out on their ride-ons in full bug suits.

PPPS This is the dream (or something like it) but the reality will likely be a lot less flashy

This post was edited by robotropolis on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 22:15

• mattypies
    9 years ago

I have owned lakefront property for 20 years in Ontario. Marshy lakefront is not the best and will produce bugs. But in my experience some of that can be mitigated by making sure your property has a lot of sun light. Marshy and shade is a recipe for disaster. I would still recommend a screened in porch for evenings. Another thing to consider is annual lake levels and how they affect your property. Your summer season is short so it is something to take into account when considering how much use you will get out of your lake front.

We have to follow very similar guidelines for building and preserving the lake. Having lived in the same lakefront spot for so long it has been amazing to watch the lake change. I have seen miles of reed beds disappear and a new influx of weeds and zebra muscles invade our lake. Talk to your potential neighbors I am sure they would be happy to share information with you.

I would live anywhere as long as it was on a lake or ocean!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts mattypies! The restrictions do allow for cutting down trees in order to gain a view of the lake so I think I could ensure some sun. The frontage is NW however so it won't be all sun all day. Screen porch is on my absolute must list.

The lake level is interesting as the power company draws it down 5-6 feet every fall. The entire lake system in this area is the same and it's well accepted in the region. Actually kinda nice as you can leave your dock in and manage the shoreline every fall. But probably hard on shoreline vegetation. This county in particular seems to be very active with water quality monitoring in the lakes which is really nice for me. Love having ten yrs of water quality reports to refer to.

This particular lake is just starting to be developed. I think it's a good time to get "in" - even island lots on a smaller lake a little farther from town are $150k, or you can choose a mainland lot with no power (ever) for $85-150k.

Ps another advantage of boardwalk....NS is now home to ticks and Lyme. Lots of ticks and lots of Lyme

Pps even in grassy areas on the ocean mosquitos are ridiculous here so maybe I just have to accept lots of bugs into my life regardless.

PPPS A recent article on the lake and the power company drawdowns.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 10:21

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Went and tramped around the land today. It rained buckets yesterday and the lake was about a foot higher than last time we went.

Here's a video I took of the lakefrontage

Here's a photo that shows how the water infiltrates into the low shoreline -- I'd say there's about 30 feet of wet ground there. What do you think? I'm so clueless at looking at raw land.

Any other thoughts?

PS In the middle of this forest, no buidings in sight, I managed to step on a 2" nail and drive it right through my boot -- so I guess the good news is I'm up to date on my tetanus shot as of tonight?

PPS No realtor yet, this land is private sale as are about half the properties we look at.

• Beemer
    9 years ago

Bugs are a part of life at the lake. You will have to stay out of shady, sheltered areas from about mid May til first hard frost. You will be heading in at nightfall (mosquito decend then).

On this lake ypu will have to be content with the dead trees ringing the lake. The varying water levels will have a ring of dead snags at nearly all times. I live on a lake and have 35' of boardwalk to an 88' dock. We have a mud base - no sandy bottom. We can only build 100' away from the waterline. But we do love it. We are avid canoers, kayakers, pontoners and even sailors. We don't go swiming. We do love it there.

Just don't try to change it into a city lot. The lake is a wild thing. Keep it that way and grow to love it.

• User
    9 years ago

Learn to love the bugs.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm torn because I know I could wait (maybe another couple of years, maybe months, maybe five years, just according to chance) and get one of the rockier shoreline lots which would suit my style better (I swim every day) and have more wind and sun to disperse the bugs. But I hate waiting. So I'm trying to convince myself that the added bonus of looking at wildlife would help with this one. Like maybe some turtle platforms.

I hate places with no inventory!!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 8:56

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

in reading your words... i get the feeling.. that this place will never come up to your hopes and dreams...

keep looking ...

ken

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're right, it's definitely not the dream...but the dream may be colliding with reality at this point. :-S