Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morselofjoy_gw

Roof Color for white farmhouse?

morselofjoy
10 years ago

I have narrowed down the shingle color selection for our farmhouse to one of two colors sold by Tamco - Shadow Grey or Oxford Grey. If you are experienced in helping select roof colors or if you have a strong opinion please vote for one of the two colors HERE or just leave a reply to this post on Garden Web and share your opinion. I have finalized selections for almost everything else for the build but I am really struggling with making a final decision on the roof color. As always, your insights are appreciated!

Thanks,
Morselofjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Which roof color looks best on a white farmhouse?

Comments (9)

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

If you can not decide I would interpret that to mean that both choices hold an equal value to you. If that is true than I would say flip a coin.

The range of difference is already extremely small and the choice is subjective and may change because of any number of factors such as other elements like shutter or door colors or time of day or year or anyone's mood at the time.

I think that the darker will give it a tiny bit of a newer striking look and the lighter will give it a tiny bit more of an aged mellow look.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

I had the same thought as Virgil and in the same order!

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Virgil is correct on all counts. Gray, unless you're talking plain galvanized steel, isn't a farmhouse color.

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

I suppose it has to do with ones view of what a "farmhouse" is.

When I Google Farmhouse pictures I would say about 90% or more have grey roofs. Yes, many are metal but grey just the same.

However I do like red and green also. I think those are bolder choices which would give it more distinction.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Red and green asphalt shingles were traditionally cheap roofing materials and, thus, frequently used for barns and other utilitarian buildings as the least expensive way to roof a building in many parts of the U.S.

Corrugated galvanized sheet metal panels became commonly used as inexpensive siding and also for inexpensive roofing for utilitarian buildings in many parts of the world.

Crimped and standing rib metal panels, in a wide range of finishes from simple galvanized to on-site painting to factory baked enamel, were developed for more durable and longer lasting, albeit more expensive and sophisticated roofing options.

All of these have a simple and utilitarian look to them, suitable for houses that are straight forward and unaffected, as a true farmhouse is.

Good luck with your project.

• jdez
    10 years ago

Just plain galvalume metal would be my vote.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Reconsider dark green. Lovely on a white farm house.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm always partial to a red roof on a white house with a red barn the same color as the roof out back. That just says farmhouse. On the other hand, all of the local historic 1800 Southern farmhouses are all white with green roofs and green shutters to match. Usually with a black door. The 1850 brick plantation house where I recently attended a wedding had plain galvalume. Not sure what it had originally, but the roof was from the 60's. The modern additions also used that to tie them together.