11 years ago

What do you think of this layout?

This is our wishlist

3 bedrooms

split bedrooms

2 1/2 baths

large master closet

mudroom

any other layouts suggestions would be helpful.

We also would like a 3 car garage but dont want it to overtake the house. The land we have looked at is surrounded by other houses with a 3 car garage so it could be a resell factor in the future as well

Comments (15)

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been looking at a lot of layouts online and I know what I don't want. Its just hard finding what I do want.

I don't understand why they put windows in master closets. That is one thing I really hate.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Sorry, I am not seeing a layout. Is there a link?

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

can you see it now

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Hi gingerjenny-it's there now. The plan we like has that too and it will likely be covered to combat fading but will be nice to open for fresh air. Not sure about it myself. Are you concerned about noise from kitchen to master? Powder room is visible from kitchen, not sure if you'll like that or not. Good luck - I've spent my fair share of hours looking on line too!

What are your sq footage requirements?

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Not liking the powder room visibility, but you could always flip flop the powder room and mud/laundry room. Where do the stairs go? Not sure how you can add on a third garage stall without having it overtake the house. How do the other houses in the neighborhood handle it?

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

Have you seen an elevation? I think the roof is going to have to be huge.

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

before the powder room was next to the laundry but you had to enter through the laundry. It is mostly for guests when having dinner in the dining room. I like the idea of flipping them though. Not sure of cost of moving with plumbing. shouldn't be much.

I'm not really concerned with noise from the kitchen to the master. The stairs in front of the foyer go down to the basement.

The roof line is rather large i think but its hard to tell from the elevation.

If I get rid of the jack and jill bathroom and just make it a regular bath I may get rid of the 1/2 bath. The 1/2 bath is just for guests..i'm sure we might use it now and then but mostly for guests. I didn't want them having to go into the kids baths.

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like to keep the house at around 2000 sq feet. I think this may be around 2006.

• Oaktown
    11 years ago

Another member was working on a similar plan recently, you might consider comparing notes.

Here is a link that might be useful: eichgirl's post

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

As well, this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kathi67

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you think there is a way to make a separate laundry room without getting rid of the cubbies? I know what happens in my current laundry room. baskets end up everywhere in the laundry area. Mostly sitting in front of the washer and dryer with clothes everywhere. If we enter through the garage it will be a pain stepping over. I know the solution is to keep my laundry caught up but not always possible.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

scroll down on the Kathi67 one and you will see a separated laundry with some room for cubbies still...

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yeah i saw that layout which got me thinking more about mine. lol I don't think it will fit in my current layout without removing the powder room. If I remove the powder room I think I could have a separate laundry "room" instead of just an area. Which would you rather have? I really don't want to get much bigger on the sq feet. I feel like expanding would cut into the master closet.

Maybe i could get rid of the powder room and guests could just use the kids bathroom if i made that not be a jack and jill.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

You might also assess what is more important-- a HUGE master WIC in a house this size, or a well-functioning laundry room.

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol :) A huge walk in closet is more important!