Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tncraft

Mudroom / Lockers / Etc

tncraft
12 years ago

I have been modifying our mudroom/laundry room to make it as functional as possible. Here's the latest layout:

{{gwi:1513077}}

To the left of the mudroom/laundry is the kitchen.

Questions / Thoughts:

1. If you have lockers, do you also have a closet in the room?

2. On the 12" deep built-in, I'm thinking of:

(a) having our dog's eating area where her bowls are dropped into the first lowest shelf and have hooks for leash, etc.

(b) higher up, maybe add charging stations, mail shelves, etc?

(c) since I want it to go all the way to the 9' ceiling, the high shelves will be for additional storage for kitchen overflow

3. On the bigger built-in, I'm thinking of putting a typical locker. We hope to have 2 kids; our only kid is only 22mos old. The 5' wide locker is definitely not wide enough for 4 people (I think). This is why I have been questioning the coat closet in the room.

4. On the other hand, having additional closet storage for things like cleaning stuff, vacuum (or vacuum hose) would be good. So a part of me wants to narrow down the lockers.

5. What would you do with the corner space adjcaent to the 12" built-in and countertop? I've thought about making the counter overhang to 12" and lining it up to the 12" builtin. Also thought about leaving it open and maybe put a bench there or trash can or something.

WDYT? Looking forward for suggestions. :)

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

Why make formal lockers? Can you do something like this?

{{gwi:1513078}}

Source: via Dayna on Pinterest

btw--those hooks slide back and forth in this particular unit.

• worthy
    12 years ago

For myself, I would move the appliances to the longer wall with the sink in between. That still gives you room for counters and further storage. After 20- years in four homes I designed that way, I'm temporarily working with appliances on opposite walls. It's a minor inconvenience that I could do without.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

We did not do a closet in ours, we just did lockers. Our lockers are around 17 inches wide each and they seem plenty wide. We made our lockers start taller and put in an area underneath for dog crates and then atop the crates is a wooden bench to sit on. We also did a desk area with a charging station above it and a bulletin board for notes and such.

Future charging station:

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"For myself, I would move the appliances to the longer wall with the sink in between. "

I like it that way too... nice to have the sink right there.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

5' is not enough for 4 lockers. I would absolutely keep the coat closet. Do you have front loading machines? Will the machines have a folding counter above? I would eliminate all the counterspace next to the sink in favor of a broom closet next to the sink - cabinetry would be fine but a built in closet would work too.

I think most people have more than one coat and lockers are really a one coat deal - the one you wear most often. In the 5 foot space you could do hooks and a seat. I like the ones with the sliding hooks and two layers of them. That would easily cover 2 kids, lunchboxes, gym bags, coats, brief cases, etc.

I wouldn't lose the coat closet for the lockers. We have both and I think we will use them both extensively.

• xc60
    12 years ago

We did 4 lockers in 5'5 run, each locker is 15" and each divder is 1 1/4". The 15" are big enough for our needs. Each locker can hang 3 or 4 small jackets or hoodies plus 1 backpack easily. Now that it's winter each cubbie has 2-3 hoodies and a winter coat, snow pants and a backpack sitting on the shelf.

I think if you used 1" dividers it is possible to get 4 lockers in 5' but would also think about switching the lockers to your longer space.

Hope this helps:)

We also have two other huge closets for coat storage but use the cubbies the most, it's my favorite part of our new home. :)

• pps7
    12 years ago

I would visually close off the laundry space. If you put a wall there then you can put hooks to hang coats:

[traditional porch design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-porch-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_726~s_2107) by toronto general contractor HARDROCK CONSTRUCTION

Definately keep the closet. In fact, I would maybe make the closet bigger and get rid of built in next to it altogether. Or put a little desk and mail sorting center there. You can then move your charging station there and add still have storage. So many possibilities.

Some type of magnetic or message board is nice too.

[traditional entry design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-entryway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_741~s_2107) by seattle architect knowles ps

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all! Really great ideas. Yes, so many possibilities which is not always a good thing. It's driving me crazy now on what to choose. lol.

beaglesdoitbetter... Can you tell me the name of that granite? I've seen it before and have been thinking about using it somewhere in the house, but have no idea of the name. :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Sure. It is Rainforest Brown. There is also a rainforest green. They are actually serpentines, not granites.

All about rainforest brown