Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jendien

Please give feedback on Floorplan

jendien
11 years ago

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. We are close to finalizing our floor plan and would love any feedback / comments before we move to the detailed specification / estimation stage.

A little background:

1. We are currently a family of 3 with a 6 year old, but are hoping/trying to become a family of four.

2. We are building on just over an acre lot in eastern Wisconsin- the back looks out onto prairie/pond so we have tried to maximize view from great room and dinng area.

3. Design will be 2650 sq ft ranch with either exposed or walk-out lower level. This is Floorplan for main level. We may or may not finish lower level right away.

4. Hubby loves split-bedroom floor plan but i did not want to have to walk across house if we have another baby - so flex room near master that could function as office/nursery/playroom was compromise. Then, rather than formal dinng room, we made sure bump-out off kitchen was sized to fit our formal dinng table with leaf in and our buffet.

We have made several revisions and feel good about plans. We are debating location of deck and doors to deck. Door to deck was originally planned off left side of dinng nook - I had moved to French doors off great room. Now second-guessing that decision. Also debating whether to put deck on other side of house, as current location covers the windows on lower level.

Any opinions on this issue or other suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance to all!!!

Comments (16)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

If I were you...
    I'd put your master closet along the fireplace wall (sound barrier and also to gain a window wall in your master).

Also, your laundry looks like a good spot until you realize how far away it is from the bedrooms.... Any way to get it from the bedroom hall instead of the mud hall?

More later.

• jendien
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for quick response. Great observations. For the bedroom, the wall with the closet because is a north-facing wall and a neighbor-facing wall - so window wouldn't add much light and would have privacy concerns. My thought was to have the bed on that wall...although I suppose we could do a window on that wall ABOVE the bed...food for thought.

Good point on laundry room. Torn because I also like idea of having wet kids/husbands be able to put their wet stuff directly into laundry room after coming into house. Hard to see but there is clothing pass-through in corner of laundry room for incoming clothes - wondering if we could do a similar pass-through above the counter adjacent to that space where kids could "fetch" their baskets of clean clothes.

Keep 'em coming and thank you!

• bjewell1
    11 years ago

I love this plan. If my budget were big enough to have a house this size, it would be perfect. That's a good idea for the laundry pass-through. Personally I'd prefer the doors to the deck off the dining room, just because they seem far from the kitchen. But then again, if people were sitting at the table, it might be difficult to get by.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Does this plan have a basement and upstairs? (ie, is there any need for thought about storage,etc under the stair landing)?

• chispa
    11 years ago

Bedrooms 2 & 3 - move the closets to inside walls so you can get more/larger windows ... they look like prison cells with small windows. And who wants a view of the driveway? That poor kid will get headlights in their room when people drive in/out at night.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

If the neighbor is on the left side, then that's the perfect side for the garage as a buffer. I'm not fond of the garage in front of the house syndrome, especially when you have some property to place it properly. So, I'd actually flip the plan and pull the garage back from the face of the house and then try to work the laundry room into a laundry/pantry/mud room combo that could use less square footage overall but end up being more versatile.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Does a family of three really need a 3-car garage?

Just curious...

There are a lot of rather strange things about this plan. For example the corridor and entry to the MBR; very limited, narrow access to MBR closet; access to/entry for laundry; second stairs vicinity of garage.

Seems like the plan could be more efficient and enjoyable.

Good luck on your project.

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

Could you flip the plan? As things are now, you have very few windows with a Southern exposure, and I think your house may end up being darker than you might like. I'm building in the North too (MN), and when I looked into it, I was surprised to see that for a big part of the year the sun is always to the South, and lower in the sky than I would have guessed. Between your garage and the dining room, a lot of the windows are shielded from the Southern sun, which would be appropriate in the South, but might not be ideal up here. Once you flip the plan, you could put the closet on the fireplace wall, and the window you'd gain would really be worth something. :)

• kelhuck
    11 years ago

I concur with others re: moving the master closet to the FP wall (which would eliminate the awkward hallway and give you more bedroom). I would also add a W/D hookup in the closet or bathroom area for a future stacked set if the trek ever gets too long.

I also agree with the garage sticking out the front. I'd like to see the kids' bedrooms slid around to the front and the garage off to the side with the mudroom, laundry and "back hall" rearranged. Perhaps doing this would allow you to put the deck off the dining room/behind new garage location.

