Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cobbyw_gw

Revised Beach House Plan for Review--please critique

cobbyw
9 years ago

we are building a beach house in seagrove beach, florida. it will have no view. we will rent it and use as vacation home for our family of 5. ideally, we'd have a master and bedroom downstairs with two bedrooms and bunk/den upstairs.
please share your thoughts on the layout. we are trying to keep it around 2500 SF and use large dormers on second story. initial feedback was that we needed more living space so we added 2 feet to living room and increased size of upstairs den. thank you!

Comments (7)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Can't read a dam thing, dimensions or room types......

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

You could have just added this to your earlier thread. I think what a lot of we're getting at is more common space downstairs - in terms of another room. Since the kitchen and grat room are connected, you essentially have 1 space. If you took the guest room space as common space - even if it were open to the great room, just having that L would create differentiation in space. One area for adults, one for kids. Or separate areas for men and women.

You made a point of 30% of the homes being year round. But who wants to live in a 5 bedroom house with no living space?

• cobbyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

trying to see if this version is able to be viewed. I apologize as I am new to this. my file is a PDF and TGW wont let me upload it so I had to take photo of it.

• cobbyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

does it help at all that there is a front screened porch and a back open porch off the dining area? Two porches add living space. There is also the den upstairs which we just enlarged. I agree, if someone were to buy this for year round living, they might make some changes but right now, we are building the house for our needs. We looked at many other houses in the area, and it is not uncommon to have somewhat limited living space. I appreciate all the feedback very much!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Convert it to a jpeg and you should be able to post the picture.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

My inlaws' pool/golf house in Florida has four bedrooms + an upstairs office they use as a bedroom and I just don't think it has it has much more common living space than this. When there's a real houseful everyone's at the beach, in the lanai, on the golf course, or happy to hang out en famille. The living room has a big sectional and two recliners. It's rare everyone would be watching tv at the same time. The kids are often in their room on their iPods if they're not in the pool or playing games at the table. In your house they'd use the upstairs den. There's no separate rec room (that's the lanai).

Since my inlaws bought it primarily for themselves, it has a large master suite with big bathroom and WIC. Seems sensible to me as they are down there six months a year compared to my one.

The one thing they do have is a den on the main floor for an adult away room...it can be used as a bedroom if need be but is set up as a grown up room 90% of the time. My FIL uses it as his office and his fave tv is in there.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 22:23

• Kjerstin Boorstein
    9 years ago

The image is a little small for me to see the dimensions and details, but it looks like a great house and will make a very nice rental. I like what I can see of the exterior, as well. If you fill the house up with guests, the porches, living area and upstairs den will all be well utilized and appreciated.

If you are still concerned about more living space, you could rearrange the guest suite so that the bathroom is on the same wall as the master bath and frame the guest/living room wall so that you could add double french doors to the living room in the future.