Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me simply this exterior

Posted by ellenandco (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 15:39

I think we may have too many materials going on here with stone, brick, Hardie plank and Hardie shingles. And a roof, too!

The rest of the house is all brick (lower level) and Hardie plank (upper level).

The brick I love is "Old St Luis" by Texas Brick. I also like Horizon Stone's "Shenandoah."

Anyone have any helpful opinions or ideas???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me simply this exterior

Too many materials, too many shapes and forms, too many types and proportions of windows, too many bulky roofs...

Best solution is to strive for some architectural and materials unity, including reworking much of the real and faux roof framing into fewer, more natural shapes and to limit materials to a "major" material and a complementary "supporting/secondary" material.

IMO, brick and stone seldom work well together, and you certainly don't need both horizontal lap siding plus shingle siding.

This is a good example of Mie's dictum, "Less is more"!

Good luck on your project.

o

I would eliminate corner boards on shingled walls, eliminate trim other than a projecting sub-sill a window (it will just look amateurish and draw water into the house), eliminate stone half walls (stone should always stop at a floor line, eliminate the triangular vents at the top of the pediments (use a ridge vent or seal the attic), eliminate the odd gable just behind the smaller gable, eliminate either the brick or the stone (or both) and add some space between paired windows instead of mulling them tightly together (something only a window salesman would think was appropriate). Why is the main roof so tall; what's hiding in there, a sea of trusses?

o

I appreciate your input, virgilcarter and renovator8. You both have a depth of knowledge that helps me and others.

Can you clarify which are the paired windows? The 12-lites or the 4-lites? Or both;)

I hadn't realized how tall that roof is. We have 4 bedrooms under there, mechanicals, and yes probably a sea of trusses as well.

o

Who is doing the design? You or a professional architect?

o

We are not designing this home ourselves. I like to use GW for a second set of eyes and to get ideas before I meet with the pros and get their input. Sometimes I even learn about issues I hadn't thought of bringing up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here