Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help recommend water system for new home

Posted by mrs.sergeant (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 18:01

Hi! I am a newbie to posting but I have been lurking on this site for a year while we were building our house. It has been such a valuable resource and I'm so happy I found it!
I was really hoping I could get some non biased expert advice on some problems we are having with our water. I would be so appreciative for some input. We live on 1.5 acres brand new house on a well. The well is 140 ft deep and has problems with Iron at 2ppm, Hardness at 7gpg, PH is 6.5, and mild sulphur smell at .5. The TDS is 160 and we do have a slight bacteria with orange brown sludge in our toilet tanks and brownish orange water collecting in toilet bowls, dog bowl, bath water etc. The flow rate is 16 We have pex piping and wrisbow fittings so we are not worried about damage to those.
Please tell me your opinion on these systems or a suggestion on a better one, I have two estimates Ive narrowed down
Kinetico 2060 Ssoft, pgh line fitter and post carbon filter- $3135
Watercare 10x54 total water care conditioner with min plus pre filtration and post filtration $3600 plus need an outlet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help recommend water system for new home

It seems you have had your water tested by a reputable source, right? And have they given you recommendations for effective treatment?

I assume your two suggestions respond to and support the recommended remediation?

Good luck with your project.

o

I was going to suggest you take this over to the plumbing forum, but I see you have already done so.

o

Kinetico - hands down. I live on 8 acres with a well and septic. The water is very hard, lots of iron and sulfur. I also have the reverse osmosis drinking water system from Kinetico and my friends from the city rave about our drinking water when they visit. I have much better quality water here than I ever did in the city, even with a Culligan unit there. Expensive, but worth every penny.

o

I would go with Iron treatment, that shoots chlorine in the well to kill your bacterial Iron (sounds like what you have don't know w/o you testing it).

And prefilter and water softener.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here