Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckymommy1

First floor plan review requested

luckymommy1
10 years ago

Hello folks,

I am looking for thoughts on our first floor plan. We will have 5 bedrooms upstairs and a basement as well. A little about us and what we are looking for:

House is primarily home for 6 people and probably a dog in the future. Kids are 3 girls ( ages 7, 9 and 11) and one boy (age 7). We plan to be in this house at least until all the kids are out of high school.

We want to be the house where the kids hang out with their friends. That's what the basement is for. The family room and patio will be the adult hang outs.

I love to cook and we love to entertain small groups.

My FIL visits a few times a year and is in a wheelchair.

Back of the house faces south. We live in Virginia. This will be on a one acre lot.

A few comments that aren't reflected on the plan:
The flex room is a guest bedroom where my FIL and MIL stay.
We are working with the builder to reorganize the bathroom so that it is accessible.
This will include repositioning the door so it is farther away from the kitchen.
We are making the mudroom a foot wider and putting a bench / drop zone with shoe storage and cubbies above for sports equipment and shelves for charging stations. we will also have small counter area for mail / school papers in the mudroom in place of the current coat closet. We have a coat closet in our current house and no one in my family takes the time to open the closet and hang up coats, so we will have many, many hooks instead.

The stairs to the basement are going where the other coat closet is currently, so we are loosing that be too. I would be open to adding a small closet somewhere else if you can find a spot without adding to the footprint :).

The butler's pantry will be a counter with cabinets above and cabinets and a beverage fridge below.

I think that's it. Thanks in advance for the comments and feedback. Your guys are really good a this from what I have read in other posts!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• methoddesigns
    10 years ago

It is a very nice basic layout. Looks like there might be some dead space between the island and living. About the only place I see to add a coat closet is behind the pantry, unless you change up the dining or library.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Garage: How cool that you have a 3-car garage, but only 2 bays dedicated to cars! That means all the bikes etc. will not scratch up the cars. You might want to make that door extra wide or a double-door to accommodate the in-and-out of bikes, and golf cart if you get one for FIL and MIL to cruise the property.

You might want to build it so that you can, perhaps, add a garage door if the kids get a car...it's not long off!

Mudroom: I agree with the mudroom being mostly hooks; no one uses the closet in our house, only the hooks; I'm planning to take out the closet but keep cabinets for the "stuff": batteries, sunscreen, bug spray, caps, etc.

Inlaw suite: Perhaps put the door on the back of the mudroom wall, instead of flush with the soon-to-be-gone closet door. Makes a little more of an entrance, so it looks less like a closet from the hall. This might allow the door to open further to accommodate the wheelchair. You might want to include an egress, just in case. Also, where is the accessible entrance to the house, a ramp? You could quietly incorporate it along the garage to the front porch, if you pull the porch and posts out a bit and if you don't have a step from the porch into the foyer.

Remember to add a window, perhaps a French door for egress, facing the back yard for the in-law's room.

Basement: Include a bathroom in the basement for the kids, it'll be great for sleepovers.

FR: I kind of don't mind the dead space between the island and FR; the kids can make a mess there without getting it on the FR furniture, or they can just gather without being on the island, and it opens up the flow.

Library: How do you plan to use the library? Maybe add a window to the side? It could be a high window with bookcases below. Maybe a window in the turn of the stairs, too.

Seems like a nice family house :)

• luckymommy1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the great thoughts! Yes, there is a bit of dead space between the rooms. My thought was that the change of ceiling height and furniture arrangement would create a natural split in the rooms. And that area will be the main traffic space for this floor. We have thought about some sort of architectural element to break it up a bit, but not sure what hat could be that wont net refer with traffic flow.

In the garage, we are framing out a full garage door, just in case!

We are going to get a temporary ramp for the front stoop for when he visits. I love the idea of moving the door to the guest room as it is currently a dead end. Will definitely add another window on the opposite wall for ths room and one for the library. This will be an "away" room for reading or kids' homework. Something cozy and quiet with comfy chairs and a big ottoman and a small, simple desk facing the front window.

