Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivy07

Please critique revised floorplan

ivy07
9 years ago

I posted my rough drawing some time ago and got some feedback here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0812571716273.html

Info about us: Both low 30's with 6 & 3 year old boys (possibly more in future). Front will face North. Home to be built on farmgroud (neither of us farm).

Below is the floorplan we currently have. This first floor is 2633 sq ft, which is bigger than we'd like it to be. Upstairs will just be a bonus room. We would like to finish most of the walkout basement with 2 bedrooms, bathroom, and rec room (rest will be unfinished storage).

Changes I'm already planning to make include:
-adding 2 ft to the left of the breakfast nook
-will probably move fridge to where oven is currently listed and just have stove/oven together instead of a separate oven/cook-top
-removing 3 ft from the back of the house (3ft will come out of the family room, 2ft from the bedrrom/1ft from the closet, 2ft from master shower/1ft from hall bathroom)

We would like the dining room to be a little larger and the foyer to be smaller, but moving the front door to the right throws off the symmetry of the front porch that I like.

Comments (7)

• ivy07
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is the front elevation.

• bpath
    9 years ago

How nice to build a home for your little boys to grow up in (my little boys are not so little any more, enjoy it!)

Do you really need a dining room? Here, and in the earlier plan it seems like it's included as a matter of convention, not out of any real desire or need for one. It's far away from the kitchen, and practically IN the foyer. Handy to eat and run, but not so cozy. Won't it always be nicer to eat in the space to the back with the great views?

What if the office just shifted to use that space? Reconfiguring the left hand space, maybe moving the stairs?

I really like the two bathrooms. The hall bath could use a window, though.

• amoore1205
    9 years ago

Have you thought about adding a window in the left corner of the kitchen. Looks like there is a small space for one. I'm all about views outside especially if you're building on farm land.

Master bath: I don't see a bath tub. Am I missing something? Also, it would be nice to add some upper windows above your vanity area for more natural light in the bathroom. I'm talking about small ones above your mirrors.

There are no linen closets/storage in the bathrooms for towels and toiletries. You could fit a linen closet easily in the front 1st floor bath.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I agree with the above poster that the dining room seems kind of "wasted". It's so open to the great room and the entry, and I fear it would not have a comfortable feel. That one little column will not really differentiate it from the great room. And it's so far to the kitchen. In contrast, your kitchen eating area -- set back in that nook, great windows -- has great potential to be a comfortable spot.

Your foyer seems very large, but it has no place to set a hall table. With so much foyer space, I wonder if it's possible to move the powder room over to this area. It'd be economical to bump it up against the laundry room, where you already have plumbing . . . and perhaps you could have a larger, more comfortable powder room (the one you've proposed isn't bad, but it is cramped).

I think I'd like the island better if it were rotated 90 degrees.

Consider this possibility to improve pantry access: Switch the staircase and the mudroom. This would allow a "back door" into the pantry -- saving you from carrying groceries around the corner and through the kitchen. Or, if you aren't willing to give up shelf space for a door, perhaps just a pass-through. An opening in the mudroom through which you could shove grocery bags . . . and then walk around and unpack them in the pantry.

Why two staircases? Stairs are quite expensive, and they're within sight of one another.

I'd consider a slider in the great room so that the door swing doesn't take up part of your room. I'd also extend the built-in on the left of the fireplace all the way to the back wall; otherwise, I think that little empty corner will just be wasted space.

I would be concerned about bringing large furniture down that bedroom hall . . . and making a sharp turn . . . if you didn't have the back door in the master. Do not lose that door! And you'll be able to bring the guest room furniture in through that door and straight into the guest room -- it'll just be a trek.

The master bedroom door seems kind of odd halfway down the hall. I'd put the door at one end of the hall or the other.

The master bath appears functional -- but not attractive. It's a long, narrow room, and with only a set of sinks and two doors, that main area is going to have a cold, empty feel. Large shower . . . but are you hanging your towels on the back of the door?

In the secondary bath, I'd move the door farther towards the front of the house . . . and flip the swing so that when you walk in, you'll be facing the sink /mirror . . . and you won't have to close the door to walk towards the toilet or tub. Is that a linen tower adjacent to the sink (and in the master too)? You'll definitely want some storage IN each bathroom.

I'd consider bumping the master to the other side of the bedroom, where it could act as a sound barrier between the bedroom and the living room. I know, it makes sense to keep the two bathrooms back-to-back -- and I agree with that philosophy -- but they'll still be close, and at this point you have the head of your bed only 4" from the living room TV and stereo. Bonus: If you flip the bedroom and bath, you can have windows on two sides of the bedroom, and who doesn't like that?

I'd move the washer /dryer to the exterior wall to avoid the need for a long vent. But then the dyer will spew lint on the front porch. I'd also move the small sink into a line with the washer /dryer -- limiting your plumbing lines is a very big money saver.

• ivy07
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm also not sure about the need for a dining room. A couple of years ago when we first started talking about building, we were both indifferent on the need for one. DW has since been talked into wanting a dining room, but we don't particularly care for the location of the dining room and how it works with the foyer. When it is just our immediate family, we would always eat in the kitchen. The dining room would just be used when we had people over and for parties.

As far as the kitchen goes, we visited a house that had the island oriented the way this one currently is and we both liked it. However, that house had a living room that was more in line with the the kitchen (longer east/west than north/south). We have had other people tell us they think the island should be turned 90 degrees. We are still trying to decide what to do.

I definitely like the ideas about moving the hall bath door forward and reversing the swing, and adding a window to the hall bath.

As far as the master bath goes, I'll run the idea of switching it to the other side of the bathroom by my wife. I do like the idea of adding windows to the west side of the bedroom. The shower in the master will be cut down two feet. I would like to add some small windows to the master bath (if it's left in it's current position). Both bathrooms will have linen cabinets.

Thanks again for the feedback. We definitely have some more thinking to do.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

That foundation jog between the garage and the office - it is expensive to build, makes the office awkward in shape, and does nothing to enhance the exterior elevation.

• ivy07
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks pixie. That foundation jog will be eliminated when we push the garage back a couple of feet. We are going to push the garage back 2ft and bring the back wall of the house in 2ft so that they line up and we will be making the roof-line simpler in doing so.