Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Hair dryer mounted on the wall?

mrspete
9 years ago

One of our goals is to build a house that'll be age-friendly. As I was drying my hair at the gym, I thought to myself, "Hey, I LIKE that this hair dryer is wall-mounted. I LIKE having two hands free to style my hair, and it would definitely be nice to have as we grow older. Why am I not considering one of these for my own house?"

So, questions:

- Has anyone installed one of these wall-mounted hair dryers at home?
- Any special considerations for location, mounting, whatever?
- What type? I've found the type that are found in gyms: They're $350-400ish and installation would cost something. And I saw a $10 "handle" on Amazon.com that was essentially just a thing that'd hold your blow dryer on the wall; I'm not sure how it'd work.

Open to any and all thoughts.

Comments (26)

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Can you post a photo? Don't go to the gym and the ones I have used in hotels do not allow you to have two hands free for styling.

My question would be what height would you install it at? Do you sit while styling your hair now? Because for aging in place, I can see wanting to sit while drying your hair.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Seems to me a wall-mounted hair dryer would require the dry-ee to be constantly changing positions in order to get her hair dry and styled. I think it would easier to change the position of the hair dryer. Maybe the key is to get a very lightweight hairdryer. I'd love to get this one, but $300 for a hairdryer???

Here is a link that might be useful: Harry Josh hairdryer

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

At the gym they have two hair dryers: One for adults, one mounted lower for kids. I'm very short, but the height seems to work fine -- the nozzle swivels, and I suppose that helps with people of different heights. I see the point of wanting to sit down, but this is a permanantly installed item . . . and once it's in, it's IN.

It's not an attractive item, but it sure is functional.

No, this is nothing like a hotel's wall-mounted hair dryer. I think they're designed to keep people from stealing the hair dryers, and since hands are still required, I see no point in that type of dryer for home.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, I don't see the point of a lightweight hair dryer. What I like about the wall-mounted versions at the gym is that they're hands-free, leaving two hands for styling.

No, when I use those machines, I don't have to move around constantly -- just a bit of side-to-side movement. My head's not that big!

• rrah
    9 years ago

I realize it probably differs slightly, but if the image you posted is of the dryer, it looks like a hand dryer in a public restroom. I cannot imagine trying to dry my hair with it even if the nozzle rotates.

It's unattractive enough I would not want it in my house, but we all get to make our own choices.

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

Yep... that photo is one of a hand dryer, found in many public bathrooms.

• mrsb1227
    9 years ago

I'm confused, do they make a hand dryer looking hands free hair dryer, or did you find another use for the hand dryer? ;)

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

No~ They really are used to dry hair.
    Note the pic of the head on this one...

• duvetcover
    9 years ago

If you google "hands free hair dryer" you can find several different models. There are also several stands which hold the hair dryer which makes it hands free-seems like a less expensive and more flexible option. Bed Bath and Beyond, for example, sells a stand. There are others online too.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Sorry, I can't go there. It's not attractive...downright ugly as it reminds me of a public restroom. And I'm thinking not very sanitary either as they blow the germs on the floor all around too.

If you need the dryer and round brush thing then get a hot air brush... a lot easier to handle, and you can put it away when you're done.

Here is a link that might be useful: hot air brush

• bpath
    9 years ago

I think if you are at that point in your flexibility, you just need to find an easy care hairstyle and go to the salon once a week. As you age, you don't produce as much oil and can go longer between shampoos.

Or get a bonnet-style dryer.

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

I remember those from when I used to take swimming lessons at the community pool!

I did find them reasonably convenient for drying my hair, especially if your arms get tired after holding them upright for a while. These pretty much eliminate the risk of sucking your own hair into the blowdryer (which can happen, esp with longer hair!) But, I do recall it blowing my hair around enough that they probably aren't that useful for styling.

From what I recall, the ones that hold a hand-held dryer to the wall are just for storage (which I like compared to having to put the darn thing in/out of cupboards).

• iread06
    9 years ago

Listen to an old person---This dryer will break, sooner or later. Then, you'll have an ugly appliance that doesn't work attached to your wall. Then, someone will come up with a terrific, new device that eliminates the need for hair dryers. Meanwhile, you'll still have that ugly, broken appliance or a patch job in your sheetrock.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

My college dorm had one of those in the women's restroom, and I graduated 30 years ago! So that's either old school or tried and true. I do remember that you don't have much control with those, like you would with a hot air brush. More for drying than styling, I think.

It seems like there should be something sleeker these days, maybe that can be hidden in a concealed cabinet. I always wanted something like the picture below from Concealed Cabinets in a bathroom and in the mudroom for keys. I wonder if you could mount (hide) a dryer in something like this? Heat might be an issue.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Probably not an issue because you need to open the door to use the dryer!