Keep the ideas coming!

This post was edited by luckymommy1 on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 23:18

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Very functional layout.
    I just want to point out that from the island seating (in the kitchen) one can see the toilet of the bathroom. Maybe consider flipping the bathroom layout or figuring out some other means of "obscuring" that view. :) (move the door, or put tub against nook wall, or swap sink and toilet location with door centered.)
    I'd love a peak at the upstairs!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Regarding the ramp, my dad incorporated a ramped entry from the driveway to the back patio of their new house for my grandmother's wheelchair. It is part of the design, so it is of the same material as the patio, with landscaping around. Not only was it easier for Grandma, but it was handy for moving furniture! And of course the little kids loved it. And we didn't have to set up and take down a temporary ramp (she lived next door, so that wouldn't have been practical, anyway!)

Consider incorporating it into your design! A point that is often brought up here is that you never know if someone in your household breaks an ankle! Since you already have an occasional need, look into it.

• bpath
    10 years ago

As I quick-mopped the kitchen floor this morning, I wondered, do you keep a sponge mop on hand, or do you use a Swiffer? With kids there's always cleanup! Will you keep the Swiffer/quick vac/etc in the pantry? Maybe you'll want a sink in the garage for muddy boots?

• luckymommy1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I definitely need a spot for brooms, etc and I was thinking behind the pantry door. I am changing that door to a swing door, btw.

I am freaking out about seeing the toilet from the island. Gross. So I have asked the designer to slide the door down when he rearranges in for better access anyway. Great catch!

As or the ramp, I think we are still going to do a temp ramp since he is only here a couple weeks out of the year, but we are positioning the house on the lot so that the front entry will only ave a couple if stairs. So hopefully it will be a short ramp. But, if it doesn't turn out as planned, you have given me the thought f maybe doing something into the patio... Thank you!

I have attached a messy version of the upstairs. I needed to hand edit as we are waiting for a few changes to be incorporated. Any feedback s welcome!

We changed one of the shared kids bathrooms to create a private sink and toilet area for my son (bedroom 5). This way he only has to wait on one future teenage girl to shower vs wait on her for the whole bathroom :).

The closet off the m bath at the front of the house will be for suitcases, Xmas presents and other storage items we either want to lock up or not go in the attic.

Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

My main comment on the second floor (so far) is that the master toilet room (or any toilet room where there is only floor space infront of the door) should have an outswing or pocket style door so as not to create an entrapment hazard when/if someone has a medical emergency in that tiny room. (If that happens, they body falls against the door/in the way of where the door must swing to open. Hinges are also on the inside of an inswing door, so EMTs cannot just remove the door from the hinges to get at a person who is in need of help, and there is no where to "push" the body out of the way of the door swing to open it.)

Also, the master toilet is a long way away from the master bed...

Finally, is the assumption that if there are cousins/friends over visiting, that they will use whatever bathroom their friend's room is connected to? I don't see that any of the baths upstairs is hall accessible.

• DreamHomeDreamer
    10 years ago

Lovely plan overall. The butler's pantry with beverage fridge will be amazing.

Just a few tweeks I would make are to flop the full bath so that you don't have to look into the bathroom from the kitchen including your accessibility fix.

Do you plan to actually park in the garage? With a large family, I assume to have a longer vehicle. From what I can read, the garage depth is only about 18 or 19 feet. A 2013 Honda Odyessy is 16ft 10.7inches long. IMO, 22 feet deep is the minimum needed but the more the better. Extending the entire garage wall will get your FIL more room to move around the bed. Although I know that is a tough balance to figure what is enough to make him comfortable those couple of times a year without going over the top. Assuming you put a queen bed between those two windows (headboard between windows feet toward closet) - he will only have about 4 feet to get around the bed to the closet. It will also give you that extra foot (or go for two extra) that you wanted in the mudroom. Give two feet to your flex room and two feet to the mudroom IMO.

Would love to see the second floor, if you get a chance.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

(The second floor is posted about 3 posts up, in a link).

• luckymommy1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the second floor. Thanks!