Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leeper_family

Looking for a builder in the Indianapolis area

leeper_family
9 years ago

Can anyone recommend a builder in the Indianapolis area?

The wife and I have decided to relocate back to the Indy area (Fishers or Carmel) from the Chicagoland area and we are looking for a builder.

What we want:

We would like a 4 bedroom, ~2300 SQ Ft. house with a basement.

.25 acre or smaller lot

Mud room / washer-dryer area between garage and house
2 car garage.

Looking to spend in the $200-$250K region.

Basically we would like to build what we consider a modest, comfortable home that will not break the bank, but will also be something that we will be happy in for many years.

I have seen some mention of Amish builders in the Columbus, OH area but as we are currently not in Indy I have not been able to find out any relevant information.

Almost all of the builders that we have contacted will not start projects below $400K.

Thanks

Comments (3)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Do you actually have a plan from an architect? Builders generally won't even talk anything but ballpark $$ without a plan of some sort. Bear in mind that building generally has a premium for getting what you want versus buying existing. 30-50% more. $100 a square foot is a very modest, square home, with builder grade amenities.

• rrah
    9 years ago

Knowing that area fairly well, I think you should focus your efforts on the Fishers area or begin looking at tract homes in Westfield. I really don't think you'll be able to buy a lot and build even a basic custom house that size for that price in those places. Lots in Fishers start in the $40,000 range and go up from there. Costs are less expensive in Indy than the Chicago area, but under/around $100/sq foot with a basement is pushing it.

I know lots of Chicagoans end up in Fishers/Carmel, but I think you should expand your options. Brownsburg in Hendricks County has changed a lot in the last 20 years, and is more affordable than Fishers or Carmel. Lots of young families in the area.

I'm not aware of any Amish builders in the Indianapolis area, and having worked with some Amish in the past. I don't think they will travel from Columbus, OH to Indianapolis for work. That's about 4 hours of travel time. There are several Amish builders in the Odon/Washington area of Indiana that often work in Bloomington. I suspect Indy is too far for them. They need to contract a driver daily to travel to job sites.

We moved from the Chicago area also.

Sorry this response moved towards some real estate advice, but living in Indiana I know the area and prices around Indianapolis.

• leeper_family
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We do not currently have a plan from an architect.

We have located a lot that we like but it did not make sense to purchase the lot if we cannot find a builder.

Maybe we are doing it all wrong? Could be but that is why we are here asking questions. Hoping to learn from others that have experienced this.

With regards to Indy. We know the area well as we lived there for 15+ yrs. We recently moved up here to the Chicagoland area to give it a try but have decided that we prefer Indy.

So any other advise? We have seen sites like Ubuildit and others we are looking for as many suggestions as possible.

Thanks