Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncfarmer

If I can do it, you can do it too!

ncfarmer
9 years ago

I designed a home to build in NC, I live in FL and it is my 3rd build. I will be 75 next month and I just want to encourage folks out there to BUILD YOUR OWN. In Aug, Sept and part of Oct 2013 my wife and I excavated, installed plumbing and finished the slab foundation. We had a crew pour it of course. Last April 6th we returned to NC to finish the house. Plan was to do it in 6 months, took 7. I did everything except the trusses, shingles, insulation and sheetrock. I have done all of that before and knew not to do it again. Besides at my age my wife kept me off the roof. The house is slightly larger than 1800sqft, fiberglass windows, shangles on the roof, quartz counter tops and engineered T&G flooring waiting for me to put down. We have spring water feeding into two home made spring boxes and a 600 gal tank. Below is a link to my dropbox house photos. If you are thinking about building, stop, just do it. It is hard work but very rewarding. I worked over 200 days without one day off but now can enjoy my efforts. https://www.dropbox.com/sc/oii72vzc972164a/AAAHHpCuaKMq-S9z084HqJGna

Here is a link that might be useful: House build

Comments (10)