I think the bonnet dryers intend for you to use rollers to style your hair. Although my college roommate with really curly long hair would wrap hers around her head with pins, go under the bonnet, and her hair would be smoother. Meanwhile, I was singeing my neck with the curling iron trying to get curls. Oh, well, we are never happy.

My mom uses her old pink vinyl bonnet dryer to defrost the deep freeze faster! Since it's neither super powerful nor super hot, it does a stellar job. Sorry for the digression...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Well, combining ideas, i have a hot air brush like Annie suggests, kept in a cabinet like bpathome suggests, where it is plugged in tot he cabinet wall

In my old bathroom, i had a drawer in the vanity with my dryer plugged into the drawer

• Beemer
    9 years ago

Conair, Jerdon, and Andis all have wall mount hair dryers.
    Look them up on Amazon. Most under $40.00

I have an Andis in my vacation bathroom. It is great because I do not have to coil it up and use limited drawer space in tiny bath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Andis Wall Mount Hair Dryer

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We built a tall narrow cabinet in between the 2 vanity sinks with an appliance garage in it and an outlet. While I rarely use a hair dryer so I don't store it in there, I could. Far more attractive than something hanging on the wall.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lots of rambling on this topic . . .

No to a hot air brush -- the whole reason I like using the wall-mounted unit at the gym is that it leaves both hands free.

No to a bonnet dryer. Do they even still make those? And curlers are rather the opposite of a blow dryer.

No to changing my hairstyle to avoid the need for a blow dryer. I'm mid-fourties and in very good health. I just like the hands-free convenience and can see that it could be even more handy in the future.

I don't see how it could be unsanitary. It can't make germs. Whatever germs are in the bathroom could be blown around, but they won't be increased in number.

I was wondering about putting it behind . . . something. I just didn't know what. I do like the idea of putting it behind a picture, but I don't know if it would need to stand out from the wall. I'll pay attention next time I'm using the one at the gym. I do like that picture and am going to take a look at the website.

I hadn't considered the possibility of it breaking, but that is a very reasonable thought.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I just wonder how, if your mobility is such that you need two hands free to style, how do you move your head, neck, shoulders, etc., to meet the blowing air? At what height do you mount it, your height now, or your height when you're 90? For my mom, that's about a 3" difference, not to mention her lessened mobility.

Since you plan a pool, though, I can totally see how handy it would be now.

I guess it depends on how you style your hair. If It's pretty easy, like you can finger-curl it with the dryer on it, then go for it! You know your hair best!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I don't see how it could be unsanitary. It can't make germs. Whatever germs are in the bathroom could be blown around, but they won't be increased in number.

I apologize in advance for being snarky, but even though there are no new germs added to my kitchen, I use plates. I don't eat off the floor.

From the linked article below: "You actually end up with more bacteria with the hand blower because they're taking the air in the restroom and blowing it onto your hands with the bacteria on it," said Gerba.

So it's that they blow the bacteria from the dirty floor up and onto you and other bathroom surfaces and in the air you breathe...the bathroom floor being the dirtiest part of the bathroom. Air dryers have been shown to spread germs as far as 6'. Handheld dryers may blow the air around, but they aren't typically as powerful or pointed at the floor where the turbulence stirs stuff up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dirtiest bathroom parts

• Fori
    9 years ago

...but unlike a public restroom, the germs in YOUR bathroom are your germs and were put there by you. If they are going to make you sick, they will have already infected you by the time you bring them into the bathroom.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Apologies if this repeats previous posts as time did not permit reading all of them. This proposed dryer would be in the way most of the time- a projection from the wall necessitating negotiating around it. And if it breaks or wears out, the wall mount for the new probably would be different, necessitating refinishing the wall.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Fori, that's exactly what my nephew said when he was 5 and didn't want to wash his hands before dinner. I didn't buy it then either.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

NO! Don't do it!!
    Hang a basket on the wall for it or a hook or something easily replaced or removed.
    I personally don't like the looks or space wall dryers take up in hotel bathrooms.

• zone4newby
    9 years ago

I think you should only install something like this when you want it. If you would like to have it now, then go ahead (it doesn't appeal to me, but I don't mind holding a hair dryer).

If you think it might be useful in the future when you are infirm, I would wait until you get there. Your health may take a different path than you expect-- there are all kinds of disability-- or something better may come on to the market in the meantime. Or your hair may be thinner by the time you get there, and hair drying may be less of an issue.

If you're on the fence, you could get one of the cheaper counter top hands-free models and use it for a while to see if it's really something you enjoy using regularly.

FWIW, I think you might prefer something you could use while seated when you are older. It would be terrible to lose your balance while hanging your head over that thing.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths