Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Brick cleaner got NMD80 on our copper flashing...

threeapples
10 years ago

He neglected to cover all our flashing and its now black instead of copper colored. I do realize copper oxidizes, but I worry this brick cleaning chemical may have damaged our flashing. The online specs for this detergent all say copper needs to be covered. Now what? How do we know if its damaged and, if so, how do we fix this? Thanks!

Comments (21)

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

threeapples,

That is a real drag. It is bad enough you had to chase the mason so he could clean up his mortar messes, but now he has damaged your copper. How big of a piece did he damage? Can you call the manufacturers of the copper to see what they say? I hope it won't come to needing to remove and replace a part of the copper, but it might.

On the bright side, did you get the mortar safely off the bricks? Do they look better? Can you tell us what brick cleaning product was used?

Carol

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The brick is being cleaned a year after installation. The mason didnt bother to clean it.

The brick cleaner is using NMD80 and did not protect the copper flashing, which is extensive, and has turned black. He also did not cover Orr clad Marvin windows. How do I know if the windows are damaged? The copper came from a local Amish outfit. I doubt they know what to do about it.

I emailed the brick cleaner. I'm pretty upset. How can I determine if the copper is damaged or if this acid just caused a very accelerated oxidation?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

That could be bad; NMD80 is hydrochloric acid plus other secret ingredients (detergents) You might want to neutralize any remaining acid on the copper with something. At least it wasn't aluminum flashing, because that would have been trashed.
    Casey

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Well if that cleaner trashes aluminum your windows may be in trouble since you say they are clad and that cladding is definitely aluminum.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

pictures would be helpful

best of luck

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The windows look the same as they did before so there is really nothing to illustrate with photos. How do I know if the clad has been damaged if all looks ok?
    Thanks.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I would call the manufacturer of the product and ask them how to tell as they should know since they have the disclaimer.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like he ruined our bronze threshold and handle set. The painter covered part of it with tape recently, which illustrates what it looked like before the brick cleaner got all over it. I'm really disappointed.

The threshold sits beneath our door and side light panels. Can you replace the threshold without removing th door and side light unit? Ugh.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Oh what a nightmare for you, threeapples. Get a quote to fix the damages so you can total up the losses. What does the brick cleaner say about his serious neglect? Do you still have a GC, are you know your own GC at this point? Have you paid the brick cleaner in full?

Our bricks also have mortar on them in spots. I will be very afraid of using that acid cleaner.

I hope you find a solution.

Carol

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brick cleaner has been paid half. Yes, we still have our builder overseeing the build.

Here is the threshold showing untouched areas and areas where the cleaner pitted the bronze.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Oh dear, that looks pretty bad. What does your GC say about all this? Dare I ask if the mortar marks at least came off and if the bricks are okay and not damaged?

Carol

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The brick looks great. The threshold and doorknow do not. I just learned that we cannot replace the threshold without taking off the whole door and its surround, which would be a disaster. I'm livid.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

I hope you are not going to pay that brick cleaner a cent more. Wow, I can't believe how much damage he has done. I would be livid too!!! So sorry!

Carol

• worthy
    10 years ago

The cleaning company clearly ignored the product's architectural specs. To wit:

"3.02
    PROTECTION
    A. Protect adjacent and surrounding surfaces not intended to be cleaned from exposure to the cleaning chemical to prevent damage.

B. Prevent cleaning chemical from coming into contact with people, motor vehicles, landscaping and other building materials that could be harmed by such contact.

...."

I just learned that we cannot replace the threshold without taking off the whole door and its surround.

I used to think that was the case when I had a damaged threshold on a new home. But then I came across a tradesman who made a living replacing thresholds for new subdivision builders. Talk about a speciality!

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The NMD80 product spec sheet warns against getting this on metal and says metal should be protected. Our Rocky Mountain doorknob set is pitted and water/solution came into the keyhole, rusted parts, and dripped down the interior side of the door!

Nope, he's not getting another dime. We are going to call a meeting with him.

My worry is the windows--how will we know if the clad is damaged? The aluminum is painted white, and you can't see any damage now, but that might not mean the acids didn't cause slow-growth damage? Any ideas?

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

I don't have much to add other than words of support. You have been to hell and back with this build. We had a terrible experience with our new home and I can finally say it feels home after living here 15 months.

Just this weekend hubby was in the attic and found the range hood pipe is vented into the attic. The vent is installed in the roof, but the installers did not connect the pipe! Our hardwood flooring was laid in the same direction as the floor joists so we have squeaks and lots of movement, and one last issue is the water damage because they installed the washer without the "O" ring. They thought it was a washerless connection. The last error is about $15,000 in damage. Fortunate for us we have a great insurance company. Did I forget to mention the builder declared bankruptcy and walked away when the house was just closed in?

Stay strong and stand your ground. All it would take the bricker is extra time to cover everything. And they probably charge by the hour!

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience, too. I'm
    Happy, though, that you are mostly settled.

I love our house, but the stress with this stuff is pretty bad. Our builder has been really helpful lately and that is a huge help. We mostly just want to be done, though I can't let go of stuff like this.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

The windows may be protected by the coating on the aluminum, which sounds like Kynar or something like that. (Since it is opaque so they look like painted wood.) If they were anodized I think you would be in trouble. You will probably want to call (Marvin?) to find out.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I would definitely call Marvin adn also the company that makes NMD80 and find out how it reacts on aluminum with a Kynar finish.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

I think if anodized it actually would be fine, but if it seeped under the coating to bare mill-finish aluminum, it will corrode.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Anodized would be worse sombreuil, I see people all the time who get deck cleaner on anodized material and it ruins the finish dam near every time (of course they say no it was protected and a warranty issue but the mfr runs a test and the results are the same every time). Kynar or a Powder Coated finish would actually have a better chance if surviving although I will say I know absolutely nothing about the NMD80 cleaner.