Separate the ovens and Ref on that wall so that there's a landing space between the two.

I see lots of potential for the layout. Keep working on it; I think you're close!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

"Wet hubby and wet kids" Wet from what? (honest question). Are they swimmers? Just snow melt? I wonder if it would be better to have the pass-thru for the wet stuff rather than the bedrooms.

Also, you haven't said yet--where do the stairs lead? I ask because I think there is some unused under-stair space, particularly under that garage set (and toward the laundry room). Can you tuck the machines under the stair, for example and still have enough space to get true access to the back hallway?

I also agree, if your house is too near the neighbor on the left to need to make that window a closet, then perhaps you should flip your layout. Also, how will your guests get to your front door? I am betting most will use you man door/garage entry since that is where the driveway will be and otherwise they'd have to walk around the huge "nose" of the 3 car garage (unless you have a circle drive/second drive).

What is the plan there?

What sorts of things do you store in your pantry? I ask because I find it interesting you are accessing your pantry from the dining side instead of the garage side. If it were me, again, I'd access from the garage entry to make putting away groceries/unloading my costco loads easier.

Your cubbies are viewable from the great room/kitchen area. Do you keep them tidy? In a lot of ways it may make sense to swap locations of the powder room/WIC and laundry room... Or rework that back area for that potential. Both the powder room and WIC are more shielded from view than your open cubbies. Just a thought.

• jendien
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love this forum! Just got back from a movie and lots of ideas. Thank you so much for taking your time with this!

Master Suite/Closet - Thanks all for feedback - in last set of revisions, we asked for changes to plan to address some funky roofline issues, and the closet moved + got longer/ narrower. You've called out some good issues that we should consider - Thank you!

Kirkhall - no upstairs, yes basement. Lots of storage in basement.

North/South orientation - flipping the plan was considered and robustly debated early in the build process...made list of pros and cons both ways and we decided to keep as is. Zone4newby - lack of Southern exposure IS a concern we have; our thought is to add skylights/solar tubes to address. Also, we will have neighbors on both sides, so no real advantage of flipping layout from that respect.

Garage/bedroom placement: First, we have some limitations as our covenants require a side-facing garage. In current layout, the back bedroom will be our daughter's room. I like the position of her bedroom at the back of the house - she has a window overlooking the pond w/ a built-in desk, and it's a little more private. The front bedroom will be a guest bedroom initially. However - I agree that I don't love the garage that sticks out front, but was prepared to live with it. Would love a way to keep that back bedroom but make the garage less prominent.

As to the 3-car garage - I am trying to sell a house w/ a 2-car garage now + it's a liability in our area - Wisconsinites have a lot of toys (snowmobiles, boats, lawnmowers, snowblowers etc) and need a place to put them. Even entry-level houses here have 3-car garages.

Thanks again to all!

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Looks like it will be very difficult to get master bedroom furniture into the bedroom.

• jendien
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hubby and have now reopened the conversation about whether to flip the bedroom/garage orientation and are leaning towards it.

Kirkwall, per your other questions -
    - Hubby sails, daughter ice skates and swims.
    -stairs from garage lead to basement -
    - driveway will need be in a Y or circle configuration for the reason you state.
    - good comments on pantry/cubbies/laundry room - need some work I'm this area. Off to Houzz for ideas!

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Your stairs look to be too short and too steep for comfort and convenience! Have you checked them?

• Linda Gomez
    11 years ago

We too, have a plan with the view out the back and have the same configuration from left to right. In our great room I've got a row of windows with a glass door hugging the right-hand corner. Think about doing the same, unless you HAVE to have the French doors. It keeps that area as living space since you wouldn't have a walk area through the middle of the room. Also, with windows we can get great air circulation and keep the windows open.

I don't mind the garage in front. Your main living will be out the back.

• Linda Gomez
    11 years ago

We too, have a plan with the view out the back and have the same configuration from left to right. In our great room I've got a row of windows with a glass door hugging the right-hand corner. Think about doing the same, unless you HAVE to have the French doors. It keeps that area as living space since you wouldn't have a walk area through the middle of the room. Also, with windows we can get great air circulation and keep the windows open.

I don't mind the garage in front. Your main living will be out the back.