Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graceshan_gw

beachy craftsman front door & barn style doors

graceshan
12 years ago

I currently have two dilemmas.

Our home style is beachy craftsman. For the front door we have room for the 36" door, two 10" sidelights and a 10" transom on top. I really want something that feels beachy or craftsmany, but the issue is that we need room for a mail slot and all the craftsman style doors I see are not conducive to a mail slot in the middle. I also like a reasonable amount of privacy with the door (no windows or just windows up top) but half to full windows in the sidelights are fine and of course we want windows in the transom. Our home color will be hardie boothbay blue and lots of white trim. Any ideas?

Secondly, we have an office off our living room and I'd LOVE to put the barn style sliding doors there. However my husband is concerned about the sound issue if he's in the office talking on the phone, etc. Right now we are slated to have french doors. Any thoughts on the barn style doors and if the sound is significantly more noticeable than with french doors?

Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: our home building blog

Comments (9)

• babs711
    12 years ago

I just subscribed to your blog! We're going to start our build soon so it'll be nice to follow it to see your progress. I like it!

Here are some photos I've saved to my Pinterest folder. They may give you some ideas?

This is kind of the ultimate beachy craftsman house to me and (a lot of people in the blogosphere apparently):

{{gwi:1513587}}
    {{gwi:1513588}}

Here's another example with more privacy on the sidelights. You could easily envision this with a transom above:
    {{gwi:1513589}}

This appears to be the same door as the one in the beachy/craftsman house above but without the transom and sidelights. I think you could alter the surrounding treatments in many ways:
    {{gwi:1513590}}

Here is a variation on a traditional door that contains a mail slot. It has the transom above. But you could add sidelights to it:
    {{gwi:1513591}}

A traditional door with a mail slot with a transom. I can imagine it with sidelights:
    {{gwi:1513592}}

An inside view but this looks nice:
    {{gwi:1513593}}

You could do something like this where the mail slot will fit nicely down low in between the squares:
    {{gwi:1513594}}
    {{gwi:1513595}}
    {{gwi:1513596}}

I really do like the top option the best (though the slot would just be inserted on the door and not between anything I suppose) and think with divided lights it would work great too. I'm thinking about a similar door for our home. You could do any of the doors in a deep charcoal gray, black or stained...

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

• graceshan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for the help! It's funny because I have some of the same doors pinned on my board too :)
    I didn't think about putting the mail slot up high like that. Interesting...

I started getting serious about my search and found this door which has a somewhat craftsman feel to it and a spot for a mail slot:

I kind of like this one too, although I'm not sure what sidelights would look good with it:

As far as the barn doors... my hubby said to just go ahead and do it. So I'm excited about that!

• graceshan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I went to the door store and unfortunately the mail slot won't fit in all the door options I picked out (without customizing at a higher cost). So I had to find one with a wider area for mail. This one works:

I can get 10" sidelights and 10" transom too. All with the seedy baroque style glass which I like. So I hope it looks beachy enough. Definitely looks craftsman :)

I also showed the door store the "barn style" doors I was looking for and for some reason they only have exterior doors that fit the bill. I'm trying to find some interior doors that have the beadboard & window look like this:

Anyone know where to find interior doors that have this style?

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

I would bet the barn style door is custom made. Dependent on where you live, a local woodworker would be able to make the door. In our area there are numerous Amish and Mennonite woodworkers that are very inexpensive.

• graceshan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, I got some quotes from local woodworkers and they want over $1500 per door not including hardware. I need to move to your area!

• babs711
    12 years ago

Architectural salvage yards. That would be the first place I'd hit for barn doors. Or I'd get an interior door without the windows...

• andi_k
    12 years ago

I think I am losing my mind bc I thought I posted the barn doors hardware link earlier today!

We are getting an interior barn door from this place and they do custom doors at a very reasonable price. If I recall, our quote is not much more then their standard costs.

Www.barndoorshardware.com

• graceshan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh great. Thanks Andi. I sent off a request for a quote!