Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buildiva22

Exterior Lighting - Gas vs Electricity

buildiva22
11 years ago

I'm trying to decide what to use for exterior lighting. Love the look of the flickering light provided by gas lighting but am concerned about the monthly gas price. I was told before that the monthly gas price on gas lantern can be up to $30 per month since it is always on constantly. What are your experiences with gas lighting? And for those who are using that in your existing home, it will be great if you can share your monthly cost.

I have also heard that you can install the lights in a way that you can use it as gas or electric lights interchangeably or gas lighting that actually allows the flexibility to be turned off if needed to save cost. Any information will be appreciated!

Comments (10)

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

I LOVE the look of it, but electric is common for my neighborhood and cheaper. $360 a year is not much but it is money. So if it fits with the "hood" then yes. If not, I think it is one of those things that you think about during building and never think about once you are living day to day.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I would think that electric lighting is much safer...if you need a flicker, you can get a flicker bulb

• buildiva22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for the info! Does a flicker bulb provide the same look as the gas one?

• david_cary
    11 years ago

When I had a gas lamp, it was sensed and was not on all the time. I think the #'s on cost are way high. But of course it depends whether it is NG or propane. Our neighborhood has two rows of 10 lights each that turn on at dusk. Our gas cost is not that much.

• buildiva22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks david_cary. When you said your gas lamp was on sensor, is it the same thing as the ignition? If not, can you please share more info?

@athensmom, if you have new info soon on your gas bill, let me know! =) I checked with a lighting company today and they told me it will be $8 per month per light, much lower than what I was told previously.

• buildiva22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Athesmom,wondering what your gas bill has been like with you gas lights if you don't mind sharing it. How many of gas lanterns you have? Thx.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Small flickering gas flames do not throw a lot of light (unless they are also throwing a lot of carbon monoxide and are yellow).

They have to get pretty large to provide much light.

• cvazqu
    10 years ago

We have two gas lanterns on our current house and they add about $40 to our bill per month. As was mentioned, they don't provide much light at all. For our almost-finished new house, we did all electric and I'm very happy with that decision.

• Monica Russo
    2 years ago

Most folks with gas lamps probably aren’t concerned with paying an extra $40 a month. Hence, why you usually see them in the toniest and most exclusive neighborhoods… If you love the look of gas, don’t cheap out and get a electric flicker light. They look gauche and nothing like a real gas flame. You’d be better off with a standard electric bulb if that is the case.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?