Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Exterior SW Paint Colors

Posted by hideout (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 16:07

We need help picking Sherwin Williams Paint colors for our new modern home. We are thinking the main body and trim and large sofit all Eider White and the bump out Iron Ore. It seems to contrasting to me. What are your ideas? Thanks for any help.
The materials are hardi panels and hardi lap siding. The front door will be stainless steel and the roof metal. Let me know if you need more pictures of back too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Exterior SW Paint Colors

I immediately thought of a deep gray upon seeing the photo, so I tend to think you should use Iron Ore on more of the body. Can you do some mock ups of various color combinations?

o

I can see at least 2 main colors on the body of the house...a dark gray, and a red/rust/orange.

But I can see adding a 3rd color like a bright green or an off white. I think the saturated colors look so great on a modern building like that.

This blue with the green and the red chairs looks great.

o

I do think what you describe is too much of a contrast although I don't know the exact look of the paint colors. Your roof introduces a 3rd color.

I love the look of your house. Don't see a lot of contemporary on here.

o

I do think what you describe is too much of a contrast although I don't know the exact look of the paint colors. Your roof introduces a 3rd color.

I love the look of your house. Don't see a lot of contemporary on here.

o

Dark grey on the garage to make it recede Granite Peak?). A lighter grey (Ice Cube?)or white on the house body. And eggplant (Grape Harvest?) on the bumpout. Or a earthy green. Or the orangey red suggested. The facia should be the roof color (steel roof?) which would be great in a color like a grayed teal or bluey gray almost the color of the gray garage for a bit of color blocking effect.

o

Everything except bump out iron ore and bump out eyecatching. Could also picture soffit in a lighter grey.

o

I am NOT a colour expert, but I I bought a book that reveals top tried and tested SW colours which I have found very helpful. The two dark gray colours suggested in the book are Mink SW 6004 (a graphite gray which goes with reds and violets and has violet undertones); and Peppercorn SW 7674 which goes with blue, white and red.

Good luck.

Carol

o

Thanks for suggestions. We want to keep it clean and simple - here are a few mock -ups from SW Paint website. Keep a dark trim or go light?

o

Keep trim light?

o

Back of house with light trim and a little gray - we switched to Grizzle Gray to blend more with the Eider White. Large silver gutters will run along roof line and garage door is all glass with aluminum clear anodized.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here